Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Gael23 wrote: »
    Listening to the radio it seems to me that the Gardai believe they can’t police the travel measures

They could possibly have checkpoints at airports and ports but can't see how they could enforce checking if people are restricting their movements, same way they can't realistically prevent people having parties in houses say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

wadacrack wrote: »
    Agree its too negative. People need to stop looking for bad news too tbf. Outraged by anything also which is a problem. Vaccine working very well in Israel and numbers are decreasing at a rapid rate.
    Decreasing at a rapid rate?
    They had just under 16k their record amount on the 25th of January....so still a long way to go.
    They have also banned all commercial flights in and out.

I agree about RTE btw, I tend to watch it once a day at 1, George Lee is constantly horrendously downbeat, Fergal Bowers much more measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I'm not getting this.
    On the one hand, people are not allowed to go to their grandparents funerals, and on the other hand, plane-loads of Spanish students are flying back to their host family's in Ireland.
    What in the name of god is going on with Michael Martin and this government allowing this cretinism to happen?

In case anyone wants to hear some spoofing :pac:

https://twitter.com/TodaywithClaire/status/1354364910608723969

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

gmisk wrote: »
    Decreasing at a rapid rate?
    They had just under 16k their record amount on the 25th of January....so still a long way to go.
    They have also banned all commercial flights in and out.

I agree about RTE btw, I tend to watch it once a day at 1, George Lee is constantly horrendously downbeat, Fergal Bowers much more measured.

Yea that should have said numbers here are decreasing at a rapid rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭bloopy

Eod100 wrote: »

When will Claire Byrne just change her name to Covid. Getting tired of the wait by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

I would literally rather lick a toilet seat than listen to this sleveen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I would literally rather lick a toilet seat than listen to this sleveen.

I think he'd tip me over the edge today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Thanks but my mental health requires me to ignore both Donnelly and Claire today. How can such clearly intelligent people also be completely brain-dead idiots? A conundrum.

Thanks but my mental health requires me to ignore both Donnelly and Claire today. How can such clearly intelligent people also be completely brain-dead idiots? A conundrum.

Debatable tbf ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I think you are confusing intelligence with the ability to achieve qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Another nice drop in hospital numbers, down 96 on yesterday, now 1727.

My estimate on Monday of 1,600 by the end of the week may have been too conservative, but either way it would be a huge bonus.

Note; be wary of numbers that get thrown around at the end of each day. Yesterday evening it was reported there were 1,600-something cases in hospital. This is technically true, but mainly because discharges mostly take place towards the end of the day. So if you were to compare yesterday evening to this morning (as RTE so frequently does), then you'd be led to believe there was a sudden increase in hospitalisations today. There wasn't.

Always compare like with like. End of day figures should be compared with end of day figures only. Morning figures should be compared with morning figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Here's what disinformation can do. Mixed in with some plausible theories like taking vit D.
    A terrible example. I feel sorry for everyone in this video.

https://twitter.com/DrDomPimenta/status/1354357473973579776?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why do they keep stating information about the UK variant being 60 to 70% more transmissive? Why is this stuff being stated as fact when it purely conjecture? It is baffling and so frustrating

I haven't been listening to Irish radio for some weeks now, for all the reasons that have been talked about here regularly (I listen to Times radio in the UK - a new station and so much more professional).

Anyway, I tuned into Newstalk 10 minutes ago and the first thing I heard was PK saying that he wanted to scare us. That we were becoming desensitized to COVID due to the numbers, and that if we were thinking of going out and breaking the restrictions then we should listen to the next piece, which was a mother and daughter making a recording at their kitchen table talking about their ICU experience. Like he literally said that his intention was to scare us this morning into staying in. The quality of Irish broadcasting is utterly terrible and getting worse - I'm gong back to British radio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Why do they keep stating information about the UK variant being 60 to 70% more transmissive? Why is this stuff being stated as fact when it purely conjecture? It is baffling and so frustrating

Isn't that the scientists who studied it best estimate at this point from data? So, that's the definition of conjecture. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

yermandan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a notification of being a close contact via the Covid app yesterday afternoon. It says I will hear from the HSE via a text but nothing yet. I'm aware that close contact testing is still off the table.

So for anyone who has received the notification, what did you do? I have to restrict movements for 14 days after the date on the notification that I was in close contact with this person but did anyone receive correspondence from the HSE after you got the notification?

Yes , I got the alert on the app .Then a text from the HSE to restrict my movement until a given date .,I got daily texts to remind me to restrict until that date .

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Here's what disinformation can do. Mixed in with some plausible theories like taking vit D.

How braindead can you be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Oh Jesus, that is mad and discouraging. Those stupid stupid stubborn people...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Isn't that the scientists who studied it best estimate at this point from data? So, that's the definition of conjecture. :confused:

No they did not show anything conclusive, they showed the variant becoming dominant over other variants they did not say it is more transmissive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jams100

I'm not saying this out of anger but we really have such ****e journalists.

Maybe there is just not enough money in journalism these days with social media and clickbate headlines rather than actual investigative journalism.

Has any journalist actually asked and then pursued how much this is costing us (in money)?
    It might not change the strategy but at least we would be having a more rounded discussion rather than just focusing purely on covid cases.

All of these interviews with claire, dobson etc. are the same questions re hashed over and over again.

At least Pat Kenny has tried to pursue the antigen tests issue probably one of the few who has tried to push people to some extent but still not far enough

Maybe a good journalist could do a bit of digging to see how many suicides there were in 2020, I imagine there is going to be an increase on 2019?

And finally George Lee can go kiss my a**e! The worst reporter I've seen on TV. At Least Fergal try's to report objectively without throwing his hands around and using words like "shocking" "distressing" etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

No they did not show anything conclusive, they should the variant becoming dominant over other variants they did not say it is more transmissive.

Conjecture doesn't mean conclusive.

Have you asked yourself why scientists are stating these figures - obviously there is data they have studied that led to this estimate. Studied any of the raw data yourself lately? Read and properly understood the outgoing published reports? How do you know what is or isn't bearing out in the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes , I got the alert on the app .Then a text from the HSE to restrict my movement until a given date .,I got daily texts to remind me to restrict until that date .

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I haven't been listening to Irish radio for some weeks now, for all the reasons that have been talked about here regularly (I listen to Times radio in the UK - a new station and so much more professional).

Anyway, I tuned into Newstalk 10 minutes ago and the first thing I heard was PK saying that he wanted to scare us. That we were becoming desensitized to COVID due to the numbers, and that if we were thinking of going out and breaking the restrictions then we should listen to the next piece, which was a mother and daughter making a recording at their kitchen table talking about their ICU experience. Like he literally said that his intention was to scare us this morning into staying in. The quality of Irish broadcasting is utterly terrible and getting worse - I'm gong back to British radio

I'm guessing it would be frosty if Ciara Kelly and Pat met in the corridor. PK has been consistently way out on the fringes with the 'Zero Covid' idiots and truly paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

claire: "are you the vaccine lead?"
    donnelly: " *laughs* I guess i am, yeah"

****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

But but their solictor said something in a letter!

froog wrote: »

****ing hell.

I know. Christ..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Conjecture doesn't mean conclusive.

Have you asked yourself why scientists are stating these figures - obviously there is data they have studied that led to this estimate. Studied any of the raw data yourself lately? Read and properly understood the outgoing published reports? How do you know what is or isn't bearing out in the data?
    The transmissibility rate, conjecture or not, can throw out modelling especially R0. While it's less likely to be such a big deal in locked down countries like ourselves, it is significant in places where there is a lot more activity. The real problem in this scenario, as always, is the cavalier media reporting on it, with conjecture as fact and the absolute worst case as the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

froog wrote: »

****ing hell.
    1098285240-Anchorman_The_Legend_of_Ron_Burgundy_im_kind_of_a_big_deal.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Later in the show they're talking to a professional answering questions from people who are experiencing mental health problems for the first times.

The normalisation of this hellscape is well and truly underway.

"No the problem isn't with the government's terrible policies keeping you locked up away from your friends and family except for work. It's with your head."

Listening to him coasting this easy interview makes me hate this stupid <snip> even more. She has proved time and time again that she couldn't be bothered shaking things up because she's got a nice comfy number.

Watch her leave this critical question go properly unanswered. Donnelly "last night I was thinking about much more important things than that."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement