Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What the hell were they doing in that meeting? Playing snakes and ladders? Making prank phone calls? Lighting their farts? Talking about boobies? Anything but coming up with any sort of plan anyway the shower of dopes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you read the whole article it says exactly what I have repeatedly posted on this thread. The giving of dates as targets has been shown to cause adherence to the restrictions to fall.

They are not fully to give dates if by giving them out sets the plan back. It's that simple. Politically it would be appealing if they could, but at least they are mature enough to recognise they can't.

If the population wasn't collectively so stupid and selfish they might be able to give us a timeline.

Agree in principle. Calling the population stupid is a bit much. So many have sacrificed so much and committed an unbelievable amount of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Don’t put anything past boris....

Loves to BS and make false promises for a bit of short term popularity

Political suicide if the U.K. plan doesn’t come to fruition! Irreversible is the term BJ used a good bit! I can’t see them fuçking this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What the hell were they doing in that meeting? Playing snakes and ladders? Making prank phone calls? Lighting their farts? Anything but coming up with any sort of plan anyway the shower of dopes

The plan is to be published/announced tomorrow. Donnelly said that a number of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Don’t put anything past boris....

Loves to BS and make false promises for a bit of short term popularity

So have you had a chance to read the reports about the effectiveness of the vaccine rollout in the UK that has shown to reduce transmission and hospitalisations? Their roadmap is based on the successful rollout of their vaccination programme. Boris gets to announce the messages he ain't sticking needles in people's arms or writing the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

Typical Micheal Martin. He and government know that it’s Level 5 to May. So leak it to the media. Get pushback. Genius advisor tells him just say it’s til April. Less anger. Then come April, add on your 4 weeks. Hope for less anger.

This plan might work. People might fall for it. Some won’t. But what it shows is the absolute contempt government are treating the people with now. It’s like a game to them. How can they come out of this with their seats safe for next election is what they’re concerned about. BS.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Agree in principle. Calling the population stupid is a bit much. So many have sacrificed so much and committed an unbelievable amount of effort.

It makes a change from calling people animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

If you read the whole article it says exactly what I have repeatedly posted on this thread. The giving of dates as targets has been shown to cause adherence to the restrictions to fall.

They are not fully to give dates if by giving them out sets the plan back. It's that simple. Politically it would be appealing if they could, but at least they are mature enough to recognise they can't.

If the population wasn't collectively so stupid and selfish they might be able to give us a timeline.

So the population are stupid and selfish except you I suppose or are you part of the population at all?

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Political suicide if the U.K. plan doesn’t come to fruition! Irreversible is the term BJ used a good bit! I can’t see them fuçking this up!

Political suicide? He already has one of the worst death rates in the world with this damn virus. He is shameless, and utterly untrustworthy

I would just caution ppl to be very very wary of his pronouncements.

Wouldn’t be below massaging/ tweaking the data in order to get a bit of short term popularity ...just be aware...and vigilant.

The plan is to be published/announced tomorrow. Donnelly said that a number of times

Without metrics, dates, something to strive for, there is no plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If boris is offered the full euros, he'll see through step 4 to it's conclusion. But if not, I can see him delaying it till the majority have received a first dose. People will accept it because they've gotten 75% of what they have been promised.

What the hell were they doing in that meeting? Playing snakes and ladders? Making prank phone calls? Lighting their farts? Talking about boobies? Anything but coming up with any sort of plan anyway the shower of dopes

They had to wake Eamon a few times and I believe they spent an hour trying to wrestle Leo's phone out of his hands. ( Joke btw ,this may not have happened)

Without metrics, dates, something to strive for, there is no plan.

Donnelly has said the update will be announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

A plan without dates or metrics is little more than a wish list and is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Folks, here's our plan, we may or may not open up certain parts of the country at some time in the future depending on metrics that we can't share with anyone as you were all very naughty little boys and girls months ago.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers as at 8pm today

676 total (down from 737 yesterday)
    154 in ICU (up from 149 yesterday)

Lowest total number since 2 Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Ficheall wrote: »
    Glad to hear it. Arghus has been a good contributor to the threads throughout.

You're not wrong - as contributors here go, few have posted more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

And all they needed to do was to dust down last year’s opening up plan...throw in dates. Caveat them with vaccination metrics, daily cases, hospital numbers etc....

Don't forget waiting lists and the Variant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

They had to wake Eamon a few times and I believe they spent an hour trying to wrestle Leo's phone out of his hands. ( Joke btw ,this may not have happened)

I believe Michael Martin left in a strop for 20 minutes after Leo Varadkar was referred to Taoiseach once again. :pac:

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Has your account been hacked or have you lost your mind? Some very strange posts out of you this evening across Boards.

What is strange about me saying Donnelly will be announcing the update tomorrow after cabinet....?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're not wrong - as contributors here go, few have posted more.

It's the quality from him that is his real measure not quantity. Not one for the snide one liner either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

I used to think this but I was wrong.

There is no plan.

The Government are only implementing full restrictions for 2 reasons.

1. They have no plan at all

2. They are treating the case numbers as a competition for recognition within the EU.

Nearly everyone I know will finish with invisible restrictions come March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Renault 5 wrote: »
    I used to think this but I was wrong.

There is no plan.

The Government are only implementing full restrictions for 2 reasons.

1. They have no plan at all

2. They are treating the case numbers as a competition for recognition within the EU.

Nearly everyone I know will finish with invisible restrictions come March.

Not announcing a plan with dates or metrics is no plan at all

The government will definitely lose compliance with the way they're acting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The one bit in the Independent that annoys me,

"But sources in Government Buildings insisted the Irish plan will not contain dates as research shows compliance with restrictions drops when dates are given"

Talk about treating people with disdain, give us something to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Turtwig wrote: »

Many have indeed but many stopped after the first two months after the novelty wore off. Controls were largely voluntary at the start but have had to become increasingly punitive to keep people in line. This could've been all over months ago if we collectively stayed in line. We could have had intercounty travel of the population didn't collectively take the piss at Christmas. Now we are all stuck looking at the same 5km because of all those collective decisions, we could have had an open country at this point.

Now, with the end finally in sight, with really only six to eight weeks of this hard grind left have people agitating to make the same mistakes over again. It's almost like they don't want this to end. The mind boggles.

Stephen Donnelly wasn’t so hopeful about schools opening next week on Claire Byrne. It’s all such a clusterfcuk like honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's the quality from him that is his real measure not quantity. Not one for the snide one liner either.

"...some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls."
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116371333#post116371333

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

"But sources in Government Buildings insisted the Irish plan will not contain dates as research shows compliance with restrictions drops when dates are given"

They can’t and won’t! Schools in doubt now according to Donnelly on CBLIVE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Compliance will fall drastically.

No plan, no target, no hope. How do you expect people to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

They last time there was a phased reopening numbers did continue to reduce (coinciding with better weather and outdoor activities).

When people were told that everything will open up for 4 weeks and then shut down again, people did kind of enjoy themselves (coinciding with indoor activities and shifty weather at the busiest family time of the year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Schools now in doubt next week.

The wheels are coming off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement