Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

mr zulu wrote: »
    Fair dues to the UK road map, listening to Boris giveing the English great hope, mean while in Ireland, Al we have is doom and gloom.

Either Irish politicians are clueless (v. likely) or they hate us that much they want to rob us of our time by keeping us in lockdown (well lets not rule anything out)
    The fact that we are lagging behind (far behind) second rate economies like Serbia is a damning indictment of the West to cooperate together and similarly with (NATO enemy) Russia. They would sooner people die here than give Russia money for a known good vaccine. Israel paid what, 10 dollars (?) extra to get the vaccine secured and they get that back in the first hour of having someone back working rather than locked down. Plus the health benefits of not having a locked down society.
    We really are scraping the barrel in terms of medical and informed response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    Like I've said, I do hope the UK's plans succeed, but I think a dose of scepticism is required. This is Boris Johnson, the man's track record with plans and promises related to Covid is not so good. He's still the same guy, he hasn't become suddenly competent overnight. "All restrictions could be gone by June 21" - Do you believe that?

I agree people need goals and aspirations, but the UK plans are very, very optimistic and some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls.

Oof , hard not to be crushed by that Arghus !

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Lockdown really seems to work in Cork. On all 3 lockdowns we've gone down to 20th or lower in the county list (its been 26th a few times). I know the county has some very rural areas but there are 250k in the city and 400k in the extended metro area so its hard to see why it is doing so much better than Galway, Limerick and Dublin (obviously Dublin has a far denser population but Cork has a rate now of 147 per 100,000 to Dublin's 350).

The only time we went to the top parts of the list was in November / December but that presumably was because pubs opened in Cork for a while and the urban effect really kicked in then (pubs were still closed in dublin etc).

Anyone got any explanation?

Mass testing in ul is the cause of most of the cases atm in Limerick unfortunately

What are the health reasons for the 5km restriction-heard its to do with landlords and evicting people

That’s my understanding too. Somehow (and God knows how) the 5km rule has got tied to the eviction ban

The usual suspects are fawning over Johnson now because they have long held that the approach the government has taken was the wrong one. There are "let it rip" merchants on here, don't forget.

Anything, anything that potentially casts a poor light or question on our policy is to be used as a stick to beat it with. 200 posts back they were using mental health as the stick.

This is just more of the same.

Ah now , you can't be including me in that ..rampant generalisation there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be wary of scientists bringing gifts like this. IMO, it's best to assume that we are looking at 6 months and more.

That article is specifically relating to the US. I think it's entirely possible. Cases in my state have been in a rapid descent since the end of January and our positivity rate is now under 10% after being at 22% at the start of the year. Hospitalisations are dropping too with under 1000 covid patients currently. too early to be solely due to the vaccines and everything is still open and has been all through the surge, so yeah it certainly feels like it's ending tbh. I've said on here before that the US will be over this before Europe simply because of the amount of people infected, combined with the vaccination effort it really does seem to possibly be the beginnings of herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Like I've said, I do hope the UK's plans succeed, but I think a dose of scepticism is required. This is Boris Johnson, the man's track record with plans and promises related to Covid is not so good. He's still the same guy, he hasn't become suddenly competent overnight. "All restrictions could be gone by June 21" - Do you believe that?

I agree people need goals and aspirations, but the UK plans are very, very optimistic and some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls.

Its wildly optimistic - in your opinion. Lets get that bit straight.

People loving dismissing the UK on here. They dismissed their vaccination plans, dismissed prioritising first doses, the UK were proven to be clearly correct there. They've also hit their vaccination targets so far so there is no reason to doubt a plan that hinges on the outcome of those targets.

Boris is just the messenger, whether or not they can remove restrictions has little to do with his competency and lots to do with their vaccine rollout which is performing very well.

Boris took England out of national lockdown in October with very high infection rates and hospitalisations, against all the advice. This led to an extremely bad surge in November and December (worse than ours going by deaths). With hospitals literally overloaded and beyond capacity, he was forced into a last minute turnaround just before Christmas. They were still allowing crowds at football matches in some parts of the UK in December.Then he insisted that schools would reopen in January, and they did. For one day. Before closing under enormous political pressure. If Boris has shown leadership, then I am a sheep.

I know all this , have been here through this too , you know .

Never said that he was perfect or even good , but he has done better than ours since Christmas .

To add , my original point was that ours are so bad they are worse than Boris !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I here what you are saying. I agree it's optimistic. I want to say he is an idiot but that would be playing the man not the ball.

Fact is their vaccine rollout is significant. They've taken a punt on the single dose which now has real world data behind it. I thought the man was an idiot going around shaking hands with people in covid wards. (I think most would agree now.)

We have limit resources and they should be deployed to have maximal effect if those studies prove true.

It's a fast moving situation and where good data surfaces we should take it and run with it. i.e implement it yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

That’s my understanding too. Somehow (and God knows how) the 5km rule has got tied to the eviction ban

Most people think its to do with the spreading of the virus complete bullsh1t so -we are tied to 5km to help people not be evicted from their property ridiculous -their keeping this fairly quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

You say you hope his plans succeed - but I kinda get the feeling that you really don't. You don't like Boris, we get that. But as PM he has a huge team of advisors and also has a yoke called delegation working for him too, so it's not like he is personally driving the vaccine bus around the UK himself.

Further, it's important to remember that all of the early errors in this for the UK came during the iron fist in the velvet glove period that was of one Dominic Mckenzie Cummings. Like it or not, Boris is overseeing an almighty roll-out of vaccines... one of the most advanced in the whole world, having already scored huge on the backing/funding of vaccines and then contracting the quantities for the UK. That all seems pretty damn impressive to me as I sit here waiting for my jab inside the mighty EU.

I think I remember you saying at some point that you work in a supermarket, yes? So forgive me if I take your opinions on Boris with no more than a smirk. And if I needed to know anything else about you before coming to an informed judgement on you, then your talk about fangirls fawning over Boris brings it to me.

People need very, very optimistic right now. Everyone knows that these plans may have to be rolled back somewhat at some point... but just today... for one day... can we not enjoy that someone, somewhere, currently, is doing something that appears to be working; enacting a plan that has purpose and offering hope to everyone that just maybe, this one may actually be the right way to get us all out of this sh!t.

I don’t think that this plan is too optimistic at all. It’s very much closer to what the scientists want

Like it’s another 3 months before just 6 people from 2 households can meet inside. It’s a slow exit with lots of pauses. Much less ambitious than anything that has been done beforehand

The only bit which is overly optimistic is the June ambition of social distancing being pretty much ditched. But that of course is on the back of effectively everyone being vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's quite amusing to watch the negativity on display here to the UK roadmap, almost like there is hope it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

The UK government’s own advisers don’t seem very confident.

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1363888315997556740?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think that was dated feb 7th. The studies released today have changed the situation.

When the situation has changed. You should update your plan.

Briefing on bbc going through those studies now.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963400/S1116_SPI-M-O_Summary_of_modelling_on_scenario_for_easing_restrictions.pdf

544623.png

edit: when the situation changes you should also update your avatar.

It strikes me that those assumptions don’t take account of reduced transmission with the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I think that was dated feb 7th. The studies released today have changed the situation.

When the situation has changed. You should update your plan.

Fair enough. As I stated earlier, I honestly hope it works for them, but remain to be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

marno21 wrote: »
    I had the radio on in the car and I switched from Capital Liverpool’s news about nightclubs reopening back to Today FM shortly after 5. 20 minutes of Staines & Killeen telling us Level 5 until autumn, vaccines won’t work in the medium term and the only answer is a Zero-Covid approach. The words “broken” and “record” come to mind.

If this shíte continues uncontested daily on the radio it’s going to ensure people stop complying with restrictions and drive morale down even lower. It’s downright irresponsible to have this on all the time. I sat in to the car at 9am this morning and the top story on local news here was Sam McConkey saying the vaccines were useless because of variants. I flicked to Newstalk for 20 minutes of Luke O’Neill giddily telling us about how it’s coming to an end and science is taking us one step closer with every passing day.

The clear plan outlined by the UK (including the caveat of metrics needing to be met) is the right way to go here. It may be ambitious, but the people are at their wits end and it gives them light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile I may be able to watch Brits in the pub on Twitter whilst being 5.5km away from home in May if I’m lucky.
    Heard that interview on Matt Cooper earlier with Killeen and Staines,they were really saying that vaccines are not the answer and if you were to believe them then we will be in permanent lockdown. Disgraceful from Matt that he didn't have another guest on to challenge the both of them

I disagree that people are being negative because they want Boris and the UK to fail.
    But it is annoying that all along we were the good boys/ girls (:) ) in Europe and the Brits were a fvcking disaster , but now, through through, seemingly , no fault of ours , we are doing badly and sitting twiddling our thumbs while UK looks like they will get to go away on holidays again this summer .

They really are getting to have their cake and eat it , aren't they ?

But they have shown everyone what a real loss of control over this can result in , and how a good vaccination program and strict lockdown can turn it around .
    Also how a different direction of leadership can influence all the above and get a diverse population on board
    From a prat to a hero in 10 easy steps...first being sack your beloved but perverse adviser .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It's quite amusing to watch the negativity on display here to the UK roadmap, almost like there is hope it fails.

I have not really followed the thread but I find this surprising. Shouldnt we all here hope it succeeds ?. Its likely to be a template we follow only a few weeks later if succesfull. Seems like a reasonable plan aside from the foreign travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Happy for the Brits, hope they see it through, be a great buzz there this Summer if they pull it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Good luck to the UK hope it goes well fingers crossed love to see fans at games at the end of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Hopefully more businesses follow suit. They can shove their restrictions into Christmas and 2022.

Paul Treyvaud on twitter:
    I have decided I am opening my restaurant July 1st no matter what. That gives them 4 months to sort out everything. I’ve done everything I’ve been told to do. 55k came in from uk with that variant, now over 1500 from Brazil.

The problem is no longer us. It’s an incompetent Gov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The UK are offering good news to people, a bit of hope.

We get nothing but doom and gloom.

That's the difference when you don't turn health officials into celebrities. I have no idea who the Tony Holohan equivalent is in the UK.

America have Fauci and he's been out today telling people that facemask may be around for few years.

They need to f**k into the background

wadacrack wrote: »
    I have not really followed the thread but I find this surprising. Shouldnt we all here hope it succeeds ?. Its likely to be a template we follow only a few weeks later if succesfull. Seems like a reasonable plan aside from the foreign travel.

Absolutely.
    They have built in some very good safeguards and intervals of five weeks which will allow them to backtrack at any time if there are any negative trends.
    It is " cautious and careful" but it is a plan .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

The UK doesn't have a plan for rolling out the second doses. Boris Johnson avoided answering a question about what the plan is for second doses. If the first doses will slow down to allow for second doses or if the vaccinations ramp up to allow for both second and first doses. They don't have a plan in place for second vaccine doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s not that it’s just I don’t think there’s a snowball change in hell/fart in a spacesuit chance that the brits will pull it off

It’s typical boris “boosterism” and bluster.

Usually when something he says is too good to be true, it is...

wadacrack wrote: »

Well apparently you are a niave fangirl if you believe the UK plan may work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The UK are offering good news to people, a bit of hope.

We get nothing but doom and gloom.

That's the difference when you don't turn health officials into celebrities. I have no idea who the Tony Holohan equivalent is in the UK.

America have Fauci and he's been out today telling people that facemask may be around for few years.

They need to f**k into the background

Not at all. People should listen to the likes of fauci in the states. It’s a nightmare over there precisely because ppl dismissed him and other experts.

• Advertisement

It’s not that it’s just I don’t think there’s a snowball change in hell/fart in a spacesuit chance that the brits will pull it off

It’s typical boris “boosterism” and bluster.

Usually when something he says is too good to be true, it is...

So you don't believe the reports released today on how the vaccines reduces transmission of the virus and the necessity for hospitalisations? Or that the UK has given the vaccine to roughly a quarter of their population.
    So it's all lies eh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement