Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Any good reason why even one Brazilian should arrive in the country at this time?

Utility industry essential worker.
    Health sector essential worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Hospital report is out

1598 in hospital (nice drop from 1689 last night)
    211 in ICU (down from 215 last night, sadly 5 deaths)

Great to see hospital numbers dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why are they over here at anytime.......travel halfway cross the world to deliver takeaways by bicycle

To arrogant people like you is it?

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why are they over here at anytime.......travel halfway cross the world to deliver takeaways by bicycle

Brazilian people in Ireland don’t just deliver takeaways.
    That’s a fookin ridiculous comment and says more about you to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Any good reason why even one Brazilian should arrive in the country at this time?

Dual citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ingalway

Every time I hear a politician on TV/Radio they keep repeating how few people are flying into the country - tomorrow there are 20 flights coming into the country: https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals
    If this is such a small number why can't each flight be met by a couple of Guards who hand a fine to each Irish resident who has taken a non-essential journey, aka a holiday, disembarking the flight?
    I don't care if the numbers are comparatively low, these people chose to travel beyond their 5kms when others are doing their very best to stick to the rules to keep themselves and everyone else safe. There are people living abroad who have not been able to come home for family funerals - to bury their parents, bothers, sisters, friends etc., yet others are entitled enough to go on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

ingalway wrote: »
    Every time I hear a politician on TV/Radio they keep repeating how few people are flying into the country - tomorrow there are 20 flights coming into the country: https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals
    If this is such a small number why can't each flight be met by a couple of Guards who hand a fine to each Irish resident who has taken a non-essential journey, aka a holiday, disembarking the flight?
    I don't care if the numbers are comparatively low, these people chose to travel beyond their 5kms when others are doing their very best to stick to the rules to keep themselves and everyone else safe. There are people living abroad who have not been able to come home for family funerals - to bury their parents, bothers, sisters, friends etc., yet others are entitled enough to go on holiday.

They are coming in having been tested which is being checked by airport security. I doubt very much there are people who couldn't come home to a parents funeral.......pure hyperbole!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Since when Ireland approved antigen/"rapid" tests? As far as I know those are considered 100% worthless here (legally speaking).
    Ireland haven't.

Rocdoc is a private company. They're selling them to lorry drivers because France require them.

It doesn't make them any more accurate.

Ireland has now - HSE has included Antigen tests as diagnostic for COVID-19. About time too!

I hope the Hauliers have better luck with RocDoc than passengers at Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lots of talk about variant's and new strains being used to stoke fear. It may be true but there has been little info published on it- everything seems very anecdotal.

Matt Handcock in the UK said they had a higher mortality rate but it seems we'll just have to take his word for it. It's strange and worrying that here we are 12 months in and things are getting worse instead of better in relation to lockdowns and restrictions even with vaccine rollout. I hate the term 'New Normal' as nothing about the way we live today is normal, if it continues like this into next year we may have to accept it as normal.

Yeah, there is very little known about the "New strains" and to be fair it's extremely difficult from a scientific POV to do analysis on them in any coherent way when so much is going on that can effect numbers/experiments etc.
    I don't genuinely know if it is to "stoke fear" or perhaps keep the spotlight on the extremely difficult predicament the NHS are in. Either way that government were far too late in getting a lot of things sorted - right from the get go.

So, to the second part of your post. I'd change your mindset a bit. Things aren't generally "getting worse" - there are a lot of good things happening in the world and a lot of things that are getting better - albeit slowly.
    Just imaging we didn't have a vaccine at this point.......or one of the variant was fare more infectious and caused far higher mortality.......

After all this has passed, and it will pass, what will we have learned from it and what will we do to be better prepared IF it happens again (in "our" lifetimes)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Estimated crowd of 250 attended a traveller funeral today
    in Carrick On Shannon. Gardai were present but stood on the sidelines.The cortege was led by a horse drawn carriage. How do I know, I watched in disbelief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Polar101

Eod100 wrote: »
    That lad is a bit tapped or something..

The way this would work for the Russians is that they vaccinate their own people with the Sputnik vaccine, which then might prove to the world that the vaccine is effective - and then sell it to other countries. Now it looks like they've managed to sell it to some countries, but their own vaccination program hasn't done too much. Which makes Sputnik a less viable choice, since they don't even seem to have the production capability to make enough of it - and that would have been the #1 thing to compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

lukas8888 wrote: »
    in Carrick On Shannon. Gardai were present but stood on the sidelines.The cortege was led by a horse drawn carriage. How do I know, I watched in disbelief.

I can imagine

Let's hope there won't be cases after that

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah, there is very little known about the "New strains" and to be fair it's extremely difficult from a scientific POV to do analysis on them in any coherent way when so much is going on that can effect numbers/experiments etc.
    I don't genuinely know if it is to "stoke fear" or perhaps keep the spotlight on the extremely difficult predicament the NHS are in. Either way that government were far too late in getting a lot of things sorted - right from the get go.

So, to the second part of your post. I'd change your mindset a bit. Things aren't generally "getting worse" - there are a lot of good things happening in the world and a lot of things that are getting better - albeit slowly.
    Just imaging we didn't have a vaccine at this point.......or one of the variant was fare more infectious and caused far higher mortality.......

After all this has passed, and it will pass, what will we have learned from it and what will we do to be better prepared IF it happens again (in "our" lifetimes)

Having lived this for a year I'm just a bit sceptical about the ramping of restrictions- my fear is what we are not being told about vaccine efficacy etc.
    It just feels a long way from end game.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

So you attended as well then?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

Seems like we have found our new demon of the month, some people predicted it would be the takeaway coffee people but no it looks like this time the mob is after Brazilians and South Africans. Many of whom have Irish or European passports and make valuable contributions to our country.

They could have been travelling for essential reasons, even if they were not travelling isn't illegal at the moment. Relax people the government will be putting them in forced hotel quarantine so you can start looking for your next targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Presume they were in their home or workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Polar101

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/nearly-half-of-passengers-arriving-into-ireland-were-on-holiday-taoiseach-1.4469184
    Nearly half of all passengers arriving into Ireland on Tuesday were returning from a holiday, Taoiseach Micheál Martin has told a Fianna Fáil party meeting on Wednesday night.

He said that of 800 people arriving into Ireland, 542 were Irish and 397 had been on holidays.

I don't think voluntary self-isolation is going to do anything - so it's either ban flights / make hotel quarantine mandatory, or if that feels too strict - continue as before and hope there won't be too many travel related cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Having lived this for a year I'm just a bit sceptical about the ramping of restrictions- my fear is what we are not being told about vaccine efficacy etc.
    It just feels a long way from end game.

Look, while I know it's not a popular viewpoint, I do think we need to contextualize the situation we find ourselves in - and this is probably easier said than done for people who are really struggling.
    We have had man made, world wars, where literally millions upon millions of people have been displaced, killed (by other humans) that have lasted 5 or 6 years with ramifications that went on for decades.
    There are parts of the world where people kill eachother en mass currently, where people starve to death or die of curable diseases. The list of badness goes on.......

We live in a country where we have a relatively decent standard of living, even at the lower end. The state generally (in comparison to some) looks after it's citizens.
    We have access to a lot of things that other countries can only dream of.

Things aren't perfect - but we are relatively lucky to be where we are when we are.

Not everyones viewpoint, I know, and some people are struggling more than others but that is how I talk to myself when things change and things might look bleak for one reason or another.

It feels a lot closer to unwinding restrictions now than it did back in April for me. There's still some time required, no doubt, but try remain positive - even if all the pointers aren't looking that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Polar101 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/nearly-half-of-passengers-arriving-into-ireland-were-on-holiday-taoiseach-1.4469184

I don't think voluntary self-isolation is going to do anything - so it's either ban flights / make hotel quarantine mandatory, or if that feels too strict - continue as before and hope there won't be too many travel related cases.

Since March there has been restrictions on leaving your house beyond 2km or 5km unless essential.

How the fook has holidays abroad been allowed all during that time?

Seriously what an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

251 so.

• Advertisement

greenheep wrote: »
    Seems like we have found our new demon of the month, some people predicted it would be the takeaway coffee people but no it looks like this time the mob is after Brazilians and South Africans. Many of whom have Irish or European passports and make valuable contributions to our country.

They could have been travelling for essential reasons, even if they were not travelling isn't illegal at the moment. Relax people the government will be putting them in forced hotel quarantine so you can start looking for your next targets.

Or another way of looking at is we are now stopping the virus at one of the points of entry into our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

I think we should go after the Welsh next,
    Just because 😷

kippy wrote: »
    Look, while I know it's not a popular viewpoint, I do think we need to contextualize the situation we find ourselves in - and this is probably easier said than done for people who are really struggling.
    We have had man made, world wars, where literally millions upon millions of people have been displaced, killed (by other humans) that have lasted 5 or 6 years with ramifications that went on for decades.
    There are parts of the world where people kill eachother en mass currently, where people starve to death or die of curable diseases. The list of badness goes on.......

We live in a country where we have a relatively decent standard of living, even at the lower end. The state generally (in comparison to some) looks after it's citizens.
    We have access to a lot of things that other countries can only dream of.

Things aren't perfect - but we are relatively lucky to be where we are when we are.

Not everyones viewpoint, I know, and some people are struggling more than others but that is how I talk to myself when things change and things might look bleak for one reason or another.

It feels a lot closer to unwinding restrictions now than it did back in April for me. There's still some time required, no doubt, but try remain positive - even if all the pointers aren't looking that direction.

Very good post. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

aziz wrote: »
    I think we should go after the Welsh next,
    Just because 😷

Maybe there will be an Irish variant soon then no other country will have us in anyway

Are you being smart, it travelled from church to Graveyard
    I was in supermarket looking out at it. Take a look on social media you can see it in all its glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It sounds like you’re trying to insinuate xenophobia here. You couldn’t be more wrong. People were up in arms at the vastly majority young Irish people coming home from London for Christmas. There wasn’t even a bit of sentimentality that these people would otherwise be spending Christmas in London alone, possibly their first Christmas ever away from home. That barely even got a mention. People don’t want people arriving into the country from virus hotspots, particularly those who have a new variant. Hardly anyone cares what nationality they are.

For all the doubters and wise guys, Google the
    Leitrim Observer and have quick read.

Anyway, so I have not been able to post for a weeks due to catching the covid. Essentially, whilst working in the ED. I was spat in the face by a covid positive member of the public. Developed a fever, spent three days in hospital. One day on oxygen. I've come around the other side (hopefully).

I'm proud of the majority of the country's efforts in trying to combat the virus.

God bless and keep yourselves safe!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyway, so I have not been able to post for a weeks due to catching the covid. Essentially, whilst working in the ED. I was spat in the face by a covid positive member of the public. Developed a fever, spent three days in hospital. One day on oxygen. I've come around the other side (hopefully).

I'm proud of the majority of the country's efforts in trying to combat the virus.

What the fúck is wrong with some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That's horrible, glad you're on the mend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement