Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    How are the numbers still this high is compliance is good? Personally haven’t seen anyone since Christmas. Been to the shop and that’s it. Find it odd.

We are exactly where it was forecast we would be.

What do you expect? Listen to Philip Nolan's forecasts. He said minimum of around 800 by the end of January and now 200-400 by the end of February.

All of these cases we're hearing about today could have been seeded from as long as two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

polesheep wrote: »
    If you have as good a reason to to so I certainly won't complain.

I have covid and I'm depressed, I need a breath of fresh air and a chat, maybe a game of ball with the lads to get the spirits up and remind me what life is about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How are the numbers still this high is compliance is good? Personally haven’t seen anyone since Christmas. Been to the shop and that’s it. Find it odd.

M50 packed today.

Cara all over the roads.

Nothing like March last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Your compliance is excellent, therefore your numbers are excellent. Others aren't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Surely it is not the place of the National Public Health Emergency Team to delve into the political situation as it is as a barrier to zero covid. Surely the job of the National Public Health Emergency Team is to look at the pros and cons of the strategy. He's actually in the same breath saying it would be a great thing and we should aim for it.

It would be the responsibility of the government to make it work.

This is why people hate Tony Holohan. He's a shill and an arselicker. He panders to government. What the hell is he getting out of this.

Source? As for what he is getting out of it....... A pension and a privileged position in retirement. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭appledrop

Irish Times reporting that a crowd of at least 800 gathered for that event today in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

I was very vocal about this last year, but the fact of the matter is that some of those in nursing homes are the weakest of the weak and the virus finds the weak.

I get that and agree but then you have to try and strengthen the weak link or except that you can’t. But what you shouldn’t do is use it as a reason to tell people they need to do better when the majority are really trying and following the rules. It leads to demoralised people which will lead to less compliance.

I have covid and I'm depressed, I need a breath of fresh air and a chat, maybe a game of ball with the lads to get the spirits up and remind me what life is about. :rolleyes:

That's not a good reason.

appledrop wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting that a crowd of at least 800 gathered for that event today in Ballymun.

That's a tough one alright. Very sad situation. Impossible situation really. Lose Lose if anyone says anything about it.

M50 packed today.

Cara all over the roads.

Nothing like March last year.

And still the numbers are dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, it's been a while since we had a new group to blame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Source? As for what he is getting out of it....... A pension and a privileged position in retirement. :pac:

And hoping that the other issue that we’re not allowed talk about that he showed very little interest in and doesn’t want it investigated will all be forgotten about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

They are people, not automatons.

Nobody's arguing that they are automatons.

In fact, in my post I was trying to explain the rather horrendous situation that we find ourselves in where we have a need to prevent a virus spreading and emotional and social need and those two are in conflict.

The virus is just a simple parasite that just sees us as raw material and habitat. There is no politics or emotion to it. If you bring people together it will hop host to host. You have to take steps to prevent that happening.

We have the insight and intelligence to understand what the virus is and how it operates. That's what defines us as humans rather than automatons. We need to use that great evolutionary gift of being able to understand what is going on and explain it to our whole population or we are going to keep walking into this again and again.

Until we get the vaccine rollout to a scale and the risks reduced, this is just the reality of what we are stuck with.

The situation is horrible, hurtful and contrary to what is our most basic instinct - to come together in a crisis, but that's where we are.

If we can't get our heads around that at this stage, I really don't know what to make of it.

Did you go for a walk today? If so, was it absolutely necessary? Too many pitchforks in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Soon to be testing close contacts again. I wonder by how much will that increase daily cases.

is_that_so wrote: »

Yeah last week it was the government. Next week it'll probably be social media users......I personally blame everyone including myself. May aswell cover all the bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Surely it is not the place of the National Public Health Emergency Team to delve into the political situation as it is as a barrier to zero covid. Surely the job of the National Public Health Emergency Team is to look at the pros and cons of the strategy. He's actually in the same breath saying it would be a great thing and we should aim for it.

It would be the responsibility of the government to make it work.

This is why people hate Tony Holohan. He's a shill and an arselicker. He panders to government. What the hell is he getting out of this.

I actually agreed with his strategy re zero Covid. It’s an idealism not rooted in our reality as an island that’s part of the British Isles, EU and shares a land border with the U.K.
    His point was interesting that the population would be very vulnerable to a ‘breach’ with Covid easily getting in, in a zero Covid strategy - and that people are using it as means to go back to normal - which wouldn’t actually happen at all in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Six o’clock news on Rte confirmed we are a back door to UK from Portugal. One couple even said they would isolate- once in the UK ..... in the meantime though they are catching a ferry in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And still the numbers are dropping.

Yeah true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Did you go for a walk today? If so, was it absolutely necessary? Too many pitchforks in this country
    Too many vectors, you mean.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Six o’clock news on Rte confirmed we are a back door to UK from Portugal. One couple even said they would isolate- once in the UK ..... in the meantime though they are catching a ferry in the morning.

Yeah UK is banning lots of places now but allowing citizens through including Irish citizens. In fairness we should be banned too. They still think we are part of the same country. (joke)

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1354836635716870148?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

is_that_so wrote: »

Nobody is blaming them for anything but quite simply saying that it was not the right thing to do in a area of high infection in the middle of a lockdown . Are we not allowed be annoyed when we cannot even attend a loved ones funeral ?
    A dear friends mother died lately and we couldn’t attend but people stood respectfully along the street while maintaining a good 2 metre distance
    The effort was made at least

joeysoap wrote: »

All that will happen is if we have a more lax regime than the UK is implementing, we will end up with a situation where the CTA freedom of movement is suspended.

The government would want to weigh that up rather seriously as we don't have the luxury of being able to unbolt ourselves from the UK while there is an open border and from their point of view, they'll just close the door if we're a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah UK is banning lots of places now but allowing citizens through including Irish citizens. In fairness we should be banned too. They still think we are part of the same country.

Its to do with common travel area. Also Ireland may not have direct flights to countries that UK do so if they shut door to Irish could be stuck in places if they needed to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Faugheen wrote: »
    A very popular 16-year-old child was murdered.

It's a very emotionally charged situation. I understand people will look at it with concern but I personally would refrain from being judgmental on this.

This coming from someone who has lost a family member to COVID-19 too. All I can hope for is that nobody gets sick.

I hope so too . I fully understand the awful upset and the trauma suffered by the young people . Just a shame they didn’t at least wear masks and tried to spread out a bit

Eod100 wrote: »
    Its to do with common travel area. Also Ireland may not have direct flights to countries that UK do so if they shut door to Irish could be stuck in places if they needed to come back.

We are going to have to coordinate with the UK on this if the CTA is open. It makes absolutely no sense not to and it looks like they're finally waking up to being more proactive about it.

We aren't in Schengen and we have a completely independent visa (from either the UK or Schengen) visa regime. So it should be entirely possible to coordinate easily.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can form a support bubble with someone in another county? Am thinking of elder parents.

Do that with my mother. But have yet to be stopped.

I think it’s a just do it. Have a rationale if asked as to why the support bubble for your parents can’t but with someone local to them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This x 100 how has this been allowed happen again. We have criticised other countries for failing their old people in homes etc but here we are doing exactly the same thing again.

If nursing homes were protected better we would not have these large number of deaths. Christmas is responsible for the spread ok but how is it getting into the nursing homes on such a large scale again ? We are in lockdown people aren’t allowed visit and haven’t been for months.

But it’s easier to blame the public but I think the HSE has a lot to answer for in that department

Staff contracting the virus and infecting residents while presymptomatic/asymptomatic. AFAIK no country has able to prevent this happening on a significant scale when the virus is widespread in the community...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

They still think we are part of the same country. (joke)

Partly due to the (UK) 1949 Ireland Act, which basically deems Irish (ROI) citizens not to be seen, in the eyes of UK law, as 'foreign' citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yeah UK is banning lots of places now but allowing citizens through including Irish citizens. In fairness we should be banned too. They still think we are part of the same country. (joke)

One part of the UK’s citizens have the right to hold an Irish passport instead of UK one and be normal residents of the UK, hence the need to include Irish citizens to enter their country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement