Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Anyway, so I have not been able to post for a weeks due to catching the covid. Essentially, whilst working in the ED. I was spat in the face by a covid positive member of the public. Developed a fever, spent three days in hospital. One day on oxygen. I've come around the other side (hopefully).

I'm proud of the majority of the country's efforts in trying to combat the virus.

God bless and keep yourselves safe!

Good lord! That is awful. Glad to hear you’ve made a good recovery. Will any action the taken by the person who gave it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tom1ie wrote: »
    Or another way of looking at is we are now stopping the virus at one of the points of entry into our country.
    it's closing a controlled point of entry and routing people to an uncontrolled one.

Imagine an Irish person lives in Germany. Their job, home, etc. are there.

Germany says that any arrivals from Ireland will be placed in a hotel for two weeks on arrival and cannot leave.

But there's an alternative; they can land in Austria and just go home. The border cannot be controlled and Austria won't stop them because they're planning on travelling into another jurisdiction.

Because they're the kind of moron who just can't help but travel during a pandemic, they don't think, "Oh, maybe I just won't go back to Ireland right now". Instead they make their arrangements to take the technically legal backdoor and travel back from Germany with no quarantine, and the German government has no idea they've even been out of the country.

This is the issue. At least with the front door open, you know who's coming in. Close it, and you don't.

The primary issue is in greater enforcement of the front door. We have thousands of people who've been available to police this for months.

You have them go out, every day for two weeks, to knock on the door of someone who has recently arrived. Randomly you'll knock twice on someones door in a day. If they're not at the address, they get a warning. If they're absent a second time, a fine is issued and they have 24 hours to appear at the nearest Garda station to pay it.

3 absences or a failure to present yourself at the Garda station and a warrant is issued for your arrest, carrying a maximum penalty of six months in prison.

Simple, practical, and something that people won't fly into Belfast to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Inconvenient to point out those openly flouting restrictions, there might be "racist" connotations and we can't have that in a fair & just society. It appears some are more equal than others:
    https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/605173/large-crowd-attends-traveller-funeral-in-carrick-on-shannon-today.html

One law for the majority, another for our ethnic friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

I remember in late March or early April there were 11 stories (I counted) above the fold on an international news website that, each on their own, would have been a global story for weeks - but as it was, barely got coverage for the day - and even then not on all news providers. It has been the most extraordinary 12 months (and counting, unfortunately).

I can detach similarly for the most part but every once in a while I get drawn back in with a clatter and a thud. And these last couple of days have been pretty grim. Probably my personal low point. So if United lose tonight I may be driven back to the dhrink!

This was the way ��

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

seamus wrote: »
    it's closing a controlled point of entry and routing people to an uncontrolled one.

Imagine an Irish person lives in Germany. Their job, home, etc. are there.

Germany says that any arrivals from Ireland will be placed in a hotel for two weeks on arrival and cannot leave.

But there's an alternative; they can land in Austria and just go home. The border cannot be controlled and Austria won't stop them because they're planning on travelling into another jurisdiction.

Because they're the kind of moron who just can't help but travel during a pandemic, they don't think, "Oh, maybe I just won't go back to Ireland right now". Instead they make their arrangements to take the technically legal backdoor and travel back from Germany with no quarantine, and the German government has no idea they've even been out of the country.

This is the issue. At least with the front door open, you know who's coming in. Close it, and you don't.

The primary issue is in greater enforcement of the front door. We have thousands of people who've been available to police this for months.

You have them go out, every day for two weeks, to knock on the door of someone who has recently arrived. Randomly you'll knock twice on someones door in a day. If they're not at the address, they get a warning. If they're absent a second time, a fine is issued and they have 24 hours to appear at the nearest Garda station to pay it.

3 absences or a failure to present yourself at the Garda station and a warrant is issued for your arrest, carrying a maximum penalty of six months in prison.

Simple, practical, and something that people won't fly into Belfast to avoid.

So you want people in isolation in case they have covid to present themselves at garda stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So you want people in isolation in case they have covid to present themselves at garda stations?

I think you miss the overall point.

Hospital numbers really looking great at the moment. Coming down far faster than I would have expected, potentially by 20% per week.

This would put us at less than 1,000 in hospital by Valentine's day.

ICU is a bit of a wildcard, but even so the government's timetable for reopening schools might look very pessimistic. If we're at 500 cases a day and 900 in hospital, and dropping, the pressure is going to be on. Will people tolerate only SNE and Leaving Cert students going back that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,879 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Polar101

seamus wrote: »

The only way is to have similar controls in Belfast, so the people who are looking for the other "doors" will get "caught" too.

Checking if people are home won't do much good - if they aren't at home, then the end result is pretty much the same as if they were let in without any control.

If we want some kind of effective travel restrictions, we'd have to work with the UK. Current thinking looks to head towards "let's have some restrictions, and hope it's enough", which would be consistent with government policy over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,879 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyway, so I have not been able to post for a weeks due to catching the covid. Essentially, whilst working in the ED. I was spat in the face by a covid positive member of the public. Developed a fever, spent three days in hospital. One day on oxygen. I've come around the other side (hopefully).
    I'm proud of the majority of the country's efforts in trying to combat the virus.

I'm glad you are well, the spitter should face punishment, that is despicable and disgusting

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    If we want some kind of effective travel restrictions, we'd have to work with the UK. Current thinking looks to head towards "let's have some restrictions, and hope it's enough", which would be consistent with government policy over the past year.
    The main issue is that we're not a single epidemiological region. The UK have made an utter balls of it. To the extent that even while we has famously the worst growth rate on earth, the UK was still worse overall than we were.

Hitching ourselves to the UK as a single travel area means exposing ourselves to one of the worst hit countries in the world. We have done better over the last year by *not* tackling this in conjunction with the UK and by going it alone instead.

What we need is for the North to implement restrictions on travellers from Britain. That gives us protections from mainland Britain. There is no other solution that'll give us a better outcome than going it alone.

But we know restrictions from Britain to Northern Ireland are a non-runner. So the only option we have left is to go it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

greenheep wrote: »
    Seems like we have found our new demon of the month, some people predicted it would be the takeaway coffee people but no it looks like this time the mob is after Brazilians and South Africans. Many of whom have Irish or European passports and make valuable contributions to our country.

They could have been travelling for essential reasons, even if they were not travelling isn't illegal at the moment. Relax people the government will be putting them in forced hotel quarantine so you can start looking for your next targets.

It's not the fact they are Brazilian or South African more so the fact they come from these places with some of the most rampant uncontrolled outbreaks on earth and there are variants of great concern circulating in those places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

greenheep wrote: »
    Seems like we have found our new demon of the month, some people predicted it would be the takeaway coffee people but no it looks like this time the mob is after Brazilians and South Africans. Many of whom have Irish or European passports and make valuable contributions to our country.

They could have been travelling for essential reasons, even if they were not travelling isn't illegal at the moment. Relax people the government will be putting them in forced hotel quarantine so you can start looking for your next targets.

Good point. The narrative in this thread has become quite xenophobic in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Any good reason why even one Brazilian should arrive in the country at this time?

To work in a meat factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Australia celebrating and enjoying their victory over the virus. Organisation and planning is what has guided them.

The pathetic shambles here must never, ever be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

hope you reported him to the gardai for assault, glad you're feeling better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Stick your bum out the car window

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My god, some people are beyond redemption :mad: speedy recovery to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Polar101

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/restrictions-may-be-eased-to-level-4-after-march-5th-varadkar-says-1.4469560
    Tánaiste Leo Varadkar told a meeting of the Fine Gael parliamentary party on Wednesday night that the country may move to Level 4 measures or “Level 4 with modifications” after March 5th.

Possible appearance by the rare Level 4 (or plus a bit) on the cards in a few weeks. So that would mean schools open, and no 5km limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I said 8 months ago that Anal swabs were more accurate, people thought I was joking.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113434379&postcount=3819

Good call.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The_Brood wrote: »
    Australia celebrating and enjoying their victory over the virus. Organisation and planning is what has guided them.

The pathetic shambles here must never, ever be forgotten.

This dress rehearsal hasn't really gone well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nicely put.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭fits

I hope you can press charges. That’s awful. Speedy recovery to you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Leo is defending governments approach to international travel by saying that only 1% of Covid cases are related to international travel.

Absolutely farcical!!!

If there was no international travel in or out of Ireland there would be no Covid in Ireland! Not sure how Leo thinks Covid got here in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It's not the fact they are Brazilian or South African more so the fact they come from these places with some of the most rampant uncontrolled outbreaks on earth and there are variants of great concern circulating in those places

I’ll bet there are similar variants in other countries where Covid went wild, but like everything Covid related, we’re on the back foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see Leo is defending governments approach to international travel by saying that only 1% of Covid cases are related to international travel.

Absolutely farcical!!!

If there was no international travel in or out of Ireland there would be no Covid in Ireland! Not sure how Leo thinks Covid got here in the first place?

Nonsense like that will only anger people. Sure weren't 60% of the cases in Ireland come autumn of a Spanish strain that started in the summer. And in the summer I believe the lowest daily cases was around 3. Would make you go bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Nonsense like that will only anger people. Sure weren't 60% of the cases in Ireland come autumn of a Spanish strain that started in the summer. And in the summer I believe the lowest daily cases was around 3. Would make you go bald.

So are you advocating that by closing borders the virus will just disappear?
    What about all of the Covid currently circulating here?
    What about Melbourne and Victoria in Australia - as I’ve pointed out on this thread before. They had mandatory quarantine and still ended up with 400 in hospital come June/July and widespread community transmission. They had a lockdown from July - November despite having mandatory quarantine.
    Would the posters here suggesting that the mandatory quarantine approach is the only way to go...accept a 4 month lockdown for the Winter while it’s in place?
    This is a very real possibility as Victoria’s weather is the ‘coldest’ on the Australian continent in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Polar101 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/restrictions-may-be-eased-to-level-4-after-march-5th-varadkar-says-1.4469560

Possible appearance by the rare Level 4 (or plus a bit) on the cards in a few weeks. So that would mean schools open, and no 5km limit.

Level 4 is pointless. It basically only changes the 5k to county wide as they're hardly going to open hospitality for outdoor only as part of it. Schools and construction will open under a relaxed level 5 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m just concerned that their vendetta against travel is here to stay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement