Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I'd say its a conspiracy by undertakers down there. Encourage big funerals so there will be more funerals. :)

The undertakers must be dying for more funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I wonder who they are lol.
    buried my uncle today in the rain. had to help with coffin as it lead lined.
    pouring rain. 10 in church. People in cars outside. People on street in cars.
    it was beautiful and safe.
    it takes an utter cnt to act any different.
    rip uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I wonder who they are lol.
    buried my uncle today in the rain. had to help with coffin as it lead lined.
    pouring rain. 10 in church. People in cars outside. People on street in cars.
    it was beautiful and safe.
    it takes an utter cnt to act any different.
    rip uncle

Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think they are from a certain ethnicity immune from any form of criticism or negative publicity in the media

I wonder are they magically immune from covid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,603 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

appledrop wrote: »
    Also reports of Gardai breaking up funeral of 200 people also in Wexford.

According to this they broke up a gathering at a house afterward rather than the funeral itself
    https://www.independent.ie/news/gardai-break-up-gathering-of-up-to-200-people-after-wexford-funeral-as-mourners-urged-to-offer-condolences-online-40018444.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

27-01-2021-p1.jpg
    27-01-2021-p2.jpg
    27-01-2021-p3.jpg
    27-01-2021-p4.jpg
    27-01-2021-p5.jpg
    27-01-2021-p6.jpg
    27-01-2021-p7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I think its going to have to be trial and error. We don't really know yet what the effect of the UK strain will be. Christmas is hard to judge anything off. I really hope there is something done on vaccines because its starting to feel like we will never get out if this.
    If Boris manages to vaccinate most of the population before European countries vaccinate a quarter of their population its going to be enough to win support for the argument for Brexit and it will be a significant blow to the credibility of the EU.
    the EU lost what little credibility it had in in my book when the germans did a back door deal to get their own extra vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I think they are from a certain ethnicity immune from any form of criticism or negative publicity in the media

Nope they're certainly not

Big case count in Cork recently

Members of Cork Traveller community offered 'emergency accommodation' after Covid-19 outbreak

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40211771.html

Some of those who were meant to be isolating still went to shops without masks afterwards

The locals weren't too pleased at that

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

The Toyota Avensis Owner's Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,882 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vaccinated healthcare workers may continue to work if deemed a close Covid contact – Hiqa

• Advertisement

Fear = obedience to restrictions.

The Irish populace are by and large idiots. If they hear we have good progress there will be crowds on the streets. Dublin's streets are busier now than 2 weeks ago. Same restrictions. Less people making the effort to stay home.

It's possible the opposite will happen.
    'This feels endless so I just don't care anymore'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The last funeral in Wexford wasn't. I'd say you are just trying to get a dig in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Horrible numbers yet again. Unfortunately too many people still out and about not respecting the 5klms rule thinking it doesn't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We're a nation of rule breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The Irish populace are by and large idiots.

Unless the population of Ireland has a distribution of intelligence that doesn't follow the normal bell curve then this statement is simply not true.

oceanman wrote: »
    the EU lost what little credibility it had in in my book when the germans did a back door deal to get their own extra vaccines.

Not mention when they tried to block PPE leaving their country. Think France pulled the same trick.

Pissy because Phizer ha a short fall in vaccines now.

Briefing Vs Confirmed
    daily-report-27-01-2021.jpg

Wexford red because of ongoing reporting problems

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Horrible numbers yet again. Unfortunately too many people still out and about not respecting the 5klms rule thinking it doesn't apply to them.

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not ruling it out but not ruling it in either, of course.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354511343265730563

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Probes wrote: »
    It's not too late just because you said it is. Zero covid would be an attempt to avoid these ridiculous lockdowns, and to avoid people getting sick and dying. Even when we have vaccines there is no guarantee the virus will stop circulating and infecting the most vulnerable, and there is no guarantee that there won't be an escape. Zero covid would go a long way in helping us avoid more lockdowns in those cases.

How do you think countries with Zero covid got to that point in the first instane?
    Yes, it's far too late. Should have been done last February when things were somewhat manageable and the risks to the populace were far higher.
    This is the last stict set of restrictions we will have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

oceanman wrote: »

I said this would happen and was shouted down as being a doom monger as per usual for the past year. "Good lad there eire. Of course it'll be divied out equally" :eek:

tom1ie wrote: »
    With respect I think you could be wrong here. How long before we reach 70% via vaccine plus infection? If it’s going to be almost a year or even more well then we need to think of another way of approaching this so we can get back to normality quicker, because this setup is diabolical.

Getting to zero covid is not a lifting of restrictions, it is a far greater set of restrictions initially, with a robost set of border controls.

It's not just about the 70% of the population.
    The key thing with the vaccinne is that is is rolled out to protect the most vulnerable and front line workers first. ie the groups who are at high risk of hospitalisation and/or death from the virus.
    I believe restrictions will gradually ease as we go through the year because the risks of hospital over crowding decreases.
    (Now I am not saying that we should contine with the laze fare approach to incoming travellers) but the general zero covid strategy is close too a year too late at this point to really help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭mcburns07

kippy wrote: »
    Getting to zero covid is not a lifting of restrictions, it is a far greater set of restrictions initially, with a robost set of border controls.

It's not just about the 70% of the population.
    The key thing with the vaccinne is that is is rolled out to protect the most vulnerable and front line workers first. ie the groups who are at high risk of hospitalisation and/or death from the virus.
    I believe restrictions will gradually ease as we go through the year because the risks of hospital over crowding decreases.
    (Now I am not saying that we should contine with the laze fare approach to incoming travellers) but the general zero covid strategy is close too a year too late at this point to really help us.

What additional restrictions would be need to bring in if we wanted to pursue zero covid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

i think many young and healthy people have had their lives turned upside down the last year and the pressure got to them and before Christmas many decided to house party.
    and from that we got this latest wave

since this virus arrived last year and restrictions on peoples movement and personal freedoms were deemed necessary it was always the case if people in their teens, 20s, 30s were not willing to put their lives on hold permanently for the older generations then this virus would explode regardless of any restrictions
    that still remains the same -

the longer the year goes on with any restrictions in place the more chance of serious social unrest.
    and that goes for across all of europe.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    What additional restrictions would be need to bring in if we wanted to pursue zero covid?

Mandatory quarentine of 14 days for anyone entering the country - no matter the reason. Testing while in quarentine.
    Locking down the NI border to some extent and/or coming up with an island approach to the above.
    Further restrictions on the limits around distance allowed from home and a greater increase in penalties and policing of the existing regulations.
    All of the above for an initial 6 weeks or so and the border controls/quarentine for as long as it was deemed necessary.

The practicalities of the NI issue are the core problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I really have to wonder at the crass ignorance and stupidity of so many people calling for a zero covid strategy here. It's not possible without a significant and lengthy process to fundamentally change the way that a large quantity of goods arrive into this country. As things are now, we have a long established distribution chain that is highly dependent on Ro-Ro vehicles bringing all manner of goods into Ireland from across Europe, and changing that to mirror the system that allowed Australia and New Zealand to go for zero covid would require a massive investment in addititonal lorry tractor units based here in Ireland, a massive investment in additional Lift on Lift off container handling cranes at a number of ports, and the purchase of additional ships capable of carrying LiLo containers between the UK, Europe and Ireland, and putting that sort of infrastructure into place will not happen quickly, regardless of how much people might want it to.

Changing RoRo to unaccompanied trailers is also not going to happen any time soon, the process of remote loading and unloading is a LOT slower, and requires massive holding space at the port for the trailers, and both of those issues would mean massive disruption to existing ferry schedules, and congestion at berths due to extended turn round times, the end result being shortages of all manner of items due to massive delays at the ports.

There is also the problem of how we deal with cross border traffic from the North, that has originated in UK or Europe, 1 driver bringing in Covid WILL lead to clusters in all manner of places, unless a fast and effective test can be found that works reliably and quickly, so that ALL drivers can be tested either before boarding, or on arrival on the island.

Changes of this level and nature will not be easy, or quick, and in the meantime, there will be massive disruption to all manner of services, food being the most critical. Effectively, due to the very different ways that things happen here, Zero Covid is a non starter, unless rationing of many items is an acceptable by product. I suspect it won't be.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Neagra wrote: »
    i think many young and healthy people have had their lives turned upside down the last year and the pressure got to them and before Christmas many decided to house party.
    and from that we got this latest wave

since this virus arrived last year and restrictions on peoples movement and personal freedoms were deemed necessary it was always the case if people in their teens, 20s, 30s were not willing to put their lives on hold permanently for the older generations then this virus would explode regardless of any restrictions
    that still remains the same -

the longer the year goes on with any restrictions in place the more chance of serious social unrest.
    and that goes for across all of europe.
    Yes it does, ultimately all of the restrictions in place require people to do the right thing. It's impossible to police them all, all of the time.
    Some people have objected to restrictions from day 1. What can you do?

Ultimately as more of the at risk groups get vacinated the level of adherence in other groups to restrictions will fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Watching prof Jonathon van tam on channel4 news.
    He seems to be clear and concise and is making it easy to understand what the uk’s route is out of this.
    It cuts through a lot of nonsense and fake news that may be out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The UK could have the entire population given the first does by the middle of April!

They are going to have a booming summer

Common travel area. Maybe emigration is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

kippy wrote: »
    How do you think countries with Zero covid got to that point in the first instane?
    Yes, it's far too late. Should have been done last February when things were somewhat manageable and the risks to the populace were far higher.
    This is the last stict set of restrictions we will have.

You clearly didn’t address any of the points that have been raised to tell you it’s not too late.

Apologies I didn’t see your other post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement