Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gifted wrote: »
    Eh....have you seen the crowd behind the "kids"......more people on that pitch than probably arrived in dublin airport today
    A kid dies, people mourn him outside and they go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

How’s the worrymeter going this evening from the sainted cmo
    optimistic they all are today. George Lee as ever trying to make them think different..

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

UrbanFret wrote: »
    baloons should never be released into the sky .Deadly to wildlife. starvation as they cannot digest.
    Do you think they care tbh.

I'd imagine they're in shock and functioning at a very base level right now. I don't think the pigeons are high on their list of priorities. They've thrown caution to the wayside even with regard to their own health.

A cousin of mine at a funeral I did manage to attend in Nov did try and give me a hug and when I jumped about six feet away instantly they said "We don't have to think about that today", I told them go away and feck off with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭appledrop

pc7 wrote: »
    On the news there are many more than that photo, there were plenty of adults all hugging and no masks. Those teenagers go home and it spreads. Ballymun has one of the worst case levels in Dublin.

Irish independent have a short video on website 200 if not 300 people definitely there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Numbers aren't dropping as fast as I'd hoped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    But they stood in a field all bundled on top of each other
    Outside. I don't feel a need to imagine a new surge will come from this one event. Most people, as the CMO says ....

Everyone is focussed on travel while the real scandal is that 2/3 of deaths are in residential care homes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How’s the worrymeter going this evening from the sainted cmo

He just spent a few minutes there talking George Lee down from the ledge there.

At least you've the good grace to admit it.

I take a pessimistic outlook and I won't say I've never been disappointed but I've seldom been wrong and there is pyrrhic consolation in that folly.

Spring is nearly here and the weather might get a bit better soon, onwards and hopefully downwards with the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Dunno what you were expecting.

They are going down faster than NHPET predicted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I fully appreciate people are emotional and have emotional needs and need to support each-other, but given the risks at the moment that has to happen within the context of safety for the same community that is trying to mourn.

It's a horrible situation as the virus is making use of a very human need to be social and it's going against every grain of our being to avoid social gatherings, but there's very little else we can do until the technical solutions, mostly the vaccines, really get widely rolled out.

If we keep making exceptions and having mass gatherings because of emotional responses to things, we are going to keep having outbreaks. There is just no way around that and it's horrible and upsetting that it's the situation we find ourselves in, but that is our reality and there isn't really any way of avoiding it.

No healthcare system has the bandwidth and the capacity to deal with these huge outbreaks. It isn't really a political argument or an emotional one. It's just the harsh and extremely unpleasant realities of a pandemic with relatively limited tools at our disposal to bring it under control at this stage.

Ronan Glynn just basically said there the definition they have for a close contact does not constitute the level of risk people should be taking.

Like, I take that to mean just because they demand 2m indoors for 15 minutes, doesn't mean that it's safe to not meet those criteria but still meet the person who tests positive.

But that means their testing criteria is wrong. That's thick like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Arghus wrote: »

Shouldn't have bothered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Eod100 wrote: »

It is and it isn't. It's not good that there could be such a discrepancy in just a few days and that the dread-filled announcements that we got the other day were based on the first projection. It's really not good enough. MM should make a new announcement based on the new projections, but we all know that he won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

They're dropping remarkably fast. I haven't seen a similarly steep increase and drop anywhere else.

So, I think in general we seem to have responded very well to this. There will always be some exceptions, but the overall impact of the last few weeks has been to bring the infection levels down extremely rapidly.

I think the majority of the general public have reacted to this by moving to bring it back into control quite quickly. The Christmas spike was a tragic and very painful wake up call to most of the population from what I can see of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

polesheep wrote: »
    It is and it isn't. It's not good that there could be such a discrepancy in just a few days and that the dread-filled announcements that we got the other day were based on the first projection. It's really not good enough. MM should make a new announcement based on the new projections, but we all know that he won't.

Lol

Hell will freeze over before that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Dr Holohan is waffling a lot with his answers today or is it just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

He always waffles a good bit

I fully appreciate people are emotional and have emotional needs and need to support each-other, but given the risks at the moment that has to happen within the context of safety for the same community that is trying to mourn.

It's a horrible situation as the virus is making use of a very human need to be social and it's going against every grain of our being to avoid social gatherings, but there's very little else we can do until the technical solutions, mostly the vaccines, really get widely rolled out.

If we keep making exceptions and having mass gatherings because of emotional responses to things, we are going to keep having outbreaks. There is just no way around that and it's horrible and upsetting that it's the situation we find ourselves in, but that is our reality and there isn't really any way of avoiding it.

No healthcare system has the bandwidth and the capacity to deal with these huge outbreaks. It isn't really a political argument or an emotional one. It's just the harsh and extremely unpleasant realities of a pandemic with relatively limited tools at our disposal to bring it under control at this stage.

They are people, not automatons.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Everyone is focussed on travel while the real scandal is that 2/3 of deaths are in residential care homes

This x 100 how has this been allowed happen again. We have criticised other countries for failing their old people in homes etc but here we are doing exactly the same thing again.

If nursing homes were protected better we would not have these large number of deaths. Christmas is responsible for the spread ok but how is it getting into the nursing homes on such a large scale again ? We are in lockdown people aren’t allowed visit and haven’t been for months.

But it’s easier to blame the public but I think the HSE has a lot to answer for in that department

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pretty sure Philip Nolan said a couple of weeks ago that if the R-number was at the lower end of the forecast (I think it was 0.5 at the time) that there would be 800 cases by the end of January.

It wasn't expected to be at the absolute lowest ebb because that would imply that every single person is following the guidelines (which they're not), but that's why people here shouldn't be too quick to sneer at Nolan. His forecasts are generally bang on even with the caveats.

We're roughly where he said we would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »
    Outside. I don't feel a need to imagine a new surge will come from this one event. Most people, as the CMO says ....

Grand so , should we all go and huddle in a bundle on a field then ?
    We both know that it was a daft thing to do in an area with a huge amount of infection

A Google search would have brought up the response to those three almost identical education questions just asked by that journalist. What a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,085 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Arghus wrote: »

The one thing I’ve stopped doing is listening to George lee and it does help. I don’t watch the briefings anymore because I’m trying to limit stuff that will depress the head off me. I’m able to find the numbers if I need them but I’ve by and large stopped watching and listening to Irish media because it’s all doom and gloom. Maybe there has been some positive bits but I haven’t seen them. George lee is the worst offender in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Dr Holohan is waffling a lot with his answers today or is it just me...

He always does that. It's why I said the other day I preferred Ronan Glynn when it comes to answering questions. He just gives it straight even if its in a nice way.

That and my respect for Glynn has gone up big time since he was saying back in July when we had f*ck all cases that this would happen if people let their guard down.

He was bang on the money, but you won't hear him use that 'I told you so' tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

How are the numbers still this high is compliance is good? Personally haven’t seen anyone since Christmas. Been to the shop and that’s it. Find it odd.

This x 100 how has this been allowed happen again. We have criticised other countries for failing their old people in homes etc but here we are doing exactly the same thing again.

If nursing homes were protected better we would not have these large number of deaths. Christmas is responsible for the spread ok but how is it getting into the nursing homes on such a large scale again ? We are in lockdown people aren’t allowed visit and haven’t been for months.

But it’s easier to blame the public but I think the HSE has a lot to answer for in that department

I was very vocal about this last year, but the fact of the matter is that some of those in nursing homes are the weakest of the weak and the virus finds the weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Ronan Glynn just basically said there the definition they have for a close contact does not constitute the level of risk people should be taking.

Like, I take that to mean just because they demand 2m indoors for 15 minutes, doesn't mean that it's safe to not meet those criteria but still meet the person who tests positive.

But that means their testing criteria is wrong. That's thick like.

Of course its wrong. It's a testing criteria designed based on what resources they have.

They should be flexing the definition of close contact and when cases are below 150 they should be tracking a lot more contacts.

In Australia they have opened up but if you are in a shop within an hour of a case you are probably a close contact. It's easy when you have so few cases.

Surely it is not the place of the National Public Health Emergency Team to delve into the political situation as it is as a barrier to zero covid. Surely the job of the National Public Health Emergency Team is to look at the pros and cons of the strategy. He's actually in the same breath saying it would be a great thing and we should aim for it.

It would be the responsibility of the government to make it work.

This is why people hate Tony Holohan. He's a shill and an arselicker. He panders to government. What the hell is he getting out of this.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Grand so , should we all go and huddle in a bundle on a field then ?
    We both know that it was a daft thing to do in an area with a huge amount of infection

If you have as good a reason to to so I certainly won't complain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement