Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

Drumpot wrote: »
    I didn’t watch or see that, not much has changed for me over the last few months. People need to stop expecting the authorities and government to make them feel better, that’s not their job. I’d say pandering to the public to offer optimism is not what we need. They pandered to the public desires in December and this is where we ended up.

There is hope, you don’t need the government to tell you that. How you feel about the news is not necessarily a reflection of how things actually are. There are vaccines that will be rolled out over the year. We didn’t have that 6 months ago when our numbers were low in august and everything seemed to be on the up. March 5th is the minimum lockdown period, people need to stop seeing these dates as targets for reduction in restrictions as they are setting themselves up for a fall. It’s unrealistic and unreasonable to expect any government to have definite answers to elements of this crisis. This isn’t to say mistakes haven’t and are not being made, moreso that in general I don’t think perfection should be expected.

Right now everybody needs to stay alert. That is the priority. Every person has to take responsibility for how they are handling this and not blame others for how they feel. Work on your mental health. Get support, reach out to others, share how you feel with friends. I don’t say this without empathy, I suffer savage mental health issues But I’ve learned that I can’t rely on others to make me feel better. Expecting the government to offer optimism is leaving you at their mercy, own that and don’t expect them to make you feel better. Their job is to manage the crisis. People need to start being self reliant and filtering out the noise that upsets them.

I agree with most of your post. We are responsible for how we feel and for choosing where we get our news from. Arghus made some interesting points last night about expectation and I think he was hitting on something. Many of us had expectations that a big positive shift would occur around spring time and certainly towards the end of the summer. Now talk from the Government is putting a bit of a dampener on those expectations.

The thing is though Drumpot, our Government leads us. What they say is more than just "noise". We look to them for signals and give weight to what they say. That's because they call the shots. It's frightening to hear Leo comment that there may not be hers immunity because he is part of the cogs of power. They could decide to continue with the rule of 2 m distance for the next 3 years if they so wish.

We can read the science behind the vaccines and that they are effective against the new variants. We can see that there may be alternative strategies to the Government's one. It doesn't matter though because it is them who will ultimately decide.

Their power comes with a duty of care. As leaders they must do more than manage the practical implications of the pandemic. They must hit the right tone in their narrative. It's vital they impart the facts but they should refrain from guessing games and assumptions. We simply do not need to know every thought Leo has about Covid.

Tell us where we are and what they hope for. Wait until something goes wrong before telling us it might. Give us something to hold on to, just a small thing. For example making yesterday's case figures in to a positive focus. They don't need to give us an end date because that's back to guessing territory. A bit of balance now will go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

The UK could have the entire population given the first does by the middle of April!

They are going to have a booming summer

Might book a flight so. What part of England is best to go to for two weeks?

Maybe Brighton?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The UK could have the entire population given the first does by the middle of April!

Good.. might stop them constantly ****ing up our efforts.

The surge here was driven by two things... the north and people returning from England for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

mloc123 wrote: »

The surge here was driven by two things... the north and people returning from England for xmas.

The surge here was caused by 3 weeks of open hospitality followed by mass congregations over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭Allinall

De tuk our vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,191 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

One thing we learned from this pandemic is when the chips are down it's every country for itself. Boris smirking as he confirms ''' our vaccines won't be effected by astrazeneca row with EU''

Makes no sense for UK to have endless supply of vaccines, while EU had very little. Shirley UK should be helping us and rest of EU to vaccinate the most at risk, over the UK vaccinating kids and those in their 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

That's bull. The surge here was driven by people mixing a lot in the run up to and over Christmas. Can't blame the brits for everything as much as I'd like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,891 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow 1725 deaths in the UK alone today. Absolutely relentless this thing.

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    That's bull. The surge here was driven by people mixing a lot in the run up to and over Christmas. Can't blame the brits for everything as much as I'd like to.

Why were Louth, Donegal, Monaghan cases per 100k multiple times that of other counties?

Edit: and why are 60% of all our cases now the Kent strain?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Haven’t heard much about meat factories lately. Have cases reduced or have they stopped reporting on them? Maybe I’ve missed reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,415 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

High quality instant testing would be such a game changer!

If every school kid does an antigen test every week etc.

It would seriously reduce the risk

Every school kid?

What a waste of resources that would be

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I don't think that's informed perspective at all. 30 deaths daily in excess in Ireland is a pronounced increase upon normal mortality rates considering about 85 people die daily here under normal circumstances.

As for the percentage at the end well it's daily so doesn't tell you anything really. What's the percent if that death rate maintains for months.

Yes, but what determines the overall severity of COVID is not deaths, but those excess deaths that wouldn't ordinarily be seen.

How many of those 85 a day, for example, now include COVID?

A few posters mentioned the 1,700 deaths in the UK, but proportionally, that is the equivalent of 130 deaths here. How many of those are excess, above and beyond is expected at this time of year.

So yes, I think my perspective does hold some gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

One thing we learned from this pandemic is when the chips are down it's every country for itself. Boris smirking as he confirms ''' our vaccines won't be effected by astrazeneca row with EU''

Makes no sense for UK to have endless supply of vaccines, while EU had very little. Shirley UK should be helping us and rest of EU to vaccinate the most at risk, over the UK vaccinating kids and those in their 20's

224ad2a02d182e8b5abb02610ba4fea6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

If it's a requirement to enter France then it has some sort of worth whatever we think. If only by the virtue that you can access French markets for export, which we do.
    Ireland haven't.

Rocdoc is a private company. They're selling them to lorry drivers because France require them.

It doesn't make them any more accurate.

I completely misread that, I assumed it was for driver coming into ireland, not leaving. Thanks!

So the government will "encourage" people returning to Ireland from overseas to quarantine at home for 14 days. How will this be implemented, "arra we'll get their telephone number and ring them up every so often. And they have to promise us they'll stay home". What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What fools are talking about Zero Covid?
    The mind really boggles - the time for a Zero Covid strategy was back last February March when:
    1. Very little was known about the disease.
    2. There was literally no sign of a vacine being developed, yet alone tested/approved.

Zero covid is a pointless strategy with so many door open and so much of the disease globally, particularily with the issues with Northern Ireland.
    The talk of this should stop and focus on getting the vaccine(s) out there as efficiently as possibly while unwinding resrictions once hospitals clear some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Why were Louth, Donegal, Monaghan cases per 100k multiple times that of other counties?

Edit: and why are 60% of all our cases now the Kent strain?

None of that would be an issue if there wasn't a free for all over Xmas. Granted the strain did come from the UK but it was because people were mixing so heavily over Xmas that it spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nothing to do with the fact loads of people went socializing in indoor settings for the month of December acting like it was a normal year!?:pac::D:confused:

The variant is a complete distraction, it is a dominant strain that will take over, it isn't more transmissive, just more dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jimi H wrote: »
    Haven’t heard much about meat factories lately. Have cases reduced or have they stopped reporting on them? Maybe I’ve missed reports.

Just a few days ago reported outbreak in Slaley meats in Wexford. 42 tests positive. Thats huge amount imagine the size of close contact list.

kippy wrote: »
    The mind really boggles - the time for a Zero Covid strategy was back last February March when:
    2. There was literally no sign of a vacine being developed, yet alone tested/approved.

Hate the phrase, "the disease".

That Professor Nolan chap, one of the most boring speakers in human history, repeats this phrase ad nauseum.

It's not suppressing a disease; it's suppressing transmission of a virus.

A quarter of people who get the virus are asymptomatic. They cannot be said to have a disease.

It's irritating use of language and it's caught on like some creepy fashion statement.

Holohan loves using it, too.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Just a few days ago reported outbreak in Slaley meats in Wexford. 42 tests positive. Thats huge amount imagine the size of close contact list.

It's hard to know how big the close contacts list would be.
    For one they are only going back 2 days from the onset of symptoms/taking the test to capture close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Zero covid is a pointless strategy with so many door open and so much of the disease globally, particularily with the issues with Northern Ireland.
    The talk of this should stop and focus on getting the vaccine(s) out there as efficiently as possibly while unwinding resrictions once hospitals clear some more.

People talking about it are far more qualified than anyone on this forum. I do thing the term Zero Covid works against them. Should be renamed maximum suppressions strategy or something like that. Insanity is trying the same thing again and again.With a vaccine suppression the virus to where if no longer effects so much of life is hopefully possible this year.

Hate the phrase, "the disease".

That Professor Nolan chap, one of the most boring speakers in human history, repeats this phrase ad nauseum.

It's not suppressing a disease; it's suppressing transmission of a virus.

A quarter of people who get the virus are asymptomatic. They cannot be said to have a disease.

It's irritating use of language and it's caught on like some creepy fashion statement.

Holohan loves using it, too.
    Do you work in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

appledrop wrote: »

Seems they are pretty good at regular tests so hopefully will be under control soon

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Where me god damn numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What would a farmer know about it?

wadacrack wrote: »
    People talking about it are far more qualified than anyone on this forum. I do thing the term Zero Covid works against them. Should be renamed maximum suppressions strategy or something like that. Insanity is trying the same thing again and again.With a vaccine suppression the virus to where if no longer effects so much of life is hopefully possible this year.

It's mostly politicicians and randomers on the internet I've seen talk about it to be honest.
    It's literally TOO LATE in the day to talk about a "maximimum supression strategy" or whatever BS you want to call it.
    It wouldn't be too late if there weren't a vaccine or a number of them....but there is and that is the reality.

These rolling restriction levels work to reduce the impact of the disease on hospitals.

Are you seriously advocating saying to an asymptomatic person, that they have an active disease?

They absolutely do not.

It's scientifically and logically inaccurate use of language - on every possible level.

As I said, it's a fashionable way to phrase it. That's all.

90% of people have a form of herpes virus latent in their body, which causes no symptoms. We do not walk around saying to each other, "I have a disease right now".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭appledrop

spookwoman wrote: »
    Seems they are pretty good at regular tests so hopefully will be under control soon

Yea its in cases like that you realise how important it is that people are not mixing outside households + schools are closed.

If everyone of those 42 people had just 2 close contacts thats over 150 people. If some of those had of been children in school you can see how numbers can quickly skyrocket in area.

Thats why we all need to stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Are you seriously advocating saying to an asymptomatic person, that they have an active disease?

They absolutely do not.

It's scientifically and logically inaccurate use of language - on every possible level.

As I said, it's a fashionable way to phrase it. That's all.

People can be a carrier for all sorts of diseases. Stop talking nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement