Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    1 death
    686 cases.

Are deaths starting to slow even more?

Less deaths reported on the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I take it there's no nphet briefing today?

I know there's a cabinet subcommittee meeting so I guess some of the nphet are attending.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I take it there's no nphet briefing today?

I know there's a cabinet subcommittee meeting so I guess some of the nphet are attending.

Correct

https://twitter.com/nicole_gernon/status/1363906646309748746?s=20

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »

Don't forget that over 100k Healthcare workers have had at least one shot of the vaccines

Actually 73k have had both doses and 117 k first dose

https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Stheno wrote: »
    Less deaths reported on the weekends
    Deaths are something of a meaningless metric when it comes to current progress, given that these can have happened up to three months ago.

The hospital report and to a lesser extent case numbers are more telling when it comes to indicating progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Confirmed cases each Monday this year.

22/2 - 686
    15/2 - 821
    8/2 - 829
    1-2 - 1062
    25/1 - 1372
    18/1 - 2121
    11/1 - 4929
    4/1 - 6110

7 day average in cases for every Monday this year.

22/2 - 773
    15/2 - 862
    8/2 - 991
    1/2 - 1244
    25/1 - 2018
    18/1 - 3201
    11/1 - 6370
    4/1 - 3015

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

hynesie08 wrote: »

Tangible benefit from the vaccination program as so many health care workers are vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's very interesting. Boris clearly made a Hames of it early on. But the man ended up in ICU. If you think that didn't have an effect on his outlook I don't know what would. They are flying ahead with the single dose strategy which seems to be backed up by real world data now. I didn't subscribed to the narrative that he invented the variant and I don't subscribe to the fact he is waffling about a plan for opening up. Everything is subject to change of course. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Don't forget that over 100k Healthcare workers have had at least one shot of the vaccines

I know, but seeing those numbers drop that rapidly is still spectacular. (it was a happy wow)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    This is the third of fourth time I've seen people fall completely for Johnson's blue-sky bullshít.

The UK's plan is wildly optimistic. And it's not the first time the government over there has launched a plan that they've had to eventually had roll back on. It's not even the second time.

Johnson and the rest of his cronies love getting people looking the other way and talking about "plans" instead of focusing on their catastrophic death toll.

Johnson has announced numerous plans and promises that have either never been delivered or have had to be rolled back on. He's a populist spoofer with a long list of undelivered promises.

People are endlessly cynical about our government, not without reason, but yet lap up every bit of weightless guff from BoJo? Even though his record through the pandemic has been utterly disastrous. Where's the critical thinking there?

I hope the UK plans work, because it offers a clear pathway and plan for everyone, but anyone with a brain in their head should be a bit cautious before we announce the genius of their plan

I do agree that that is exactly what Boris is doing , getting the public to focus on positivity after they have had a desperately bad year, much of which is their government's fault .
    And he is doing it very well, it is working . Not one negative comment on the BBC News from anyone , scientists or opposition alike.

But we do not deserve the appallingly poor communication and response from our government either .
    One can admire the different political smarts of one and be critical of the inept carryon of the other , and still recognise that both could have or be handling things differently!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Deaths are something of a meaningless metric when it comes to current progress, given that these can have happened up to three months ago.

The hospital report and to a lesser extent case numbers are more telling when it comes to indicating progress.

Hospitalisations are the real metric. Hopefully get the big Monday drop again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Its aspirational and offers hope. Something to aim for.

Carrying on like this is simply unsustainable. Public compliance is dissipating fast. We have to have dates for reopening otherwise all public good will be gone.

Like I've said, I do hope the UK's plans succeed, but I think a dose of scepticism is required. This is Boris Johnson, the man's track record with plans and promises related to Covid is not so good. He's still the same guy, he hasn't become suddenly competent overnight. "All restrictions could be gone by June 21" - Do you believe that?

I agree people need goals and aspirations, but the UK plans are very, very optimistic and some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

What time will the leaks start about the "Living with Covid" plan?

celt262 wrote: »

I'd say about 8:15 when they break for dinner :D

My money is on either Michael Lehane or Gav Reilly to be first

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

celt262 wrote: »

Surprised it isn’t live streamed its usually out so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

The 5k rule is going out the window fast. Based on recent numbers there is no case for maintaining it outside of Dublin, however that probably won't go down too well.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospitalisations are the real metric. Hopefully get the big Monday drop again tonight
    Fingers crossed. There is everything to be hopeful for, even if this thread forgets that - especially when it bangs on about plans, dates and targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'd say about 8:15 when they break for dinner :D

My money is on either Michael Lehane or Gav Reilly to be first

Leo might have his phone in under the table...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tangible benefit from the vaccination program as so many health care workers are vaccinated.

At the NPHET briefing last week Colm Henry said the reduction in community spread was the significant factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    1 death
    686 cases.

Are deaths starting to slow even more?

Yes. 7 day average in deaths is 27, last Monday it was 40 per day and the peak was 60 per day average at the start of this month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I had the radio on in the car and I switched from Capital Liverpool’s news about nightclubs reopening back to Today FM shortly after 5. 20 minutes of Staines & Killeen telling us Level 5 until autumn, vaccines won’t work in the medium term and the only answer is a Zero-Covid approach. The words “broken” and “record” come to mind.

If this shíte continues uncontested daily on the radio it’s going to ensure people stop complying with restrictions and drive morale down even lower. It’s downright irresponsible to have this on all the time. I sat in to the car at 9am this morning and the top story on local news here was Sam McConkey saying the vaccines were useless because of variants. I flicked to Newstalk for 20 minutes of Luke O’Neill giddily telling us about how it’s coming to an end and science is taking us one step closer with every passing day.

The clear plan outlined by the UK (including the caveat of metrics needing to be met) is the right way to go here. It may be ambitious, but the people are at their wits end and it gives them light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile I may be able to watch Brits in the pub on Twitter whilst being 5.5km away from home in May if I’m lucky.

Arghus wrote: »
    Like I've said, I do hope the UK's plans succeed, but I think a dose of scepticism is required. This is Boris Johnson, the man's track record with plans and promises related to Covid is not so good. He's still the same guy, he hasn't become suddenly competent overnight. "All restrictions could be gone by June 21" - Do you believe that?

I agree people need goals and aspirations, but the UK plans are very, very optimistic and some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls.

The usual suspects are fawning over Johnson now because they have long held that the approach the government has taken was the wrong one. There are "let it rip" merchants on here, don't forget.

Anything, anything that potentially casts a poor light or question on our policy is to be used as a stick to beat it with. 200 posts back they were using mental health as the stick.

This is just more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Can anyone explain how given that the supposedly much more transmissable British variant is now the majority of cases in Ireland, Cork has still managed to get cases down from one of the highest incidences at the start of Jan to second lowest now?

(Apart from us being great down here :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

People thinking and writing on public forums that they are done with the pandemic and restrictions once all the older people are vaccinated.

What makes an older person more worthy of vaccine and protection from Covid than someone younger. We will be in March next week and the over 70s still aren't be seen to but the over 85s will have their first shot.

There will be many people in the 60 to 70 age bracket that would fall prey to the virus. What makes an 85 years old life more worthy of vaccine than a 65 to 69 year old?

I followed the lockdown and the restrictions to do my best at protecting everybody around me. I don't intend on getting selfish now and thinking about only myself and my own happiness at this stage. I think the numbers are still to high and I don't want to contribute to rising cases. I have enough patience to keep at it for another while yet anyways even if I am cracking up. There's great solace in pouring from a large bottle in the evenings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

What are the health reasons for the 5km restriction-heard its to do with landlords and evicting people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Turtwig wrote: »
    Can't disagree with anything you said about our leadership. Have to ask though what has Boris actually done? What action has he taken?

As far as I'm concerned both sides of the British Isles have been woeful in this. They're awfully lucky vaccinations are bailing them out.

Came out strongly before Christmas telling people not to do household get togethers as numbers too high . Unlike ours , alliwed all visits up to StStephen's Day , by then damage done .

I was so disappointed that MM did not react more strongly to the rising numbers the week before Christmas .
    Everyone could see what was coming, but he was so weak and afraid to tell people what they needed to do, which was lockdown , yes the week before Christmas, but that was what should have happened .

And of course vaccines , whether we agree or not with the emergency authorisation.
    They have gone at it hell fir leather, because they had to, bigtime, with their infection rates and deaths but that was what has turned the tide for them . And him .
    No I am not a Bojo fan ;) but he is showing a lot more leadership in this now then our lot .
    I wouldn't trade places with them , we will get there are getting there , but it is slow and people need our politicians to step up now and be more proactive .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Came out strongly before Christmas telling people not to do household get togethers as numbers too high . Unlike ours , alliwed all visits up to StStephen's Day , by then damage done .

Boris took England out of national lockdown in October with very high infection rates and hospitalisations, against all the advice. This led to an extremely bad surge in November and December (worse than ours going by deaths). With hospitals literally overloaded and beyond capacity, he was forced into a last minute turnaround just before Christmas. They were still allowing crowds at football matches in some parts of the UK in December.Then he insisted that schools would reopen in January, and they did. For one day. Before closing under enormous political pressure. If Boris has shown leadership, then I am a sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how given that the supposedly much more transmissable British variant is now the majority of cases in Ireland, Cork has still managed to get cases down from one of the highest incidences at the start of Jan to second lowest now?

(Apart from us being great down here :) )

Lockdown really seems to work in Cork. On all 3 lockdowns we've gone down to 20th or lower in the county list (its been 26th a few times). I know the county has some very rural areas but there are 250k in the city and 400k in the extended metro area so its hard to see why it is doing so much better than Galway, Limerick and Dublin (obviously Dublin has a far denser population but Cork has a rate now of 147 per 100,000 to Dublin's 350).

The only time we went to the top parts of the list was in November / December but that presumably was because pubs opened in Cork for a while and the urban effect really kicked in then (pubs were still closed in dublin etc).

Anyone got any explanation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement