Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can say it was "well observed" based solely on mobility data.

Businesses can be closed by law. Homes can't.

We already know that the primary driver for infections is household mixing. In the mobility data it's not possible to separate "people staying at home" from "people going into eachother's homes".

The lockdown in Kent in November wasn't lighter than what we have now.

But the social landscape was different.

I'm not saying their November lockdown is similar to our current lockdown, I'm saying that as a set of restrictions it's broadly similar to our level 5 (October).

You're right on household visits. We can't tell from google's data how well that was observed.
    But nor do we have anything to suggest that the people of Kent are radically different from us.

If all you can do to assure me is to tell me that the people of Kent might have visited each others gafs more often than we did, then I'm afraid I remain concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can say it was "well observed" based solely on mobility data.

Businesses can be closed by law. Homes can't.

We already know that the primary driver for infections is household mixing. In the mobility data it's not possible to separate "people staying at home" from "people going into eachother's homes".

The lockdown in Kent in November wasn't lighter than what we have now.

But the social landscape was different.

We do not know this. Our contact tracing is far too primitive to accurately track where the infections are coming from. In countries where there is extensive contact tracing like South Korea that is not found to be the case.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve watched many science shows and the idea that humanity will probably end up killing itself comes up a lot. I don’t think people realise how self destructive human behavior is and during the pandemic our collective desire to not adapt has been destructive at managing it.

Far too pessimistic and gloomy.

We have adapted, as realistically as possible. Perfection is unattainable.

Science has also adapted, too - providing the golden key that unlocks this global problem.

Whilst societies can tend to selfishness, I think that your gloomy extrapolation is overly pessimistic.

And that Doomsday Clock is a load of hogwash!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

From the guardian live feed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jan/28/coronavirus-live-news-who-says-covid-war-can-be-won-white-house-predicts-90000-more-deaths-by-march?CMP=share_btn_tw&page=with:block-6012785d8f089620aae27e40#block-6012785d8f089620aae27e40
    Portugal says situation is 'terrible'
    Portugal is in a terrible phase of the coronavirus pandemic, the prime minister, António Costa said, warning that it would be some weeks before things might start to improve and only limited help could be expected from abroad.

With a total of 668,951 confirmed Covid-19 cases and 11,305 deaths, including a record 293 dead on Wednesday, Portugal has the world’s highest seven-day average of new daily cases and deaths per million inhabitants.

The situation was not “bad”, it was “terrible”, Costa told the TVI broadcaster overnight.

“There is no point in feeding the illusion that we are not facing the worst moment,” he said. “And we’ll face this worst moment for a few more weeks, that is for sure.”

Costa said the situation had worsened partly because his government relaxed restrictive measures between Christmas and the end of the year, but also due to the virulence of a new variant of the virus first detected in Britain, Reuters reports.

Germany said on Wednesday that it was sending military medical experts to Portugal to see what kind of support it could bring. But Costa warned there was only so much Germany and other European partners could do, adding that “one should be cautious” about the idea of sending patients to foreign countries - like Germany, for instance, did last year with patients just across the border in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Don't know if anyone posted this yesterday. Didn't someone mention a doctor dying recently and was given grief over it.

Tributes to Dublin doctor who died with Covid-19
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tributes-to-dublin-doctor-who-died-with-covid-19-1.4468457?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Need to get a few bits for college. Anyone know - are Easons open? It says so on google but it may be outdated info.

Eason's are indeed open. Was in the one in Liffey Valley last week picking up some bits for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm far more interested in the creation of a COVID spy network.

For instance, hire Brazilian spies to spy on what is happening in the community; social media etc.; and report it to the authorities before these spreader events take place. Those found guilty of breaching the guidelines are jailed for at least 14-days, and allowed back into the community if a negative PCR test is produced. Repeat offenders are deported.

A permanent ban on Brazilians and Portuguese people from entering the country.

Furthermore, a database must be created for any undocumented Brazilians in the country, who must be asked to prove their status. In time, they can be deported from the country.

They are generally a young and lax community and robust law enforcement must be applied disproportionately to those more likely to increase the spread of the virus.

Ah, the new Gestapo. Sounds great Herr Himmler.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

spookwoman wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone posted this yesterday. Didn't someone mention a doctor dying recently and was given grief over it.

Somebody did. Not sure they got grief?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

spookwoman wrote: »

Tributes to Dublin doctor who died with Covid-19
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tributes-to-dublin-doctor-who-died-with-covid-19-1.4468457?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Yes, timeline seems to fit.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ah, the new Gestapo. Sounds great Herr Himmler.

Absurd conclusion.

If these avoidable social events were to continue unimpeded, the virus would continue to spread far more than it otherwise needs to - and this is at a critical juncture of the pandemic, too.

If that happened, you would be first in line to argue that government should have taken additional steps to ensure the public were compliant.

In other words: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Portugal about to declare a state of emergency as their hospitals are under severe pressure.

Have we banned flights to Portugal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Oh dear i see some posters actually think zero covid means zero cases. After a year of this you'd imagine a little bit of reading and research would go a long way :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Portugal about to declare a state of emergency as their hospitals are under severe pressure.

Have we banned flights to Portugal?

No, neighbour is flying off to Faro tomorrow for a week. Taking one of the small recovery trucks to get around the Garda and their questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Polar101

Absurd conclusion.

Well, if you suggest setting up a spy network to deport dodgy Brazilians, it's not just the conclusions that can be absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Eason's are indeed open. Was in the one in Liffey Valley last week picking up some bits for work.

GRMA :)

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well, if you suggest setting up a spy network to deport dodgy Brazilians, it's not just the conclusions that can be absurd.

Spy networks are used all the time in law enforcement.

And in many respects, we already have them: for example, citizens reporting parties that are ongoing etc. The principle is exactly the same.

This is not a novel concept; and it's not limited to the extreme examples you cite - a la 1930s etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Somebody did. Not sure they got grief?
    Yes, timeline seems to fit.

Just remember a having a go becuase nothing to back it up.

User since banned and it was back on the 6th when they posted about hearing of the death.

Oh dear i see some posters actually think zero covid means zero cases. After a year of this you'd imagine a little bit of reading and research would go a long way :o

Well, maybe all those Ryans and McConkeys out there would have been well served to not have called it zero Covid and gone on and on and on and on about it. And instead looked at a pragmatic approach which would have suppressed the virus while at the same time acknowledging that elimination is literally impossible. But, no, they have not shifted from their elimination strategy. If they’d been more pragmatic then they might have got somewhere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Cerveza wrote: »
    No, neighbour is flying off to Faro tomorrow for a week. Taking one of the small recovery trucks to get around the Garda and their questions.

So your neighbour is going on a little holiday?

Well, maybe all those Ryans and McConkeys out there would have been well served to not have called it zero Covid and gone on and on and on and on about it. And instead looked at a pragmatic approach which would have suppressed the virus while at the same time acknowledging that elimination is literally impossible. But, no, they have not shifted from their elimination strategy. If they’d been more pragmatic then they might have got somewhere

So it's the fault of those that advocated a certain approach that we didn't pursue the approach they advocated for?

• Advertisement

Kimbot wrote: »
    So your neighbour is going on a little holiday?

A two week break, him and his partner. They do it every year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A two week break, him and his partner. They do it every year.

Regardless of doing it every year, its not essential.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Regardless of doing it every year, its not essential.

I’m not going to be a little Hitler and telling them what they can and can’t do.

A two-week break, him and his partner. They do it every year.

Report it to the authorities at once.

It should not go ahead under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

I don't think anyone thinks that - outside of the fact that there is no implementation plan and no tangible way to address the border and the way to import good to ireland - there is also no tangible exit strategy for zero covid - and with vaccines around the corner thats not something that is palatable to a lot of people...

I'd favour a quasi zero covid strategy of enforced quarantine until May / make cross-border travel as difficult/awkard as possible - but lay out specific timing/ conditions for easing of this.

The problem with full NZ/Aus strategy is they've said borders will remain closed for all of 2021 and potentially well into 2022.

I’m not going to be a little Hitler and telling them what they can and can’t do.

Well they should be playing their part in this not being part of the problem!

Report it to the authorities at once.

It should not go ahead under any circumstances.

I’ll make a note of it in my diary.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

So it's the fault of those that advocated a certain approach that we didn't pursue the approach they advocated for?

if you want something implemented you need to provide a full implementation roadmap... otherwise you're just another hurler on the ditch

if you want something implemented you need to provide a full implementation roadmap... otherwise you're just another hurler on the ditch

A roadmap you say?

https://www.pbp.ie/zero-covid-strategy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I’ll make a note of it in my diary.

Are they going for a week or 2 weeks, you are contradicting yourself.

Anyway, i think its wrong to stop people going away if they stick to the quarantine/testing rules when they get back.
    If its enforced properly, its doable.

After all any other nationality can enter this country atm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement