Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    Slide6.jpg
    Slide7.jpg
    Slide8.jpg
    Slide9.jpg
    Slide10.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The UK are offering good news to people, a bit of hope.

We get nothing but doom and gloom.

That's the difference when you don't turn health officials into celebrities. I have no idea who the Tony Holohan equivalent is in the UK.

America have Fauci and he's been out today telling people that facemask may be around for few years.

They need to f**k into the background

Chris witty I think. This is all based on the effectiveness of vaccine. The R may creep up but as the proportion of people vaccinated increases then the effect is dampened and the risk to hospitalisation and death lessens.

This is a really positive day. UK are absolutely jumping on the news of this real world data.

Putting to one side politics and our own response. That data out of UK can only be good news.

Also Boris in major need of a hair cut.

Heard that interview on Matt Cooper earlier with Killeen and Staines,they were really saying that vaccines are not the answer and if you were to believe them then we will be in permanent lockdown. Disgraceful from Matt that he didn't have another guest on to challenge the both of them

I heard that interview. Staines in particular was an absolute disgrace. At one stage Cooper was so astonished by his palpable desperation for the vaccines to fail that he was absolutely speechless for a short time.

We'll probably never know the damage that was done to our vaccination programme today by Staines. But any young and healthy people listening to his "the vaccines won't work" rant will probably have been put off getting themselves vaccinated.

I can't help but think that was exactly his intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

marno21 wrote: »
    I had the radio on in the car and I switched from Capital Liverpool’s news about nightclubs reopening back to Today FM shortly after 5. 20 minutes of Staines & Killeen telling us Level 5 until autumn, vaccines won’t work in the medium term and the only answer is a Zero-Covid approach. The words “broken” and “record” come to mind.

If this shíte continues uncontested daily on the radio it’s going to ensure people stop complying with restrictions and drive morale down even lower. It’s downright irresponsible to have this on all the time. I sat in to the car at 9am this morning and the top story on local news here was Sam McConkey saying the vaccines were useless because of variants. I flicked to Newstalk for 20 minutes of Luke O’Neill giddily telling us about how it’s coming to an end and science is taking us one step closer with every passing day.

The clear plan outlined by the UK (including the caveat of metrics needing to be met) is the right way to go here. It may be ambitious, but the people are at their wits end and it gives them light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile I may be able to watch Brits in the pub on Twitter whilst being 5.5km away from home in May if I’m lucky.

It’s horrendous how the so called professional journalists are allowing these lads peddle this stuff non stop and unchallenged.some of these guys are a bigger danger to society than the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The UK government’s own advisers don’t seem very confident.

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1363888315997556740?s=21

Don't mind SAGE or NPHET

They would shut down society for eternity if they had the power to do so due to infectious diseases

That's not an exaggeration avoiding illness is a way of life for them . One ill person is one too many

You listen to what they have to say and use it whatever is best for your country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

SeaMermaid wrote: »
    The UK doesn't have a plan for rolling out the second doses. Boris Johnson avoided answering a question about what the plan is for second doses. If the first doses will slow down to allow for second doses or if the vaccinations ramp up to allow for both second and first doses. They don't have a plan in place for second vaccine doses.

Yes.
    They are starting into 2nd doses from end of Feb so their vaccination schedule will slow accordingly .
    Need to vaccinate more than half of the population still , roughly , before they reach herd immunity ?
    Anybody better at maths ? ( should be most of you , I would imagine ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

AdamD wrote: »
    Its wildly optimistic - in your opinion. Lets get that bit straight.

People loving dismissing the UK on here. They dismissed their vaccination plans, dismissed prioritising first doses, the UK were proven to be clearly correct there. They've also hit their vaccination targets so far so there is no reason to doubt a plan that hinges on the outcome of those targets.

Boris is just the messenger, whether or not they can remove restrictions has little to do with his competency and lots to do with their vaccine rollout which is performing very well.

An important factor now is that ghoul Dominick Cummins is well and truly gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

So you don't believe the reports released today on how the vaccines reduces transmission of the virus and the necessity for hospitalisations? Or that the UK has given the vaccine to roughly a quarter of their population.
    So it's all lies eh?

The UK is hardly inspiring. They are over selling their progress out from the pandemic. A quarter of the population are partially vaccinated and they have no real plans for rolling out second doses of vaccine which was demonstrated at tonights briefing and Boris bluffing around a question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I heard that interview. Staines in particular was an absolute disgrace. At one stage Cooper was so astonished by his palpable desperation for the vaccines to fail that he was absolutely speechless for a short time.

We'll probably never know the damage that was done to our vaccination programme today by Staines. But any young and healthy people listening to his "the vaccines won't work" rant will probably have been put off getting themselves vaccinated.

The virus has got his show record listening figures last few months they want this sh1t to continue these guys are box office for him even if they are spouting sh1t -he doesnt care abt the consequences -before this his show barely got a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Cummings argued for an earlier lockdown back last March.

• Advertisement

100% That was absolutely going through my head. He was a massive pr!ck by all accounts and wrong footed a whole country.

Arlene Foster has said our slowness in getting vaccines could affect their reopening phase in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SeaMermaid wrote: »
    The UK is hardly inspiring.

A damn sight more inspiring than Martin and his merry bunch of clowns at the moment imo.
    You should read some of the reports today about reduced transmission/hospitalisations from the UK. The gap between first and second doses was a risky move by the UK but it seems to be working in their favour, don't worry though there is a chance it might fail.

100% That was absolutely going through my head. He was a massive pr!ck by all accounts and wrong footed a whole country.

He tricked a whole country? Wow, impressive for a man many had never heard of until the controversy last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Arlene Foster has said our slowness in getting vaccines could affect their reopening phase in the North.

Arlene in using any excuse to have a go at Ireland shocker.

In other news, water is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The UK are offering good news to people, a bit of hope.

We get nothing but doom and gloom.

That's the difference when you don't turn health officials into celebrities. I have no idea who the Tony Holohan equivalent is in the UK.

America have Fauci and he's been out today telling people that facemask may be around for few years.

They need to f**k into the background

That's a very harsh take on what fauci said, below is the actual transcript:

"Asked if Americans should expect to still be wearing masks into next year, Dr Fauci said: "I think it is possible that that's the case."

He added that it depended on the level of the virus in communities and potential virus variants.

"Obviously, I think we are going to have a significant degree of normality beyond the terrible burden that all of us have been through over the last year," Dr Fauci said."

The virus has got his show record listening figures last few months they want this sh1t to continue these guys are box office for him even if they are spouting sh1t -he doesnt care abt the consequences -before this his show barely got a mention

Why anyone would think that
    a) young people are listening to Today FM ,
    or b) that anyone with sense would believe anything they hear on the Denis O' Brien School of Infonomics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just as a casual aside, to hell with Foster.

In other news Arlene is ....(fill in your answer here)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting article on when we "return to normal". It's written from a US perspective, but still relevant to us:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2021/02/pandemic-daily-life-normal-summer-fall/618108/

• Advertisement

nice especially after they infected thousands down here with their rubbish lockdown

Not at all. People should listen to the likes of fauci in the states. It’s a nightmare over there precisely because ppl dismissed him and other experts.

He advised against mask usage at the start of the pandemic, like our medical people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SeaMermaid wrote:
    The UK is hardly inspiring. They are over selling their progress out from the pandemic. A quarter of the population are partially vaccinated and they have no real plans for rolling out second doses of vaccine which was demonstrated at tonights briefing and Boris bluffing around a question.
    It's already been proven that one dose of the vaccine is highly affective.

Cummings argued for an earlier lockdown back last March.

Probably to suit his holiday or childcare arrangements

She's making a valid point as we share the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Well if it’s the hope that kills you, ain’t nobody dying anytime soon.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Probably to suit his holiday or childcare arrangements

Ah you seem to know a lot about him.

b0nk1e wrote: »

Oh my gosh. Just listened to the replay. Gerry Killeen suggesting that we could be like Manaus in Northern Brazil soon, and that vaccines will not work. He actually, literally, said those words

He should be off the radio. That was absolutely f*ckin shocking!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I stopped listening to Cooper after Trump got elected, there was only so much Trump related bile/ ****e I could tolerate.

• Advertisement

Oh my gosh. Just listened to the replay. Gerry Killeen suggesting that we could be like Manaus in Northern Brazil soon, and that vaccines will not work. He actually, literally, said those words

He should be off the radio. That was absolutely f*ckin shocking!!!!

who ever heard of killeen before this hes enjoying his moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement