Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see there are only 89,000 users of the App today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I really hope that you are right! These things don't just get flung up on a whim though and with all the new variants springing up - and then those new variants themselves ultimately creating new variants again... we get further away from the original strain and... suddenly we're all living in constant fear of this one or that one from such and such a place.

Of course the new strains may well get weaker as time goes by - that would be great - but currently they are not any weaker than the original...

I don't know... I'm not any kind of expert so..!

The reason I am so confident is either the vaccines work or they don't but sooner or later the economic realities everywhere including here will take centre stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

is_that_so wrote: »
    I see there are only 89,000 users of the App today.

I thought it had 1.5 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Varadkar ruling out going from level 5 to level 3 in March

Pushing very painfully slow reopening like last year

Deja vu

Keeping economy shut and storing demand for any reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

89000 with nothing better to do than check in and tell them how they are feeling, if you are a user you will get a notification if you are a close contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,378 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think once over 65's are vaccinated people will be shouting for stuff to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

What happens when the British begin to open up for themselves after they're all vaccinated by April or May and all start coming over here for nice, long weekend breaks?

There are no significant restrictions of movement on, or between, these islands and if the vaccine still allows you to carry/transmit the virus... is that not going to be a problem?

Would they not go somewhere with hotels, pubs, restaurants open. Why would they spend the weekend here??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really hope that you are right! These things don't just get flung up on a whim though and with all the new variants springing up - and then those new variants themselves ultimately creating new variants again... we get further away from the original strain and... suddenly we're all living in constant fear of this one or that one from such and such a place.

Of course the new strains may well get weaker as time goes by - that would be great - but currently they are not any weaker than the original...

I don't know... I'm not any kind of expert so..!

I can understand the fear of that scenario. I'm no expert in this field.

But I think most things that are very new and uncertain unfold in a way that is far from the most pessimistic or optimistic first projections, and most always with unexpected and surprising hiccups along the way.

Which makes it interesting. But it is nearly always the case that the worst fears of a new experience never come to pass.

Aside from the obvious concern I have for my parents and people close to me, I find this whole pandemic very interesting, and maybe a little bit grateful, if that's the word, that I am watching a historical event play out in real time.

(I can be very detached that way!)

2m downloads I think but only 89K checked in today. Mind you, we're all at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Deja vu

Except what he said was its possible personal services and retail could reopen.

So kinda as expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    2m downloads I think but only 89K checked in today. Mind you, we're all at home!

Checking in doesn't make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

So kinda as expected

:pac::pac:

It's always entertaining seeing how different people process the same statements

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think once over 65's are vaccinated people will be shouting for stuff to open.

Let them shout all they want. Certain sectors did that before Christmas, the Government gave way and we have seen the results. They will not make that mistake again if they have any sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Based on trends over recent weeks we should be expecting around 1400-1500 +ve swabs today.

Before the “new surge” merchants appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Deja vu

People need to just take one day at a time for their mental health. Government messaging the last few days has been making alot of people feel overwhelmed with everything Id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

So kinda as expected

I don't think they'll be any reopening before Easter

Then a drop drab every 3 weeks again conveniently timed until after Bank holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

marno21 wrote: »
    Based on trends over recent weeks we should be expecting around 1400-1500 +ve swabs today.

Before the “new surge” merchants appear.

I would hope it would be lower as the GP referrals were down yesterday for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Let them shout all they want. Certain sectors did that before Christmas, the Government gave way and we have seen the results. They will not make that mistake again if they have any sense.

It will be driven by numbers simple as. When the numbers comedown we will open up all be it gradually. It would be political suicide to have say 200 cases and low deaths if any and the whole country shut down. Do people really think that If and when cases get to 500 or under and the deaths drop to a minimum that the country will still stay locked down and business / people will except it no chance.

People will only support them if they can see the problem that’s what happened at Xmas. In a strange way it took the increase in cases and deaths to make people get behind the lockdown. They already said a lockdown was coming in November long before they allowed shops to open at Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nphet said we should relax restrictions, should we not listen to them anymore either.

wadacrack wrote: »
    People need to just take one day at a time for their mental health. Government messaging the last few days has been making alot of people feel overwhelmed with everything Id imagine.
    I'd agree. Yesterday was a surfeit of information. I don't think it was necessary to deliver it all in one fell swoop. Very few of us have the ability to adequately process that amount of information and nothing really would have been lost by having ministers feed it to the media over the rest of the week. That format also leaves them on the spot for every doom-laden question the fifth estate can dredge up.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nphet said we should relax restrictions, should we not listen to them anymore either.
    TBF they said do only X, not X, Y and Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

The reason I am so confident is either the vaccines work or they don't but sooner or later the economic realities everywhere including here will take centre stage.

So ultimately, you believe, if needs be they'll choose the economy over lives?! I'd hate to be the politician that makes that call!

mohawk wrote: »
    Would they not go somewhere with hotels, pubs, restaurants open. Why would they spend the weekend here??

Because many of them have friends and family that they want to see. And AirBnB is a thing too. You can still rent a car, go to an off licence and drive (before drinking) around the Wild Atlantic Way.

Many reasons to be honest.

So ultimately, you believe, if needs be they'll choose the economy over lives?! I'd hate to be the politician that makes that call!

But that’s what is happening at the moment with the airports and travelling. The government have the power to close the boarders and we all know that would have a huge impact but they won’t why? Because it will have other impacts and they have weighed the gain vs the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yeah because without a functioning economy you will loose alot more lives than Covid will cause. It costs money to run a country, only so much you can borrow before the credit line is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

It will be driven by numbers simple as. When the numbers comedown we will open up all be it gradually. It would be political suicide to have say 200 cases and low deaths if any and the whole country shut down. Do people really think that If and when cases get to 500 or under and the deaths drop to a minimum that the country will still stay locked down and business / people will except it no chance.

People will only support them if they can see the problem that’s what happened at Xmas. In a strange way it took the increase in cases and deaths to make people get behind the lockdown. They already said a lockdown was coming in November long before they allowed shops to open at Xmas.

What would be political suicide, is if they once again, open up too early resulting in us having to increase restrictions. The sensible approach is to get the community spread low (within contact tracing capacity) and then gradually ease restrictions over the summer as more people are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Its not an either or, the economy is needed to pay for the HSE to save lives and to pay for people who can't work as businesses are closed.

Also long term a poor economy has an extremely negative effect on life expectancy and quality of life.

Having the economy closed is costing lives too.

There comes a time when quality of life matters - would you want to spend the rest of your life in lockdown or prefer to take a risk and go out and actually live?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I can understand the fear of that scenario. I'm no expert in this field.

But I think most things that are very new and uncertain unfold in a way that is far from the most pessimistic or optimistic first projections, and most always with unexpected and surprising hiccups along the way.

Which makes it interesting. But it is nearly always the case that the worst fears of a new experience never come to pass.

Aside from the obvious concern I have for my parents and people close to me, I find this whole pandemic very interesting, and maybe a little bit grateful, if that's the word, that I am watching a historical event play out in real time.

(I can be very detached that way!)

I remember in late March or early April there were 11 stories (I counted) above the fold on an international news website that, each on their own, would have been a global story for weeks - but as it was, barely got coverage for the day - and even then not on all news providers. It has been the most extraordinary 12 months (and counting, unfortunately).

I can detach similarly for the most part but every once in a while I get drawn back in with a clatter and a thud. And these last couple of days has been pretty grim. Probably my personal low point. So if United lose tonight I may be driven back to the dhrink!

What would be political suicide, is if they once again, open up too early resulting in us having to increase restrictions. The sensible approach is to get the community spread low (within contact tracing capacity) and then gradually ease restrictions over the summer as more people are vaccinated.

That’s what I said they will do open gradually. But it will be driven by the numbers. Now to me 200 cases and the whole economy shut would be madness but to someone else 200 is to much that’s were the government have to find their own number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Vicxas wrote: »

Vaccinating over 65s is not the panacea you seem to imagine it to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement