Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

seamus wrote: »

Excellent thanks. Looks like a significant peak on 12th/13th. The 3rd week of complete data will tell a lot.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The CEO was really playing dirty tricks here bringing the UK into it and how they signed it 3 months previous.

The UK contract has nothing to do with the contract the EU signed with AZ , what is the relevance?

AZ agreed a set amount and have balked on it but can still deliver elsewhere, they need to redivert some of the product form other countries to even it out. Why are the EU being penalized for AZ production problems ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How and why specifically do you believe this to be so?

My life experience to date. No interest in discussing further, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The people whinging and cribbing about the news being bad is gas.

“We demand optimism” like that will change the situation! Seems to be a healthy crossover from those demanding optimism and the anti restrictions type.

Every second post on here these past few days is the same posters looking for OPTIMISM. People need to grow up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s a really nasty public row with AstraZeneca anyway. Unusual for EU commission to be so forthright.

I hope Johnson and Johnson have some good news for us soon.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    The public shouting match between EU and AstraZeneca is continuing.

Now EU asking for contract to be made public. Getting a bit messy!

https://twitter.com/adamparsons/status/1354391182210699266

https://www.thejournal.ie/astrazeneca-ceo-eu-commission-vaccine-5336595-Jan2021/

Listening to a talk show yesterday apparently MEP's were kept in the dark to the contracts being signed by the Comission. Any info shared with the parliament was heavily redacted, something we in this country have plenty experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fits wrote: »
    It’s a really nasty public row with AstraZeneca anyway. Unusual for EU commission to be so forthright.

That "good news" will be next week.

“We demand optimism” like that will change the situation! Seems to be a healthy crossover from those demanding optimism and the anti restrictions type.

Every second post on here these past few days is the same posters looking for OPTIMISM. People need to grow up a bit.

My read of people's comments here and mood offline is there has been a constant onslaught of negativity which in light of numbers in the community of the virus falling and vaccine on the horizon is unnecessary. Realism I doubt anyone has an issue with, but it's interesting to look at the communication by media and government in other countries versus our own. It's quite stark.

Of course, they could all grow up to be like you!

fits wrote: »

Watching wealthy nations squabble over vaccinations while other less wealthy nations have nothing is really very unseemly

• Advertisement

Watching wealthy nations squabble over vaccinations while other less wealthy nations have nothing is really very unseemly

We're all in this together? Some more so than others......

Well, most countries don't have much of anything. Having even less now is the reason for that squabble, as unseemly and unnecessary as it is. That will have a knock-on effect on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It isn't really. The object is to get the producers to ramp up production of vaccines, the rich countries are paying for this. When production is maximised there will be vaccines for everyone.

If Astrazeneca can't be arsed meeting their contract with the EU who gave them €338m to fund their production they are not going to be too worried about anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, most countries don't have much of anything. Having even less now is the reason for that squabble, as unseemly and unnecessary as it is. That will have a knock-on effect on everyone.

Indeed. It seems that the spirit of collectiveness is disappearing quickly both at national and International level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I agree but wonder would people be willing to wait months if not years more so healthcare workers and vulnerable populations were vaccinated in other parts of the world.

Indeed. It seems that the spirit of collectiveness is disappearing quickly both at national and International level.
    I think it's more about frustrations with national programmes and the pressures that is bringing to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's clear that the government isn't going to introduce quarantine for travellers.

The cases will drop and the appetite for a summer holiday will grow.

I agree but wonder would people be willing to wait months if not years more so healthcare workers and vulnerable populations were vaccinated in other parts of the world.

I agree. What is playing out is an inevitability. But doesn't mean it sits well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was thinking the same myself - a doctor on a documentary I was watching last night, said that a pandemic will happen again and the only hope of dealing with it better is that governments cooperate for the common good. Some hope of that, particularly if this is our current example.

It's the same with the environment, we will be fighting over imaginary border lines on a map while natural global threats, and pandemics don't know anything about borders.

Despite all our achievements, we are still shown to be a pathetic and selfish species when put under pressure.

Karl Sagan was right ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

https://fb.watch/3h41dbiiH0/

"Almost 10 months ago New Zealand’s Prime Minister said this about Ireland. Unreal how accurate she was... she was talking about July 2020"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Is there no better way to deal with a production capacity issue, than to leave it to market forces? We are relying on commerical companies competing against each other for greater market share, to provide and manufacture a vaccine that the whole world needs urgently.

When the motivation is profit based,there is advantage to be gained from scarce supply. AstraZeneca may already have fallen at the first commercial temptation hurdle - there is a story to emerge there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Oops. Bit of an admission here from Martin.
    Lobbying clearly played a role in December's fiasco.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1354400633902796802?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

i'm sure this was said before but there was more action taken when there was a foot and mouth crisis in the past!

We now know cattle are more important than humans in Ireland!

You can tell by yesterdays lame response by government nothing will change.

Especially as hardly any vaccines heading this way either.

Widescreen wrote: »
    i'm sure this was said before but there was more action taken when there was a foot and mouth crisis in the past!

We now know cattle are more important than humans in Ireland!

You can tell by yesterdays lame response by government nothing will change.

Especially as hardly any vaccines heading this way either.

Actually during foot and mouth we culled animals that had the disease, are you suggesting the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ha good luck to him if he thinks that's not going to happen

His own backbenchers don't like him as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Good luck with that. We all know it'll happen. That's the whole point of groups representing sectors & politicians representing constituents.

Actually during foot and mouth we culled animals that had the disease, are you suggesting the same?

There is a lot of dishonesty at the moment on the ZC stuff. No problem having a proper discussion about it but those proposing it should be clearly indicating what it means in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

We are being culled indirectly it could be said I guess.

If conditions are created that encourages the virus to keep doing what it's doing as has been done for the past 10 months deaths will keep happening because of that.

i.e. if they don't do enough to stop the variants getting in as per yesterdays token effort its inevitable what will happen.

Good luck with that. We all know it'll happen. That's the whole point of groups representing sectors.

Indeed. If one was funding a representative organisation and they were not lobbying in respect to your interests, one may well decide to stop funding this organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Don't be so facetious. A lot of people have died.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement