Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Society is keeping shut down so schools can return

The education of children is a priority

Oh great . Will we stop allowing them months off every summer now aswel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh great . Will we stop allowing them months off every summer now aswel ?

What on earth are you babbling on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sorry how is what is being quoted in Irish Examiner a plan? Also if the real reason that they have to keep the 5km is because of eviction legislation, then that's the 5k done for even for most reasonable people.

ETA: If what is being quoted in Irish Examiner is true, then it's really not a 'Living with Covid' plan but a 'Wait for the lifeboats to come' strategy...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I dont understand the reason for the 5km and eviction ban ? What am I missing ?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What on earth are you babbling on about?

Few months every year off is fine . Isn't now though . No 1 priority . It's just a political decision to keep disgruntled parents happy

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I dont understand the reason for the 5km and eviction ban ? What am I missing ?

The eviction ban is in force in law only when distance restrictions are in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Few months every year off is fine . Isn't now though . No 1 priority . It's just a political decision to keep disgruntled parents happy

Are you really this clueless to the importance of education and the school environment to children?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1364113349819121665

It seems the government can put dates together after all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The eviction ban is in force in law only when distance restrictions are in place
    But they could then increase to 20k as that is also a restriction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    But they could then increase to 20k as that is also a restriction ?

Apparently no, because the idiots tied it to 5K. I think you can blame FG on that one.

• Advertisement

Are you really this clueless to the importance of education and the school environment to children?

When it suits I assume ? Why is this not brought up every year when they have months off ?

When it suits I assume ? Why is this not brought up every year when they have months off ?

Children have been out of the classroom since December , I 'm curious what should take priority over education in your opinion and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

tom1ie wrote: »
    Can anyone link to the vaccine rollout site (I presume there is one?).
    I presume this site will tell us by what date each group of people will have been administered/offered a vaccine in Ireland?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1364113349819121665

It seems the government can put dates together after all

Donnelly really is such a car crash. That was completely inept last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

5km because of eviction bans???

What sort of nonsense is this??

If that's true then they can watch compliance fall through the floor. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before this evening, but do they seriously think no one can see through the stupid excuses/deflections they're coming up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Azatadine wrote: »

Especially when he apparently clarified a wrong position before coming on air

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Azatadine wrote: »

This is the man responsible for our response to this while crisis! He also managed to throw Josepha Madogan under the bus at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Are you for real?

They usually are in school as normal and have planned summer/esater/xmas/mid term holidays.

now they have had these holidays and no classroom teaching because of a pandemic.

Do you undestand?

tom1ie wrote: »
    Anyone?

From listening to different commentators in the last few days, different groups may be changed in order of priority from the previous groupings.I haven't seen an updated list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

big syke wrote: »
    Are you for real?

They usually are in school as normal and have planned summer/esater/xmas/mid term holidays.

now they have had these holidays and no classroom teaching because of a pandemic.

Do you undestand?

It's not just kids and parents who have suffered through this pandemic though. I can understand the desire to get children back in the classroom,
    I'm genuinely happy for my friends and coworkers and their children, but as someone without kids it's hard not to get frustrated that there's no sign of any change for the rest of us. I haven't seen my elderly parents since last summer because we're not comfortable meeting up until case numbers are lower or they're vaccinated. My partner's mother is immunocompromised, has been unwell for the past year, and living in another country. She wants to visit her as soon as possible, understandably. What if the reopening of schools puts any of that at risk?

I also want to be able to go for a long cycle again, or a drive to the beach. Those things are obviously less important than the above, but they still matter to a lot of people. I imagine to people living alone, they matter even more.

The point I'm perhaps clumsily making is yes, education is important, but everyone has different priorities for different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

From listening to different commentators in the last few days, different groups may be changed in order of priority from the previous groupings.I haven't seen an updated list.

They seem to be saying for a good 2-3 weeks now and nothing has changed.

It's not just kids and parents who have suffered through this pandemic though. I can understand the desire to get children back in the classroom,
    I'm genuinely happy for my friends and coworkers and their children, but as someone without kids it's hard not to get frustrated that there's no sign of any change for the rest of us. I haven't seen my elderly parents since last summer because we're not comfortable meeting up until case numbers are lower or they're vaccinated. My partner's mother is immunocompromised, has been unwell for the past year, and living in another country. She wants to visit her as soon as possible, understandably. What if the reopening of schools puts any of that at risk?

I also want to be able to go for a long cycle again, or a drive to the beach. Those things are obviously less important than the above, but they still matter to a lot of people. I imagine to people living alone, they matter even more.

The point I'm perhaps clumsily making is yes, education is important, but everyone has different priorities for different reasons.

It's not about sharing proceeds about

It's about priorities of state. And education is one of the key responsibilities of state.

Parents have to deal with the kids out of school on top of all the other restrictions that affect everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

"...some people on here - who no doubt have a self image of hard bitten cynical realism - are fawning over Boris and Co like naive fangirls."
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116371333#post116371333

I've no idea what that has to do with the fact that you can't let go the snide comments about a poster who contributes balanced and generally well thought out pieces.

Not what you want to hear, so you get the digs in. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This is the man responsible for our response to this while crisis! He also managed to throw Josepha Madogan under the bus at the same time

Yes, he did. They wont change him now but they really should stop him giving interviews. He's that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Kha1993

At least the crap about the 5km being to “limit mobility” can stop being shouted now. It serves one purpose and one only - to stop evictions. Lazy and incompetent legislators the main reason why.

Interesting if they were to say today exactly why they’re keeping the 5km. And choose not to enforce it.

Kha1993 wrote: »
    At least the crap about the 5km being to “limit mobility” can stop being shouted now. It serves one purpose and one only - to stop evictions. Lazy and incompetent legislators the main reason why.

Interesting if they were to say today exactly why they’re keeping the 5km. And choose not to enforce it.

Seriously lazy and thoughtless legislators.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's not about sharing proceeds about

It's about priorities of state. And education is one of the key responsibilities of state.

Parents have to deal with the kids out of school on top of all the other restrictions that affect everyone else.

People living alone have to deal with loneliness on top of all the other restrictions on everyone else.

People with sick relatives they can't see have to deal with the stress of that on top of everything else.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

I'm not arguing for schools to be kept closed or be made less of a priority. I hope the opening goes ahead as planned. I was sceptical about keeping them open before but it's been too long now. I'm just trying to point out why people feel frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

People living alone have to deal with loneliness on top of all the other restrictions on everyone else.

People with sick relatives they can't see have to deal with the stress of that on top of everything else.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

I'm not arguing for schools to be kept closed or be made less of a priority. I hope the opening goes ahead as planned. I was sceptical about keeping them open before but it's been too long now. I'm just trying to point out why people feel frustrated.

Bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Kha1993 wrote: »

While it's a mess, your logic's a bit strained there.

• Advertisement

When Salazar was the all-powerful prime minister of Portugal, he had a stroke and was expected to die. So they replaced him with another fella.

Imagine their surprise when Salazar recovered. Totes awks. Naturally enough he's still expecting to be prime minister. So they hit on the scheme of "allowing Salazar to govern in private". He wrote new laws and signed new death warrants, and happily "governed" for another year or so before expiring.

Of course, none of his laws or death warrants had any force outside his bedroom. His governance of Portugal was happening entirely in his own fantasy.

And that's what going to happen with Micheál Martin casually announcing - without bothering to ask our elected parliament - that mass house arrest and the prohibition on business is to move into at least the fifth month of our two-week lockdown. He will give speeches and little leaks about what he will permit the little people to do. But he'll be talking to himself, for the people will have long stopped listening to a Taoiseach on repeat, out of ideas, and driven mad by power.

Unless there are clearly-defined targets of which metrics have to be met, on which date, before every set of restrictions can be lifted, they will be completely ignored. It cannot just be another casual "yeah, April at least lads."

Compliance with his restrictions are going to disintegrate. And with it, his authority is going to disintegrate.

It's increasingly hard how to see the most arrogant and high-handed Taoiseach in the history of the State will last much past summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement