Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That’s what I said they will do open gradually. But it will be driven by the numbers. Now to me 200 cases and the whole economy shut would be madness but to someone else 200 is to much that’s were the government have to find their own number.

That gradual approach will cost billions again by keeping the economy shut

They will do it that way though

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

But that’s what is happening at the moment with the airports and travelling. The government have the power to close the boarders and we all know that would have a huge impact but they won’t why? Because it will have other impacts and they have weighed the gain vs the loss.

Believe it or not we are still moving into this crisis - not out of it. We're still closing down as a general direction. What the government is doing is slowly moving from the Living With Covid line and towards Zero Covid (though we will never go all the way down that road). So we are not yet opening up, despite the virus, to save the economy. Quite the opposite I believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Vaccinating over 65s is not the panacea you seem to imagine it to be.

Completely. Large portion of our Covid ICUs are under 65s.

A lot of the older and more vulnerable cohort don't get to ICU.

Yeah because without a functioning economy you will loose alot more lives than Covid will cause. It costs money to run a country, only so much you can borrow before the credit line is cancelled.

"The sound of the printer goes Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" as the kids on Reddit are taken to saying.

(Not saying that would be my strategy, btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That gradual approach will cost billions again by keeping the economy shut

They will do it that way though

I guess the other argument that rushing to ease restrictions at once could just mean going back to restrictions sooner.

I think this time it will definitely be ease one thing, give it 3 weeks to see impact then another.

Varadkar said as much earlier:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0127/1192280-coronavirus-politics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I've been of the view if we don't get over a certain threshold with vaccinations this year then we've kind of failed. Difficult to see a way out of this otherwise. Kind of feels we've been thrown back into the same holding pattern as last year.

I'm a somewhat anxious/depressive sort but for whatever reason I too get that clinical 'detachment' from the big scary virus. Maybe because even if things were going well my state of mind wouldn't change much lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Believe it or not we are still moving into this crisis - not out of it. We're still closing down as a general direction. What the government is doing is slowly moving from the Living With Covid line and towards Zero Covid (though we will never go all the way down that road). So we are not yet opening up, despite the virus, to save the economy. Quite the opposite I believe.

Wait until you see the summer places will be open and people will be moving around just like last summer with restrictions obviously. It is to late for zero Covid that should of been done in the beginning if it was going to be tried. People will be fed up with lockdowns etc and will have no appetite for it we have done a year now people are tired. The bright evenings and summer weather will change the attitudes of a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Vaccinating over 65s is not the panacea you seem to imagine it to be.
    92% of deaths are over 65 and at least half of ICU and hospitalisations. So it'll certainly be a huge boost in that regard.

Vaccination of HCW should also result in considerably fewer hospital acquired cases.

But you're right that vaccinating the over-65s won't be the sudden clarion call to lift all restrictions.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think once over 65's are vaccinated people will be shouting for stuff to open.

Yes, which is what should happen.

92% of deaths occur in the over-65 age bracket.

The next phase is to vaccinate those under 65 / with underlying issues etc., but that can be done in tandem with some form of restriction easement. I'm not suggesting a free for all, but some form of gradual return to normality.

We live with deadly viruses in circulation all the time. This is the price that society is willing to pay in order to conduct society. Yes, post-March, there will be unfortunates in the ICU and so on, but that's the price society is willing to pay to allow some form of restriction easement.

It makes zero sense at all to protect against 92% of deaths, and to keep or maintain the current level of extreme restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Eod100 wrote: »
    I guess the other argument that rushing to ease restrictions at once could just mean going back to restrictions sooner.

I think this time it will definitely be ease one thing, give it 3 weeks to see impact then another.

Varadkar said as much earlier:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0127/1192280-coronavirus-politics/

Yup but the longer they take to ease restrictions the more it costs

It was estimated the 6 weeks before December was €1.5billion

This lockdown will be more expensive as there's more people out of work with no construction, no click and collect etc

I fully expect us to be amongst the slowest to open in Europe yet again but that slowness costs money that will need to be paid back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

"The sound of the printer goes Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" as the kids on Reddit are taken to saying.

(Not saying that would be my strategy, btw!)

You shouldn't be looking to kids on Reddit for sound economic policies tbh. As I said the credit line isn't infinite.
    Also politicians and the HSE make decisions every year that cost the lives of many of citizens. For example limiting certain drugs that are known to be beneficial but very expensive to provide.
    You are right though I wouldn't like to be the politician after this is over approving cuts to services to pay for the present spending. I remember the sections of society that lost most in the last period of austerity we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yup but the longer they take to ease restrictions the more it costs

It was estimated the 6 weeks before December was €1.5billion

This lockdown will be more expensive as there's more people out of work with no construction, no click and collect etc

I fully expect us to be amongst the slowest to open in Europe yet again but that slowness costs money that will need to be paid back

Sure but best thing for economy is a sustainable opening when we do. Nobody likes restrictions but if we can get it right this time hopefully means we can delay more restrictions as much as possible after reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Just a thought as I sit here with three small children wondering what to do with them for the next 5 weeks.
    Isn't it very easy for governments and scientist's and nphet to tell everyone to "hold firm" at the moment.
    They are busy meeting people, taking questions, coming up with (nonsense) strategies, and generally working away. At a very basic level, the day passes by quick for them.
    While most of us plebs sit here looking at the clock, no outlet, no meeting different people, trying to entertain small children, playing the same games, watching the same kids tv programmes and reassure them we will see granny and grandad again, wondering could we walk around the same block without our heads melting from boredom etc.
    I feel that they are so out of touch with the reality of daily life for so many in lockdown.
    And instead of giving hope they keep knocking back any optimism that keeps the normal joe soap going.

Just a thought as I sit here with three small children wondering what to do with them for the next 5 weeks.
    Isn't it very easy for governments and scientist's and nphet to tell everyone to "hold firm" at the moment.
    They are busy meeting people, taking questions, coming up with (nonsense) strategies, and generally working away. At a very basic level, the day passes by quick for them.
    While most of us plebs sit here looking at the clock, no outlet, no meeting different people, trying to entertain small children, playing the same games, watching the same kids tv programmes and reassure them we will see granny and grandad again, wondering could we walk around the same block without our heads melting from boredom etc.
    I feel that they are so out of touch with the reality of daily life for so many in lockdown.
    And instead of giving hope they keep knocking back any optimism that keeps the normal joe soap going.

I agree with this about the politicians because they're not meeting many people out and about, at various events, regular clinics etc.

They still have their routine so work life probably not very different apart from higher workload more challenges. Still going into tv and radio stations, doing pressers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    I agree with this about the politicians because they're not meeting many people out and about, at various events, regular clinics etc.

They still have their routine so work life probably not very different apart from higher workload more challenges. Still going into tv and radio stations, doing pressers etc.

Let's not forget that many politicians salivate at the prospect of exerting power.

Varadkar and Martin both enjoyed every last second of their speeches to the nation. They love the political spotlight, the ability to make decisions that impact millions of people - and the general doom of it all. Martin himself has a constant smirk on his face during the COVID-19 problem. He positively enjoys using the word "restrictions".

They see themselves as our masters and they know what's best for us all.

And it doesn't impact them financially, either - a double win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Another fall in GP referral data today. Referral rates are running at 35% to 50% lower than the same day last week, depending on how you look at the data

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-27_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Gruffalux wrote: »

Not sure which is worse tbh. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gruffalux wrote: »

Yeah they could use the same swab to check your nasal cavity afterwards.

• Advertisement

Another fall in GP referral data today. Referral rates are running at 35% to 50% lower than the same day last week, depending on how you look at the data

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-27_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

This week seems to have also departed from the trend of seeing a Monday bump. Will hopefully be reflected in case numbers today

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

To be honest one of my biggest worry’s is what will we be like when this is over. I can imagine some sort of traffic light system like we have with the weather warnings red, yellow, orange based on the type of virus that’s going around each winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

10% of peak.

Hotel quarantine for travellers from high risk countries. Presume they're saying British cause visas suspended for anyone who's not British? Given it's Patel she might want to keep this permanently..

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1354442141615992834

You shouldn't be looking to kids on Reddit for sound economic policies tbh. As I said the credit line isn't infinite.
    Also politicians and the HSE make decisions every year that cost the lives of many of citizens. For example limiting certain drugs that are known to be beneficial but very expensive to provide.
    You are right though I wouldn't like to be the politician after this is over approving cuts to services to pay for the present spending. I remember the sections of society that lost most in the last period of austerity we had.

Why not? Their financial advice turned my house deposit into more than the price of a house inside November.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

seamus wrote: »
    92% of deaths are over 65 and at least half of ICU and hospitalisations. So it'll certainly be a huge boost in that regard.

How much time do you think it actually buys you though and for how much of an increase in R?

There's still a significant cohort of people that can clogg the health system. The question is what sort of growth pattern this would take.

Be interested to know your interpretation on this.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

Decided I’d enrol in a year long masters and just write this year off completely. I’ll never have more free time than I do now, may as well work full time and study part time. Nothing else to do.

eigrod wrote: »
    905 positive swabs. 6.17% positivity rate. Very good for a Wednesday. 14,676 tests.

Not at that level today.

At 1668 from 22,387 tests. 7.45%

Little surprising given the GP data.

7 day % at 8.1 down from 8.8 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

905 positive swabs. 6.17% positivity rate. Very good for a Wednesday. 14,676 tests.

1,668 swabs, 7.45% positivity and 22,387 tests from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭xabi

The tweet I got says 1668 swabs, 7.45% on 22,387 test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement