Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What's people's experience of mask wearing in shops?

Just out from a big one and seen about 15 people wearing no masks in my 10 minute visit.

Seriously? Where? Every time I read stuff like this I'm baffled, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in a shop without a mask.

Not to accuse you of lying but 15 people just seems a bit far fetched...I don't think I've seen 15 people not wearing masks in shops total since last summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

AdamD wrote: »
    Seriously? Where? Every time I read stuff like this I'm baffled, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in a shop without a mask.

Not to accuse you of lying but 15 people just seems a bit far fetched...I don't think I've seen 15 people not wearing masks in shops total since last summer

Probably all arrived directly from the airport and left their masks on the bus, just a guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

AdamD wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in a shop without a mask.

Same in my part of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

have recently not seen anyone without a mask in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Saw someone without one in a chipper a few weeks back. Scary individual so people were naturally keeping their distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Cerveza wrote: »
    Another jealous poster I see. If you want to travel just travel.

Jealous of who or what exactly? Of an imaginary couple of people allegedly travelling to one of the most Covid infected countries in all of Europe at present? Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Testing of close contacts will resume from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Akabusi

There was a woman ahead of me in a que without one last week, when she got to the till she apologised to the shop assistant about forgetting her mask, shop assistant very understanding about it, a negative though was that whilst in the que she walked past the boxes of masks on sale.
    That was the first time I had seen someone without one in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I'm surprised by the people who are surprised at posters reporting seeing people without masks in shops.

I see people without masks every single time I go to the shop. Additionally I work in a retail environment and a good 15% of customers don't wear masks. Maybe it's down to location? I work in a fairly run down, poor area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

wakka12 wrote: »
    Where? Havn't seen anybody without masks in shops in a long long time, I live in South Dublin

Same here in a Dublin suburb. Really good compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.independent.ie/news/government-plans-500-fines-for-people-who-breach-travel-restrictions-with-non-essential-trips-abroad-40020235.html
    Half of all passengers arriving into Ireland on one day this week were returning from holiday destinations, Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said.

Speaking to the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party, the Taoiseach said 800 people travelled into the country on Tuesday and 397 of them were returning from holidays.

Mr Martin also noted that 542 of the travellers recorded were Irish citizens.

The Government is planning a new €500 fine for people who breach travel restrictions by making non-essential journeys abroad.

If those people were on holidays in Spain and Portugal, why didn't those countries' governments ban them from entering in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We just passed the milestone of 3 million tests completed for Covid19, a full year since testing began.

February 2020: testing began
    (7 and a half months later)
    16th September 2020: 1 million tests completed
    (3 months later)
    29th November 2020: 2 million tests completed
    (2 months later)
    28th January 2021: 3 million tests completed

A monumental feat.
    A million tests in 61 days is ~16,000 tests per day, on average.

If that sounds like a small number of tests, consider that on the first of October we did 14,000 tests, and that was a record breaker. We'd never done that many tests in a day. Now we're doing 15% more than that, every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    I'm surprised by the people who are surprised at posters reporting seeing people without masks in shops.

I see people without masks every single time I go to the shop. Additionally I work in a retail environment and a good 15% of customers don't wear masks. Maybe it's down to location? I work in a fairly run down, poor area

Im only out once a week to Tesco and then once or twice a week to the local shop and butcher. I've never seen someone without a mask since the first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

https://www.independent.ie/news/government-plans-500-fines-for-people-who-breach-travel-restrictions-with-non-essential-trips-abroad-40020235.html

If those people were on holidays in Spain and Portugal, why didn't those countries' governments ban them from entering in the first place?

Hard to believe only 800 arrived. I mean people have been posting arrival boards filled with planes arriving!
    But still, anyone going on holidays this far into a pandemic is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

What's people's experience of mask wearing in shops?

Just out from a big one and seen about 15 people wearing no masks in my 10 minute visit.

That sounds mad.

That is not my experience at all. I live in a rural area so have to travel for a supermarket and there are three different towns that would be a similar distance to travel to. Rarely do I see anyone with no mask on at all in any of those towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Cases going to sky rocket with testing of close contacts set to resume from tomorrow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Renault 5 wrote: »
    Cases going to sky rocket with testing of close contacts set to resume from tomorrow.

Doubt it....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cases will increase, but more importantly there won't be any change to hospitalisations, ICU numbers or deaths.
    Over the medium term it will actually slightly reduce those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Numbers will go up for sure but I don’t know about sky-rocket. Typically when we test close contacts what is the average percentage that actually come back positive. Did I see someone say before that is 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Probably 15-20% increase in cases.

Hopefully it improves compliance with instructions to isolate and reduces cases in the medium term.

https://youtu.be/wu1UXCdyNo0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Leo talking about a Level 4. I thought that level never really existed ;) Leo seems to be on speed lately.
    I am sure it will be a hoot.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We're still not testing close contacts :eek: (that surprised face is a little overdone, nothing really surprises me anymore)

I have been ignoring the news lately but I thought we'd be back to close contact testing long before now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Leo talking about a Level 4. I thought that level never really existed ;) Leo seems to be on speed lately.

Enhanced level 3, level 5 lite. I don't believe 4 exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Akabusi

We're still not testing close contacts :eek: (that surprised face is a little overdone, nothing really surprises me anymore)

I have been ignoring the news lately but I thought we'd be back to close contact testing long before now.

Leo would be better off keeping his mouth shut for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Allinall

Wet pubs open in level 4.

Bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was down to the sheer numbers of positives and the positivity rate. It was unsustainable at the high levels we had.

Enhanced level 3, level 5 lite. I don't believe 4 exists.

Meaningful takeaway pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

ELM327 wrote: »
    Im only out once a week to Tesco and then once or twice a week to the local shop and butcher. I've never seen someone without a mask since the first lockdown.

same, said it before, havent seen anyone in the shops without a mask since i was up North

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement