Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Amirani wrote: »
    Completely. Large portion of our Covid ICUs are under 65s.

A lot of the older and more vulnerable cohort don't get to ICU.

But they will get vaccinated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

I've done 27 straight days, since New Years's Day, with 2-3 hours core/strength and aerobic work each day.

I feel my my fitness is improving in the same proportion as the daily cases:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why not? Their financial advice turned my house deposit into more than the price of a house inside November.

Who are these kids you speak of. I've gotten burned by multi level marketing before :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not at that level today.

At 1668 from 22,387 tests. 7.45%

Little surprising given the GP data.

7 day % at 8.1 down from 8.8 yesterday

Apologies, I caught it while it was updating

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems like a lot, but it's actually bang on expectations. It's all about the trend and today's figures are perfectly on trend.

Last Wednesday was 2,786 swabs.

Everything is still rosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Not at that level today.

At 1668 from 22,387 tests. 7.45%

Little surprising given the GP data.

7 day % at 8.1 down from 8.8 yesterday

One theory is that test referrals on Monday are significantly more likely to test positive - e.g. wasn't feeling great over the weekend, didn't think much of it, by Monday I felt awful and went for a test (more likely to be positive, sick for 3 days and getting worse so it's not just a cold).

But, look, the Wednesday bump up is about what we get every week, I wouldn't be concerned at all. We'll see better numbers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

xabi wrote: »
    The tweet I got says 1668 swabs, 7.45% on 22,387 test

Crap

Wednesday bump but hopefully the rest of the week will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

One theory is that test referrals on Monday are significantly more likely to test positive - e.g. wasn't feeling great over the weekend, didn't think much of it, by Monday I felt awful and went for a test (more likely to be positive, sick for 3 days and getting worse so it's not just a cold).

But, look, the Wednesday bump up is about what we get every week, I wouldn't be concerned at all. We'll see better numbers tomorrow.

Yup based on GP referrals anyway community numbers should be / are coming down nicely, I dont doubt tomorrow will see a nice fall in swabs and the downward trend continues.

To be honest I'm surprised they've dropped so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

seamus wrote: »
    Seems like a lot, but it's actually bang on expectations. It's all about the trend and today's figures are perfectly on trend.

Last Wednesday was 2,786 swabs.

Everything is still rosy.

I had 1700 in my Excel sheet as a placeholder :cool:

Decay following a nice exponential that would have the 7-day average on 22nd of Feb at about 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It won't stop the doom merchants!
    Wed Jan 13th: 3232 Swabs - Tue Jan 19th: 1784 (Drop of 55%)
    Wed Jan 20th: 2786 Swabs - Tue Jan 26th: 928 (Drop of 67%)
    Wed Jan 27th: 1668 Swabs - Tue Feb 2th: ?
    Even a 40% drop would put the highest day of the week at under 1K next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,891 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1668 positive swabs, 7.45% positivity on 22,387 tests - today that's down?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

zuutroy wrote: »
    I had 1700 in my Excel sheet as a placeholder :cool:

Decay following a nice exponential that would have the 7-day average on 22nd of Feb at about 250.
    I was even going to post I was expecting 7-8% on 20,000 swabs. Can't claim it now though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Who are these kids you speak of. I've gotten burned by multi level marketing before :pac:

giphy.gif

They'll make you laugh and they'll make you rich...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do the samples that get sent to Germany get added to swabs or do they just go straight to case numbers?

Reason I ask, the aer corp tweeted photos of the casa going to Germany on Sunday. Maybe thats where the extra numbers have come from in today's swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

They'll make you laugh and they'll make you rich...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/

GME to the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Compared to yesterday 711 more positive swabs from 5722 extra tests. 8.1% is the lowest 7 day positivity rate for a month.

Positive swabs last 3 Wednesdays

20/1 - 2786
    13/1 - 3932
    6/1 - 6858

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

HSE looking at 1,500 cases and below for a return to full contact tracing service and close contact testing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0127/1192266-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pauldry

What country in the world is seeing the biggest surge in cases now. Usually when I look I see one and go God its crazy there. But now as far as I can make out theres stabilized numbers. Is this as a result of vaccines and restrictions or just pure fluke? (I know theres still HUGE numbers everywhere but not a surge in numbers)

Im sure there will be a few more surges but Im looking for hope because our Government just say "ah well, keep everything closed, stay at home, rolling lockdowns" they are like a broken clock.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pauldry wrote: »
    What country in the world is seeing the biggest surge in cases now. Usually when I look I see one and go God its crazy there.

Spain and Portugal have been doing pretty poorly in recent days. High numbers.

• Advertisement

What country in the world is seeing the biggest surge in cases now. Usually when I look I see one and go God its crazy there. But now as far as I can make out theres stabilized numbers. Is this as a result of vaccines and restrictions or just pure fluke? (I know theres still HUGE numbers everywhere but not a surge in numbers)

Im sure there will be a few more surges but Im looking for hope because our Government just say "ah well, keep everything closed, stay at home, rolling lockdowns" they are like a broken clock.

Portugal is pretty bad. 11000 cases and still a steeply rising curve

• Registered Users Posts: 14,552 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Things are bad enough in Portugal at the moment I believe. Record cases and deaths.

Edit: Beaten to it.

What country in the world is seeing the biggest surge in cases now. Usually when I look I see one and go God its crazy there.

It's worth putting numbers in context though.

If you are a small country with 30 deaths in one day, say with a population of 5 million people - then extrapolated out, that's the equivalent of having almost 400 deaths in a country the size of the UK.

And 30 deaths a day here is like having 2,000 deaths a day in the US.

And when we think about it, 30 people a day isn't really that many, so we shouldn't be shocked or surprised when we hear 'large' numbers like 400 or 2,000 a day elsewhere.

And 30 deaths in Ireland is a loss of 0.0006% of the population.

So whilst all 30 deaths are sad in their own right, I think many people lose a sense of perspective with these kinds of figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭josip

is_that_so wrote: »
    HSE looking at 1,500 cases and below for a return to full contact tracing service and close contact testing.

Goalposts being moved again, but they own the ball and pay the ref.

After 12 months, they still don't have a contact tracing system capable of handling more than 1,500 cases per week.

But instead of saying "we should be doing better at that by now", we get

"It's all your fault for going mad over Christmas" and
    "We're banning travel, because that's what's causing the problem"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So who's up for an anal swab?!
    China has begun using anal swabs to test those it considers to be at high risk of contracting Covid-19
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/27/china-starts-using-anal-swabs-test-covid-high-infection-areas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You'd imagine that will be next week then at the current decrease rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

It's worth putting numbers in context though.

If you are a small country with 30 deaths in one day, say with a population of 5 million people - then extrapolated out, that's the equivalent of having almost 400 deaths in a country the size of the UK.

And 30 deaths a day here is like having 2,000 deaths a day in the US.

And when we think about it, 30 people a day isn't really that many, so we shouldn't be shocked or surprised when we hear 'large' numbers like 400 or 2,000 a day elsewhere.

And 30 deaths in Ireland is a loss of 0.0006% of the population.

So whilst all 30 deaths are sad in their own right, I think many people lose a sense of perspective with these kinds of figures.

Yes, but 30 deaths in a day might not be much, but it is over 700 this month.

That sounds like a lot to me. We can all play around with figures.

I don't think you have to be too negative to think that over 100k deaths in the UK is shocking. That would be equivalent to us reporting around 7k deaths from the pandemic. Thankfully, we have fewer than 50% of their deaths per capita.

The numbers of death in Europe this winter are terrible, I don't see why people keep on trying to minimise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

on the global front we are seeing the first actual drop in daily cases since the very start of the pandemic. (leaving aside the short christmas dip where less testing overall would have been going on).

541122.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I'll take my chances with Covid, thanks all the same China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

froog wrote: »
    on the global front we are seeing the first actual drop in daily cases since the very start of the pandemic. (leaving aside the short christmas dip where less testing overall would have been going on).

That's excellent news. Hopefully the trend continues and we're finally on the way out of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement