Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

54 deaths
    1335 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

kippy wrote: »
    What fools are talking about Zero Covid?
    The mind really boggles - the time for a Zero Covid strategy was back last February March when:
    1. Very little was known about the disease.
    2. There was literally no sign of a vacine being developed, yet alone tested/approved.

Zero covid is a pointless strategy with so many door open and so much of the disease globally, particularily with the issues with Northern Ireland.
    The talk of this should stop and focus on getting the vaccine(s) out there as efficiently as possibly while unwinding resrictions once hospitals clear some more.

Is the problem not that when they reduce restrictions numbers will go up because of the higher transmissibility of this British strain let alone alone other strains?
    So we’ll be back to square one if we open up too early without having quarantine in place and tougher enforcement of existing penalties etc.
    I get what your saying about the problem with NI but we have to work towards zero covid and get to a point where we are happy to open up taking into account the higher transmissibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yes, but what determines the overall severity of COVID is not deaths, but those excess deaths that wouldn't ordinarily be seen.

How many of those 85 a day, for example, now include COVID?

A few posters mentioned the 1,700 deaths in the UK, but proportionally, that is the equivalent of 130 deaths here. How many of those are excess, above and beyond is expected at this time of year.

So yes, I think my perspective does hold some gravity.

UK deaths with COVID on certificate 103,600
    UK COVID deaths within 28 days of diagnosis 101,880
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

UK excess deaths 100,000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/uk-excess-deaths-since-start-of-pandemic-surpass-100-000-data-suggests-1.4462125

So most look to be excess deaths at least at first appearances

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are you seriously advocating saying to an asymptomatic person, that they have an active disease?

They absolutely do not.

It's scientifically and logically inaccurate use of language - on every possible level.

As I said, it's a fashionable way to phrase it. That's all.

90% of people have a form of herpes virus latent in their body, which causes no symptoms. We do not walk around saying to each other, "I have a disease right now".
    You don't like the term but it is a completely acceptable use of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hate the phrase, "the disease".

That Professor Nolan chap, one of the most boring speakers in human history, repeats this phrase ad nauseum.

It's not suppressing a disease; it's suppressing transmission of a virus.

A quarter of people who get the virus are asymptomatic. They cannot be said to have a disease.

It's irritating use of language and it's caught on like some creepy fashion statement.

Holohan loves using it, too.

Imagine getting worked up over this. You know what is being referred to here, no need for the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Cases lower than swabs so. Good to see. Sadly another high number of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭appledrop

Also reports of Gardai breaking up funeral of 200 people also in Wexford.

Looks like Wexford is new hotspot for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Disappointing to go back over 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭kippy

tom1ie wrote: »
    Is the problem not that when they reduce restrictions numbers will go up because of the higher transmissibility of this British strain let alone alone other strains?
    So we’ll be back to square one if we open up too early without having quarantine in place and tougher enforcement of existing penalties etc.
    I get what your saying about the problem with NI but we have to work towards zero covid and get to a point where we are happy to open up taking into account the higher transmissibility.

It's literally way to late for that at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

tom1ie wrote: »

I think its going to have to be trial and error. We don't really know yet what the effect of the UK strain will be. Christmas is hard to judge anything off. I really hope there is something done on vaccines because its starting to feel like we will never get out if this.
    If Boris manages to vaccinate most of the population before European countries vaccinate a quarter of their population its going to be enough to win support for the argument for Brexit and it will be a significant blow to the credibility of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wouldn't say that, vaccinating 70% of adults will probably take most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354498049578512390?s=19

Tony using the 14 day ago here to scare people. I'd be nice just for a change to say how well its going. Numbers dropping really fast yet he searches for a stat to scare people. RTE will use it to spread more misery later no doubt instead of using 5 or 7 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

It's not too late just because you said it is. Zero covid would be an attempt to avoid these ridiculous lockdowns, and to avoid people getting sick and dying. Even when we have vaccines there is no guarantee the virus will stop circulating and infecting the most vulnerable, and there is no guarantee that there won't be an escape. Zero covid would go a long way in helping us avoid more lockdowns in those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sad to see case numbers rising exponentially again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gael23 wrote: »
    Disappointing to go back over 1000

Wednesday is always unually higher than Tuesday. It was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tony using the 14 day ago here to scare people. I'd be nice just for a change to say how well its going. Numbers dropping really fast yet he searches for a stat to scare people. RTE will use it to spread more misery later no doubt instead of using 5 or 7 day.

Fear = obedience to restrictions.

The Irish populace are by and large idiots. If they hear we have good progress there will be crowds on the streets. Dublin's streets are busier now than 2 weeks ago. Same restrictions. Less people making the effort to stay home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Golfman64 wrote: »
    The surge here was caused by 3 weeks of open hospitality followed by mass congregations over Christmas.

Don't forget the migration back down the country after the craic in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

5 and 7 day figures are also higher than October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

7 days average 1,700 cases per day. It was 2891 last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

With respect I think you could be wrong here. How long before we reach 70% via vaccine plus infection? If it’s going to be almost a year or even more well then we need to think of another way of approaching this so we can get back to normality quicker, because this setup is diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

RIP to the 54.

Not surprised at the cases, usual Wednesday jump. We're still on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

appledrop wrote: »

Aw FFS will people ever cop on, especially in Wexford considering what happened at the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

That sort of stuff drives me mad. It's a real kick in the stones for the vast majority of families who have had reduced numbers at funerals for the last year. Just because a family is considered 'large' doesn't mean they all have to show up. Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,882 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

:eek:

That sort of stuff drives me mad. It's a real kick in the stones for the vast majority of families who have had reduced numbers at funerals for the last year. Just because a family is considered 'large' doesn't mean they all have to show up. Morons.

It's the absolute summit of selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,882 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

54 Deaths
    1,335 Cases
    437 in Dublin, 114 in Cork, 78 in Galway, 71 in Meath, 61 in Louth and the remaining 574 cases are spread across all other counties

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Love their big funerals in the middle of a pandemic down in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Love their big funerals in the middle of a pandemic down in Wexford.

I'd say its a conspiracy by undertakers down there. Encourage big funerals so there will be more funerals. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement