Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Wolf359f wrote: »
    In no small part to people like yourself!
    I can still remember people screaming about lack of testing and it's going to be a disaster and we'll never be able to scale up etc...
    It's certainly been very quiet on that front and anyone needing a test can get one.

Let's hope the vaccine rollout will follow the same trend, just much faster!

eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

An interesting case study would be the pandemic of the 1890s. Which now appears to have been a Coronavirus pandemic.
    It ran for 5 years, coming and going in waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889%E2%80%931890_pandemic

I find it interesting that in the US, cases seem to be dropping across all states despite different levels of restrictions at the moment.

The 1890's wouldn't be known for its jetting setting ways, trips to Lanzarote, etc. It still found a way to spread via ships, rail, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Cerveza wrote: »
    Don’t need to, he is reading this thread as a guest. Got a WhatsApp there from him and he is bursting his hole laughing :pac:

Tell your "friend" to register here on boards and post about it himself provided he exists outside of your head of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-dublin-airport-passengers-holidays-january-2021-5337563-Jan2021/?amp=1

Selfish tw*ts.
    I tell you life seems to be about doing what you want. Cause everyone else seems to be doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

An interesting case study would be the pandemic of the 1890s. Which now appears to have been a Coronavirus pandemic.

I find it interesting that in the US, cases seem to be dropping across all states despite different levels of restrictions at the moment.

The 1890's wouldn't be known for its jetting setting ways, trips to Lanzarote, etc. It still found a way to spread via ships, rail, etc.

Yes but with seemingly no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Oh dear i see some posters actually think zero covid means zero cases. After a year of this you'd imagine a little bit of reading and research would go a long way :o

Actually that is exactly what is the approach in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

eh...

Oh sorry are there still people waiting days for an appointment for a test?
    I just haven't heard RTE mention that and they are great at picking up any doom and gloom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So interesting, thank you!

I had heard vaguely about that pandemic, but never knew it was from a coronavirus.

1 in 1,500 people dead, globally. My god :( Similar to this pandemic, should it be left do its thing.

• Advertisement

Actually that is exactly what is the approach in NZ.

Complete supression of community spread (locked down north island for 6 cases at 1 stage) and mandatory quarantine for all incoming passengers,native or not

Basically commonsense,not thinking we can live with a community spread of a highly transmissible virus....a ease of restrictions here for xmas has resulted in near on 1000 dead.....why are we trying to repeat same mistake again??

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Wolf359f wrote: »
    In no small part to people like yourself!
    I can still remember people screaming about lack of testing and it's going to be a disaster and we'll never be able to scale up etc...
    It's certainly been very quiet on that front and anyone needing a test can get one.

Let's hope the vaccine rollout will follow the same trend, just much faster!

I'm sure it will. People expect miracles when you're implementing something from a standing start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The headline says "experts warn new case numbers fail to reflect true level of infection". There is no reference to any expert saying this in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

GP referral data for yesterday is out. An increase from yesterday's good numbers, but nothing of concern.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-28_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

If cases are reducing and household cases are increasing (which I'm sure was always high but no test and tracing to pick them up) does that mean hospital and nursing home cases are reducing?
    I'd rather it's confined to households tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What's people's experience of mask wearing in shops?

Just out from a big one and seen about 15 people wearing no masks in my 10 minute visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The headline says "experts warn new case numbers fail to reflect true level of infection". There is no reference to any expert saying this in the article.

Sucha a rag of a newspaper, stopped buying it many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Just out from a big one and seen about 15 people wearing no masks in my 10 minute visit.

Seems to be a regional thing. I see 100% compliance in my local shop, but i know from other areas it's not that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So interesting, thank you!

I had heard vaguely about that pandemic, but never knew it was from a coronavirus.

1 in 1,500 people dead, globally. My god :( Similar to this pandemic, should it be left do its thing.

I was fascinated by this too. It seems to have spread incredibly quickly too. Tempting then to say you should just leave Covid 19 rip but looking at the deaths versus our recent Christmas experience, the 1889 pandemic must have been a lot less lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Seems to be a regional thing. I see 100% compliance in my local shop, but i know from other areas it's not that case.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

We're never getting out of this came into my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sconsey wrote: »
    Sucha a rag of a newspaper, stopped buying it many years ago.

To be fair, any expert not saying that, isn't an expert.....
    (Not disputing the quality of the paper etc)

That said, it is a good thing in many ways that so many people don't know they have it, but a bad thing in that, if they are not being generally responsible they are most likely spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

RTE had a main headline on rte.ie last week saying the EU were "gravely" concerned about the new variants. The article then had no quotes from anybody, at all, and the word gravely wasn't used in the article itself (instead the article simply noted that evidence was still needed as to whether current vaccines cover the SA and Brazilian variants). I think this kind of terrorising of readers is outrageous. Covid 19 is worrying enough without clickbait merchants trying to make things seem even worse....

dungarvan,you wouldnt even see people on empthy streets without a mask.....could be reason it and west waterford are usually among lowest regions in country

I was helping an elderly relative testing cattle recently and everyone there was wearing masks,despite noone being with 20 feet of one and other

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

From what I have seen there is 90% plus compliance. Should be 100% of course but that`s not the way it is in reality even with the rules that are in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

From what I have seen there is 90% plus compliance. Should be 100% of course but that`s not the way it is in reality even with the rules that are in place.

Hmmm... rules.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-coverings-masks-and-covid-19/when-to-wear.html#not-wear

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I rarely if ever see anyone without a mask in shops .I saw one last week and he was actually an exception .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where? Havn't seen anybody without masks in shops in a long long time, I live in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I think that they have probably realised what a sh1tshow it was a couple of nights ago, and how the public interpreted what they all said. They’ve realised that they need to play nice cop for a while

Do you think they dont know people are fed up? I'm sure the mood is monitored all the time not just after an announcement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Tell your "friend" to register here on boards and post about it himself provided he exists outside of your head of course. :rolleyes:

Another jealous poster I see. If you want to travel just travel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement