Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

So are you advocating that by closing borders the virus will just disappear?
    What about all of the Covid currently circulating here?
    What about Melbourne and Victoria in Australia - as I’ve pointed out on this thread before. They had mandatory quarantine and still ended up with 400 in hospital come June/July and widespread community transmission. They had a lockdown from July - November despite having mandatory quarantine.
    Would the posters here suggesting that the mandatory quarantine approach is the only way to go...accept a 4 month lockdown for the Winter while it’s in place?
    This is a very real possibility as Victoria’s weather is the ‘coldest’ on the Australian continent in winter.

My point was he's talking crap saying only 1% of covid is due to travel. Do you agree with him? Do you think covid magical swam across the Irish Sea?

And the time do something about that was summer when we had 3 cases per day. 60% of our autumn cases were a Spanish variant. We never learnt. Brazilian and S.A variant has been spoken about for some time now. They allowed plane loads in from Brazil while 5km travel restrictions were in place. Of 2k or so of them less than 1/3 came forward for testing and almost 1 in 10 of them tested positive. So now we have another new variant running about. And the south africa variant is 20 to 200% more transmissible from a study posted today. They also came in here during that time frame.

So he shouldn't be lying saying its only 1% due to travel. We're not thick. And Australia is restriction free again. They've had some flare ups and dealt with them accordingly.

I'd rather live restriction free than constant lockdown and while we're locked down anyone can swan in off a plane and spread a new variant because the government never enforced mandatory quarantine . Its not my fault they're completely out of their depth and telling the most ridiculous lies that only 1% of covid is due to travel.

And you talk would we accept a 4 month quarantine lol. We've already been in lockdown for longer, more pain for no gain. Sure to repeat the same mistakes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Leo on tele last night talking about vaccines like they are the sliver bullet

When he was at a press conference 24 hours earlier saying vaccines weren't the silver bullet due to variants

When he was at a press conference 24 hours earlier saying vaccines weren't the silver bullet due to variants

A complete spoofer he is.

Anyway, so I have not been able to post for a weeks due to catching the covid. Essentially, whilst working in the ED. I was spat in the face by a covid positive member of the public. Developed a fever, spent three days in hospital. One day on oxygen. I've come around the other side (hopefully).

I'm proud of the majority of the country's efforts in trying to combat the virus.

God bless and keep yourselves safe!

What age are you, and do you have any underlying conditions?

Woke up to 2 cases in Vietnam after 55 days free. By lunch, over 80. UK variant and no F0. Seems to be the most serious situation yet. There has been so social distancing or masks at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 24,415 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    My point was he's talking crap saying only 1% of covid is due to travel. Do you agree with him? Do you think covid magical swam across the Irish Sea?

And the time do something about that was summer when we had 3 cases per day. They allowed plane loads in from Brazil while 5km travel restrictions were in place. Of 2k or so of them less than 1/3 came forward for testing and almost 1 in 10 of them tested positive. So now we have another new variant running about. And the south africa variant is 20 to 200% more transmissible from a study posted today. They also came in here during that time frame.

So he shouldn't be lying saying its only 1% due to travel. We're not thick. And Australia is restriction free again. They've had some flare ups and dealt with them accordingly.

I'd rather live restriction free than constant lockdown and while we're locked down anyone can swan in off a plane and spread a new variant because the government never enforced mandatory quarantine . Its not my fault they're completely out of their depth and telling the most ridiculous lies that only 1% of covid is due to travel.

And you talk would we accept a 4 month quarantine lol. We've already been in lockdown for longer, more pain for no gain. Sure to repeat the same mistakes again.

1. Australia is in its summer - there is clearly a seasonal element to this virus. Restaurants and hotels were packed in Irish hotspots last summer and cases were minimal.
    2. No point retrospectively criticising everything - it’s not constructive and despite what some seem to believe, the Government don’t have a crystal ball. The narrative has completely changed from the vaccine = way out of this from before Christmas.
    3. I agree some border protections are needed with the emergence of new variants. It’s completely changed the game even with vaccines. And the EU will need a new approach.
    4. We should align ourselves with the U.K. or EU re travel to effectively curb it as a means of entry for new strains. We’ve an open land border with the U.K. and are members of the EU. People thinking we will be able to achieve zero Covid despite this fact are living in cloud cuckoo land. However things have taken such a turn since Christmas - cloud cuckoo land now holds merit.
    5. I think the Government overall needs to start talking about ways of getting schools reopened, basic services back up and running. I think it’s naive to think the Irish public are going to sit in lockdown for months with no light at the end of the tunnel, and now looks like no Astra Zeneca vaccine roll out until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Eod100 wrote: »

Since the last meeting of European ministers the mood music has changed in pretty much every country- Increased restrictions, travel bans etc. Whatever was discussed openly and behind the scenes has lead to a stricter stance for all countries. I suppose the issues with vaccine rollout and efficacy issues must be part of it.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,415 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Since the last meeting of European ministers the mood music has changed in pretty much every country- Increased restrictions, travel bans etc. Whatever was discussed openly and behind the scenes has lead to a stricter stance for all countries. I suppose the issues with vaccine rollout and efficacy issues must be part of it.

efficacy issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

what was probably discussed was that we have a road out and we are on the final bit of the journey lets not fall asleep and crash 5 minutes from home

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Chambers has now deleted.

From what I can see online the German minister was referring to what we already know that it'll be late March / early April before larger volumes begin arriving.

Anyway Pfizer supply is back to its usual schedule this week and increases mid feb, moderna delivery also due this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

1. Australia is in its summer - there is clearly a seasonal element to this virus. Restaurants and hotels were packed in Irish hotspots last summer and cases were minimal.
    2. No point retrospectively criticising everything - it’s not constructive and despite what some seem to believe, the Government don’t have a crystal ball. The narrative has completely changed from the vaccine = way out of this from before Christmas.
    3. I agree some border protections are needed with the emergence of new variants. It’s completely changed the game even with vaccines. And the EU will need a new approach.
    4. We should align ourselves with the U.K. or EU re travel to effectively curb it as a means of entry for new strains. We’ve an open land border with the U.K. and are members of the EU. People thinking we will be able to achieve zero Covid despite this fact are living in cloud cuckoo land. However things have taken such a turn since Christmas - cloud cuckoo land now holds merit.
    5. I think the Government overall needs to start talking about ways of getting schools reopened, basic services back up and running. I think it’s naive to think the Irish public are going to sit in lockdown for months with no light at the end of the tunnel, and now looks like no Astra Zeneca vaccine roll out until later.

We need a proper debate about zero Covid. Need to spell out exactly what it means.

It means moving up a level from where we are now including curfews. That stricter level will apply until at least May. It will mean draconian powers for AGS. It means that either the island is sealed or more likely the border will need to be closed and will be closed for a period of at least a year. Pretty much no flights or ferries in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

seamie78 wrote: »
    what was probably discussed was that we have a road out and we are on the final bit of the journey lets not fall asleep and crash 5 minutes from home

Yeah I think its the strategy for rollout, get cases as low as possible then vaccinate as much as possible, people getting sick will start at a low base and continue at that low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's B.1.1.7 and its African cousin. Vaccine efficacy against them is good news but for now they add to the challenge of countries getting their numbers down.

Australia isn't the only country to be virus free. I'm not retrospectively criticising every thing. It is just infuriating for Leo to say only 1% is caused by travel. Statements like that will only piss people off. It is a fact that 60% of cases in autumn came from the Spanish variant. Once again they've been too slow to react with the Brazilian and S.A variant as the figures I posted above alluded to.

Given the new study today which shows S.A variant is 20 to 200% more contagious and god knows what the Brazilian variant is , its not a great day to hear that nonsense from him. I know its not an easy situation for any government but there's no point them provoking us with nonsense statements.

Chambers has now deleted.

From what I can see online the German minister was referring to what we already know that it'll be late March / early April before larger volumes begin arriving.

Anyway Pfizer supply is back to its usual schedule this week and increases mid feb, moderna delivery also due this week

No doubt people will start taking screen shots of some of the madness which “journalists” are posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

lawred2 wrote: »
    efficacy issues?

There were question marks raised about efficacy issues in over 65's. Since declared a mistake- the confusion being that the 8% number related to the number of people over 65 in the trial. But there seems to be uncertainty about the rollout because of delays etc.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No doubt people will start taking screen shots of some of the madness which “journalists” are posting.

Ah sure look in the last few days its literally been who can get to twitter first, sure they all jumped all over the 8% news from Germany before even fact checking, likewise yesterday, 1 news agency said our source tells us meeting between EU & AZ is off, spread like wildfire. 30 mins later they all said nope its still on.

Just goes to show the power of social media and the ability or lack of to actually fact check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

He’s a fcukin waffler.what do you expect.
    Leaks like a sieve then.
    How he’s still in a job is beyond me

Ah sure look in the last few days its literally been who can get to twitter first, sure they all jumped all over the 8% news from Germany before even fact checking, likewise yesterday, 1 news agency said our source tells us meeting between EU & AZ is off, spread like wildfire. 30 mins later they all said nope its still on.

Just goes to show the power of social media and the ability or lack of to actually fact check.

Its a form of addiction for them. Be first not right.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Yeah I think its the strategy for rollout, get cases as low as possible then vaccinate as much as possible, people getting sick will start at a low base and continue at that low level.

Pharmaceutical companies should have been funded to expand manufacturing and put on a war-style footing from summer last year - under the assumption that one or more of the vaccines would be approved. Everything should have been laser-focussed on this kind of mass manufacture, both internally and externally.

That way, mass manufacture of vaccines would already be well underway - without these needless delays.

Better to have taken the risk on the side of science, than have to deal with the situation we now find ourselves in.

This was entirely avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We need a proper debate about zero Covid. Need to spell out exactly what it means.

It means moving up a level from where we are now including curfews. That stricter level will apply until at least May. It will mean draconian powers for AGS. It means that either the island is sealed or more likely the border will need to be closed and will be closed for a period of at least a year. Pretty much no flights or ferries in or out.
    While neither NPHET nor the government are in favour of it, it's just an echo chamber. Their reasoning is and has always been the practicality of doing so. To quote the CMO - "This is our strategy and we believe it is the right one". The backdrop to the current clamour is a very tired, frustrated and probably angry populace who see the only answer to this, vaccinations, being "messed up" or too slow. People will cling to any hope in that situation and find anyone they can to blame.

Zero COVID by its definition has no clear time limit and is like a very extended version of "we're not there yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And some just want to spread utter scutter.

Thats why social media needs to be accountable. Anti-Vax wingnuts will spend months citing those now debunked tweets as "Da Truff"

Its the same with masks.

Some just want the lies since they know there are eejits who will lap it all up.

Pharmaceutical companies should have been funded to expand manufacturing and put on a war-style footing from summer last year - under the assumption that one or more of the vaccines would be approved. Everything should have been laser-focussed on this kind of mass manufacture, both internally and externally.

That way, mass manufacture of vaccines would already be well underway - without these needless delays.

Better to have taken the risk on the side of science, than have to deal with the situation as it now finds itself.

This was entirely avoidable.

Can there be contract manufacturing of any of these vaccines out of existing pharmacy plants in this country? How long would it take to set this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Interesting study, taking many factors into account on how countries have dealt with covid.
    https://interactives.lowyinstitute.org/features/covid-performance/#region

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tell that to older people who will never see their grandchildren again with such a move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Anyone else a little bit peeved seeing all this news and experiencing major restrictions and wondering what the hell the Chinese were doing by messing with the virus in their Wuhan lab? When the virus first started, Wuhan had the world's leading coronavirus research facility, as well as the first city to be ravaged by the pandemic outbreak. That's not a coincidence, and I'm not happy with them, not happy at all.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Anyone else a little bit peeved seeing all this news and experiencing major restrictions and wondering what the hell the Chinese were doing by messing with the virus in their Wuhan lab? When the virus first started, Wuhan had the world's leading coronavirus research facility, as well as the first city to be ravaged by the pandemic outbreak. That's not a coincidence, and I'm not happy with them, not happy at all.

How will you channel the unhappiness at China?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement