Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

who ever heard of killeen before this hes enjoying his moment

I would hope that someone is going to tell his this time that he has gone too far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

more chat more reaction more killeen thats how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You say you hope his plans succeed - but I kinda get the feeling that you really don't. You don't like Boris, we get that. But as PM he has a huge team of advisors and also has a yoke called delegation working for him too, so it's not like he is personally driving the vaccine bus around the UK himself.

Further, it's important to remember that all of the early errors in this for the UK came during the iron fist in the velvet glove period that was of one Dominic Mckenzie Cummings. Like it or not, Boris is overseeing an almighty roll-out of vaccines... one of the most advanced in the whole world, having already scored huge on the backing/funding of vaccines and then contracting the quantities for the UK. That all seems pretty damn impressive to me as I sit here waiting for my jab inside the mighty EU.

I think I remember you saying at some point that you work in a supermarket, yes? So forgive me if I take your opinions on Boris with no more than a smirk. And if I needed to know anything else about you before coming to an informed judgement on you, then your talk about fangirls fawning over Boris brings it to me.

People need very, very optimistic right now. Everyone knows that these plans may have to be rolled back somewhat at some point... but just today... for one day... can we not enjoy that someone, somewhere, currently, is doing something that appears to be working; enacting a plan that has purpose and offering hope to everyone that just maybe, this one may actually be the right way to get us all out of this sh!t.

I'd rather see the UK succeed than win a few Internet brownie points, because it'd show all of us that a clear pathway out of this can be achieved and that the worst of this can be put behind us. Ultimately success in beating the virus and returning to a semblance of normal life means more to me than winning the meaningless back and forth here.

In retrospect I shouldn't have used the word "fangirls" because it does have mocking and misogynistic connotations, so I regret that.

But I still think my essential point stands: that of people not using the same amount of cynicism and critical thinking regardless of who it is that's delivering the message and what it is that is contained in that message.

As for bringing where I work into it. Maybe I don't know much after all, but I know a cheap shot when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Oh my gosh. Just listened to the replay. Gerry Killeen suggesting that we could be like Manaus in Northern Brazil soon, and that vaccines will not work. He actually, literally, said those words

He should be off the radio. That was absolutely f*ckin shocking!!!!

I posted on a different thread that anyone listening to that will have needed a stiff drink.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

more chat more reaction more killeen thats how it works

That true, I only listed to the recap just now to see how ridiculous he was being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I will NEVER forget Marion Finucaine discussing the economic collapse in an interview a couple of years before she died. She said that, while everyone was terrified and depressed, it made for 'great listening figures' for her programme.

That Battle Axe and her cronies in RTE kept the fear and negativity at full volume to sell the adverts.

And we see it happening again with Covid. They have no shame. I hope there is a groundswell reaction to their 'broadcasting charge' with lots of civil disobedience - like when Irish Water got handed their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Some people just loving the limelight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's already been proven that one dose of the vaccine is highly affective.

For 4 weeks it is yes
    Sure

Then it drops without a booster/finisher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd rather see the UK succeed than win a few Internet brownie points, because it'd show all of us that a clear pathway out of this can be achieved and that the worst of this can be put behind us. Ultimately success in beating the virus and returning to a semblance of normal life means more to me than winning the meaningless back and forth here.

In retrospect I shouldn't have used the word "fangirls" because it does have mocking and misogynistic connotations, so I regret that.

But I still think my essential point stands: that of people not using the same amount of cynicism and critical thinking regardless of who it is that's delivering the message and what it is that is contained in that message.

As for bringing where I work into it. Maybe I don't know much after all, but I know a cheap shot when I see it.

Agree with all except the critical thinking .
    I will always be critical everytime a politician , any politician, opens their mouth .

And that bit about the workplace by the other poster was just unnecessary and irrelevant .
    You are one of the most level headed and intelligent posters on here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The thing about the UK's plan is that it all rests on the reopening of schools going well.
    Their own data suggests it won't.

There's also been notable outbreaks of B117 in kids and schools in Italy, Israel, Denmark, the US, Canada and others.

I'm cautious to make any predictions as I was wrong about schools opening last year. I thought it would go a lot worse than it did.
    But look at us now, struggling to beat down this variant with a lockdown that is harsher than we had used in October. B117 is a different beast.

Fingers crossed for them, but it seems unlikely to pan out as planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play for acknowledging that the use of the fangirls mocking label was ill advised.
    Mentioning where you work was a cheap shot but that's a risk you take when you offer up any personal information. Plenty of posters here have been victim to cheap shots also , I note those that thanked your post with some amusement.
    Anyway don't let it get you down, your job doesn't define you. There is clear intelligence in your posts, even if I disagree with you sometimes.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Some people just loving the limelight

Philip Nolan in particular - Boredom Central in cognitive form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fair play for acknowledging that the use of the fangirls mocking label was ill advised.
    Mentioning where you work was a cheap shot but that's a risk you take when you offer up any personal information. Plenty of posters here have been victim to cheap shots also , I note those that thanked your post with some amusement.
    Anyway don't let it get you down, your job doesn't define you. There is clear intelligence in your posts, even if I disagree with you sometimes.

I'd agree with that sentiment. Keep the opinions coming Arghus. I tend to agree with you but sometimes I don't. You always make me think though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They are late with the leaks!

Wonder did someone confiscate Leo's phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Philip Nolan in particular - Boredom Central in cognitive form.

Reminds me of the boring priest in Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Stheno wrote: »

be strange if the print media don't have it for the morning editions so theyll have to have the scoop in the next hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I'd rather see the UK succeed than win a few Internet brownie points, because it'd show all of us that a clear pathway out of this can be achieved and that the worst of this can be put behind us.

If they pull this off, it's the best news since the start of this mess. I must say its really given me some hope this evening.

Credit where its due - their vaccination programe is impressive.

The North has just under half a million vaccines administered. That's equivalent to what.. maybe 1.5 million here?

Well done to them, and I have my fingers crossed for their success.

I think you should write the definitive book on the Irish pandemic experience, Arghus.

I'd read it.

TheDoctor wrote: »

I wish I had thought of that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The thing about the UK's plan is that it all rests on the reopening of schools going well.
    Their own data suggests it won't.

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think you should write the definitive book on the Irish pandemic experience, Arghus.

I'd read it.

Journal of The Plauge Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TheDoctor wrote: »

This one

FIFWVsTDo22N.gif

or this one

upoSqkUYuJrB.gif

Turtwig wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

They had a national lockdown in November. Very similar to our level 5 in October.
    Pubs, restaurants and non essential business shut. Schools open.

In Kent the virus kept on growing. Mobility data suggests it was well adhered to.
    I'm on my phone, but I'll post some graphs next time I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Stheno wrote: »

Leo is being held in solitary confinement with no access to a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Leo is being held in solitary confinement with no access to a phone.

It's funny when you find a leak you stop a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

This one

FIFWVsTDo22N.gif

or this one

upoSqkUYuJrB.gif

Exhibit A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Saw some principal in the UK on Channel 4 news complaining about the non-staggered re-opening. All pupils are supposed to be tested three times in the first week (which seems excessive), and she had 1800 pupils :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Journal of The Plauge Year.

Samuel Pepys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So you don't believe the reports released today on how the vaccines reduces transmission of the virus and the necessity for hospitalisations? Or that the UK has half given the vaccine to roughly a quarter of their population.
    So it's all lies eh?

FTFY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Arduach wrote: »
    Samuel Pepys :)

Daniel Defoe wrote Journal of the Plague Year.

Though Samuel Pepys also recorded entries about it in his diary (as well as the Great Fire of London, when he buried his Parmesan cheese in a friend’s garden to keep it safe!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement