Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Kivaro wrote: »
    Anyone else a little bit peeved seeing all this news and experiencing major restrictions and wondering what the hell the Chinese were doing by messing with the virus in their Wuhan lab? When the virus first started, Wuhan had the world's leading coronavirus research facility, as well as the first city to be ravaged by the pandemic outbreak. That's not a coincidence, and I'm not happy with them, not happy at all.

So are we now sure that it didn't come from selling and then eating infected bats at a wet market? I missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyone else a little bit peeved seeing all this news and experiencing major restrictions and wondering what the hell the Chinese were doing by messing with the virus in their Wuhan lab? When the virus first started, Wuhan had the world's leading coronavirus research facility, as well as the first city to be ravaged by the pandemic outbreak. That's not a coincidence, and I'm not happy with them, not happy at all.

Sent from my Chinese made device.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Iv'e done my own little part over the last 6 months and decided to stop where at all possible buying goods produced in China. It's hard and i have not always been able to find what i wanted but i make the effort.

I must add it's not just over the virus either as i believe their treatment of the Uighur Muslims is disgusting and comparable to how Hitler viewed the Jews and we all know how that ended. The world can stand by and ignore it for financial reasons but i certainly will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How will you channel the unhappiness at China?
    For starters, I will stop ordering their takeaways. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sent from my Chinese made device.....
    South Korean actually, but you are all knowing ..... apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We need a proper debate about zero Covid. Need to spell out exactly what it means.

It means moving up a level from where we are now including curfews. That stricter level will apply until at least May. It will mean draconian powers for AGS. It means that either the island is sealed or more likely the border will need to be closed and will be closed for a period of at least a year. Pretty much no flights or ferries in or out.

Both of your first two sentences are wrong. If you want to start a debate you should probably try and get the basic facts you are laying out correct first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    Both of your first two sentences are wrong. If you want to start a debate you should probably try and get the basic facts you are laying out correct first.
    And here I was, waiting excitedly for you to do exactly that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

snotboogie wrote: »

So please correct me. What are the basic facts? What will Zero Covid mean (and I think we should benchmark this against New Zealand’s approach).

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

titan18 wrote: »
    Level 4 is pointless. It basically only changes the 5k to county wide as they're hardly going to open hospitality for outdoor only as part of it. Schools and construction will open under a relaxed level 5 anyway.

Golf is allowed at Level 4. Small positive.

Golfman64 wrote: »

Perhaps not under the new version.

• Advertisement

Level 4 is effectively Level 5-light; no material difference at all.

It's nuts.

Perhaps not under the new version.

Literally zero rational not to allow it but fair point. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Level 4 is effectively Level 5-light; no material difference at all.

It's nuts.

Golf was allowed during Level 4 in Dublin back in October.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4878/level-4-restrictions-in-republic-of-ireland

Golf was allowed during Level 4 in Dublin back in October.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4878/level-4-restrictions-in-republic-of-ireland

Something tells me that the sight and sound of Michael Martin announcing a return to golf in March is unlikely to set alight the imagination, hopes, and aspirations of the entire population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Iv'e done my own little part over the last 6 months and decided to stop where at all possible buying goods produced in China. It's hard and i have not always been able to find what i wanted but i make the effort.

I must add it's not just over the virus either as i believe their treatment of the Uighur Muslims is disgusting and comparable to how Hitler viewed the Jews and we all know how that ended. The world can stand by and ignore it for financial reasons but i certainly will not.

99.999999999% of everything I have ever seen in this world has a Made in China tag. Some have a weird "Assembled in Germany" or something lead on, but if you read far enough "Made in China" is still there.

Maybe rich folks have access to products made elsewhere, everyone else on a normal salary does not.

titan18 wrote: »
    Level 4 is pointless. It basically only changes the 5k to county wide as they're hardly going to open hospitality for outdoor only as part of it. Schools and construction will open under a relaxed level 5 anyway.
    As Tesco say, every little helps! It gives people a small bit of hope for March 5.

Something tells me that the sight and sound of Michael Martin announcing a return to golf in March is unlikely to set alight the imagination, hopes, and aspirations of the entire population.
    Outdoor eating and drinking will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Zero Covid. What a fantasy!
    Yesterdays antics in Carrick on Shannon should have ended the zero Covid argument forever.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Zero Covid. What a fantasy!
    Yesterdays antics in Carrick on Shannon should have ended the zero Covid argument forever.
    ????

Literally zero rational not to allow it but fair point. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I don’t play golf but agree with you. There is an element now of making things up as they go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see Leo is defending governments approach to international travel by saying that only 1% of Covid cases are related to international travel.

Absolutely farcical!!!

If there was no international travel in or out of Ireland there would be no Covid in Ireland! Not sure how Leo thinks Covid got here in the first place?

Yeah this was relevant a year ago. Covid is already in Ireland, international travel makes **** all difference to our case load, despite people howling about it.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Outdoor eating and drinking will help.

I'm far more interested in the creation of a COVID spy network.

For instance, hire Brazilian spies to spy on what is happening in the community; social media etc.; and report it to the authorities before these spreader events take place. Those found guilty of breaching the guidelines are jailed for at least 14-days, and allowed back into the community if a negative PCR test is produced. Repeat offenders are deported.

A permanent ban on Brazilians and Portuguese people from entering the country.

Furthermore, a database must be created for any undocumented Brazilians in the country, who must be asked to prove their status. In time, they can be deported from the country.

They are generally a young and lax community and robust law enforcement must be applied disproportionately to those more likely to increase the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

is_that_so wrote: »
    ????

Funeral with up to 300 mourners, no masks, no social distancing no respect for anyone or anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah this was relevant a year ago. Covid is already in Ireland, international travel makes **** all difference to our case load, despite people howling about it.

66% of our cases (estimate per Monday press briefing) are the UK variant. By definition this means that they have been caused by travel occurring since September.

I think that's a fairly significant contribution to our cases.

66% of our cases (estimate per Monday press briefing) are the UK variant. By definition this means that they have been caused by travel occurring since September.

you cant travel 4 miles from your house for weeks on end...but quaratining potentially infected tourists for 14 days is a complete non-runner

Im nearly sure our earlier dominent varient was traced to southern spain:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/majority-of-irish-covid-19-cases-come-from-variant-that-originated-in-spain-study-1.4394152%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

It made a pretty big difference over Christmas as people came back for Christmas as spread to the four corners of the country

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I was not necessarily coming from that perspective.

What I was getting at is that is that if current cases are approx. 60%(+) UK variant, Leo stating that only 1% of cases are travel related is simply a white lie! The UK variant did not blow across the Irish Sea!

BTW, I am not an advocate of zero Covid/fully closing borders. It's impractical.

However travel should be strictly limited to truly essential travel for now. Was shocked to see on Primetime the other day gombeens in Dublin AP just back from their hols in Lanzarote!

Caused primarily by local behaviours. The NZ/Australia experiment limiting of movement of travellers is enough evidence of how people not following protocols spreads it. It'll still get in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

No it doesn't. That's awful logic, we may as well say every case in Ireland is due to China, sure you can justify it, but its uttterly useless for decision making.

66% of our cases have not been caused by travel since September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It doesnt matter what the variant is! It was spread due to local interactions and lax restrictions.

If the Bundoran variant was dominant like the UK variant it would be the Bundoran variant that would be spreading

A virus variant being more dominant does not mean it is more transmissable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement