Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Akabusi wrote: »
    Leo would be better off keeping his mouth shut for a few weeks.

More chance of Arlene Foster singing 'Come out ye Black and Tans'.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Meaningful takeaway pints.

Never saw the attraction tbh, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

We're still not testing close contacts :eek: (that surprised face is a little overdone, nothing really surprises me anymore)

I have been ignoring the news lately but I thought we'd be back to close contact testing long before now.

The decision was made that they needed to be sustained under 1500 to resume close contact testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ELM327 wrote: »
    Im only out once a week to Tesco and then once or twice a week to the local shop and butcher. I've never seen someone without a mask since the first lockdown.

Tesco will have someone on the door saying put on a mask.

Certain Lidl and Aldi shops don't and (according to the supermarket thread) there is mass non wearing of masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably 15-20% increase in cases.

Hopefully it improves compliance with instructions to isolate and reduces cases in the medium term.
    15-20% would be pessimistic IMO. Symptomatic close contacts are already being tested, so the only "addition" to the swabs will be those who are asymptomatic. If we're lucky we may see no material change in the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Tesco will have someone on the door saying put on a mask.

Certain Lidl and Aldi shops don't and (according to the supermarket thread) there is mass non wearing of masks.

People have generally been very good in the last few months. After initially a percentage of people having no cop on at work everyone is wearing them properly now.

One notable exception was a fella in the doctors who was wearing it as a chinwarmer. Then he came out of the consultation not wearing one at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

More positive swabs than i was hoping for

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Allinall wrote: »
    Wet pubs open in level 4.

Bring it on :D

Snowflake`s chance in hell and all that. Not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fairly inline with expections, again down on previous Thursdays.

See how it goes over the next few days as usual

seamus wrote: »
    15-20% would be pessimistic IMO. Symptomatic close contacts are already being tested, so the only "addition" to the swabs will be those who are asymptomatic. If we're lucky we may see no material change in the numbers.

A lot of asymptomatic close contacts are being tested too. Pre-existing conditions certainly, but also know that many people are just inventing symptoms to get tested

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Snowflake`s chance in hell and all that. Not going to happen.
    Level 4 is outdoor drinking and dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was expecting 6-7%, so it's only slightly above that.

My stupid projections don't like it, they think it's plateaued. But they did this before, two weeks ago. So I'm not overly concerned.

None of the other indicators support any kind of plateau. All data still supporting a 7-day test average of 6-7% come 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A lot of asymptomatic close contacts are being tested too. Pre-existing conditions certainly, but also know that many people are just inventing symptoms to get tested

Can only speak for my own GP but if you were a close contact just ring up and they'll send you on for a test, symptoms or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

is_that_so wrote: »
    Level 4 is outdoor drinking and dining.

Yeah but Leo was talking about Level 4 + 1

Seems level 4 + 1 is no outdoor dining Under the Living with Covid plan, Level 4 would allow gatherings of up to 15 people outdoors and outdoor dining limited to a maximum of 15 patrons.

They're not going to allow that for a few months after March

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Allinall wrote: »
    Wet pubs open in level 4.

Bring it on :D

Outdoor only and a max of 15. Most pubs wouldn't pay to operate that way - even if they include it in level 4

Not good

Not bad

Would like to see lower numbers though

Can only speak for my own GP but if you were a close contact just ring up and they'll send you on for a test, symptoms or not.

Same with mine

Lot also mentioned having a sniffle just to get a test

NPHET concerns over maintaining level of virus suppression

NPHET has told the Government that it will become increasingly difficult to maintain the level of suppression of Covid-19 that has been achieved since the New Year.

In its letter to Stephen Donnelly on 21 January, NPHET said the country remains in a very vulnerable position despite great progress in recent weeks.

It warned that "we will all find it challenging to maintain the very low levels of social contact and adherence to social distancing and hygiene measures required to maintain suppression".

The letter said it is likely that the effective reproduction number will drift upwards in the coming weeks.

It also forecast that the variant will become increasingly dominant over the next 3-6 weeks and this will drive up the reproduction number.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0128/1193658-nphet-letter/

That's part of the reason why lockdowns are meant to be short term not months and months

Very hard to maintain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know if driving 4 hours to sign bank documents is considered an ok reason to travel?

Need to sign some at the old bank, after moving to Kerry, and slightly worried the cops will stop me. Has to be done in the next few days.

That should be OK afaik but maybe check with your local Garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone know if driving 4 hours to sign bank documents is considered an ok reason to travel?

Need to sign some at the old bank, after moving to Kerry, and slightly worried the cops will stop me. Has to be done in the next few days.
    I'd say yes. It's such a random reason it doesn't sound made up. Is there a notification you can get from the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Get a letter from your solicitor or the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

I don't think it would be a problem, but if you haven't already you could probably ask the bank if you can do it remotely in any way by printing and scanning or whatever, I'd say it's their responsibility to give their customers options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not good

Not bad

Would like to see lower numbers though

Compared to previous Thursdays one can see the progress made.

21/1 - 11.8%
    14/1 - 16%
    7/1 - 22.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Does anyone know if you can form a support bubble with someone in another county? Am thinking of elder parents.

Just tell the Guards the reason they are human, well most are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can the documents be couriered or do they have to be witnessed?

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can form a support bubble with someone in another county? Am thinking of elder parents.

Essential care to elderly family member.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement