Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jr1942 wrote: »
    I am wondering how would people who are supporting all the measures and restrictions to prevent a health crisis behave and which way would they turn their head if they themselves were banned from work and put on covid subsidy etc.

I am all up for measures, but under 1 condition, whoever was forced out of job, lets have a look how much money did they earn in 2019, pay them that for 2020.

Until a system which can do that isn't figured out, no measures should be there apart from wash your hands and wear a mask on private premises if the owner dictates so ie. store entrance and similar.

Most employment sectors would have seen a large dip in income because of the pandemic whether there were restrictions or not, most of all the ones who happen to be on PUP the most this year, so paying the same as 2019 should not ever have been expected in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Mimon wrote: »
    People have generally been very good in the last few months. After initially a percentage of people having no cop on at work everyone is wearing them properly now.

One notable exception was a fella in the doctors who was wearing it as a chinwarmer. Then he came out of the consultation not wearing one at all!

He got his antibody test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    It wasn't interesting, it was a complete regurgitation of what Leo said throughout the last week, indicating a fundamental misunderstanding of the objectives of the zero covid strategy.

The point isn't to eliminate it on the island altogether, it's to get it to such a low number that it's easy to track and trace the cases and find the source of infection coming in.

It's not made more difficult by the UK connection. We just would have to make sure that people travelling across the border from the airports in NI are adequately monitored.

I respectfully disagree completely with what you’re saying. I think promising zero Covid and pretending to the Irish people we’d be ‘back to normal’ in our own little TÍr na nÓg is misleading a weary public who are sick to the teeth of this current set up.
    Zero Covid cannot be achieved here, and to pretend otherwise is a fantasy. The professors advocating for it when actually pushed on what it actually means here in practice fall over multiple hurdles and resort to such crap as ‘Treat every Covid case like a murder’ which is what I saw Tomás Ryan state on the Claire Byrne Show.
    How Mr Ryan is still given air time despite making a number of false claims on Prime Time and other shows previously is beyond me.
    We’re not going to agree on this so I’ll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jr1942

wakka12 wrote: »
    Most employment sectors would have seen a large dip in income because of the pandemic whether there were restrictions or not, most of all the ones who happen to be on PUP the most this year, so paying the same as 2019 should not ever have been expected in most cases.
    I am not following you here.
    90% dip?
    All I am saying is, if the general public believes that banning certain people from working is going to ensure they will get proper medical care if they contract the virus they should then be more than ready to compensate these people?
    My question is would they really be if it was the opening condition of a statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I respectfully disagree completely with what you’re saying. I think promising zero Covid and pretending to the Irish people we’d be ‘back to normal’ in our own little TÍr na nÓg is misleading a weary public who are sick to the teeth of this current set up.
    Zero Covid cannot be achieved here, and to pretend otherwise is a fantasy. The professors advocating for it when actually pushed on what it actually means here in practice fall over multiple hurdles and resort to such crap as ‘Treat every Covid case like a murder’ which is what I saw Tomás Ryan state on the Claire Byrne Show.
    How Mr Ryan is still given air time despite making a number of false claims on Prime Time and other shoes previously is beyond me.

I kinda agree with you on the "treat it like a murder" comment. It's really not that complicated. It's 600 years+ old idea. Hardly new or radical. It is also the only proven thing to work.

• Advertisement

How Mr Ryan is still given air time despite making a number of false claims on Prime Time and other shoes previously is beyond me.

Professor Nolan is clear about this also.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354868661237010435?s=21

Will George Lee turn on his buddies now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Has there been much of an impact on the delivery of standard surgical procedures to the extent that anyone has taken a legal action yet?

I'd imagine that this is a huge storm coming down the line that gthe HSE is in no way prepared to fight.

The opposite I'd say

The HSE/Government will throw everything at any legal action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Malcomex wrote: »
    The opposite I'd say

The HSE/Government will throw everything at any legal action

As many women suffering from misread smears can confirm.

I sent an email last night to Professor Nolan and it appears to have made an impact.

Here is exactly what I sent:
    Hi Professor Nolan,

Can I just please encourage you not to spend 20-25 minutes droning on about the minutiae of the week's COVID-19 data. During your part of the presentation, we only want the hardcore facts - which can be listed in fewer than 5-minutes.

All other data can be made available online.

You are holding up the briefings with these needlessly long and endlessly boring half-length lectures about the data.

But at briefings, you should BRIEFLY present the relevant major details. Journalists can ask you specific questions if they wish.

Furthermore, please speak about the issues with some additional energy or charisma.

Thank you,

He didn't produce the energy, but at least his initial briefing was much shorter than normal.

So it appears my email may have had some positive impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The problem I have with what NPHET said tonight is that they're understandably comparing zero covid with their preferred approach, but the government only go along with NPHET's approach after they've messed up.

So it's not really suppression v zero covid.
    It's affectively stay at home vs zero covid.

Looks like most of you prefer that anyway. Let's see how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

541276.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Influenza surveillance report with data up to January 24th published. No influenza detected in 3137 samples tested. No RSV either.

Rhinovirus/enterovirus detected in 447 of 1981 samples tested for other respiratory viruses along with a very small number of cases of adenovirus, metapneumovirus and bocavirus detected this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I sent an email last night to Professor Nolan and it appears to have made an impact.

Here is exactly what I sent:

He didn't produce the energy, but at least his initial briefing was much shorter than normal.

So it appears my email may have had some positive impact.

If this isn't a pisstake, that's an awful prickish email to send.

Great example of thoughtfully disagreeing with someone or an idea. I do tend to thoughtfully disagree with him though.

Them main reason stated is that it will be risky and could be a false promise.

What was the alternative of living with the virus? or the reopening in December?
    Or the importation of variants? That's more like realised risk of schools and hospitals not functioning.

I really think it's beyond most people's comprehension as to what is required here. It is a crazy idea to restrict movements via quarantine but the alternative has been proven to be much worse to society in general? It's a case of cutting your loses. I said 6 months ago it would take another wave and a lot of financial loss for them to implement quarantine. I now think it may take another 6 months and perhaps another wave for it to be implemented. I say this based on the evolutionary course that the virus has taken. New variants emerging from areas with high infection /immunity from the 1st wave. As vaccination ramps up it puts more selection pressure on it. I thought it was weird / coincidence that the new variant in UK emerged and took hold in the UK where the roll out vaccination was by far the highest in Europe. The Spanish variant emerged in the summer and they had the highest infection during the first wave. Brazil the same.

Anyway sorry for thinking out load. Zerocovid is a ****e name. It should be simply called quarantine. That would allow test and trace to function and ultimately for cases to be negligible and life to resume. Actual life where people don't need to hide from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    If this isn't a pisstake, that's an awful prickish email to send.

More of a sh1t email then prickish imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193732-coronavirus-health-briefings/
    Dr Holohan said that we are fully embedded in the EU, economically, socially, politically and culturally and we are a small economy dependant on the links we have built over many years.

"We simply couldn't realistically seal the borders of this country and stop movement of people in and out," he said.
    Due to school and business closures and the curfew in NI, there are probably much fewer people going across the Border anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

majcos wrote: »
    Influenza surveillance report with data up to January 24th published. No influenza detected in 3137 samples tested. No RSV either.

Rhinovirus/enterovirus detected in 447 of 1981 samples tested for other respiratory viruses along with a very small number of cases of adenovirus, metapneumovirus and bocavirus detected this season.

Were these samples suspected cases of the flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0128/1193732-coronavirus-health-briefings/

Due to school and business closures and the curfew in NI, there are probably much fewer people going across the Border anyway.

Fewer crossing the border? Dream on. I live near the border and more than 60% if traffic is northern vehicles. Business as usual on this road.

I do worry when people turn to absolutisms.
    • no way schools won't reopen
    • we can't ban flights with UK
    • it won't cause variants of concern that can escape antibodies
    • there won't be another wave
    • vaccine distribution will be equitable

I could go on. In reality Germany will do it and we'll fall into line and claim "of course we were going to do it" While simultaneously not referring to the past year and multiple f*ckup decisions that led us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Drexel_3 wrote: »
    Were these samples suspected cases of the flu?

Yes. Suspected viral respiratory illnesses. There is no way to reliably tell the difference between Covid and influenza and other respiratory viruses based on symptoms alone.

Testing for influenza is usually done for all suspected influenza cases admitted to hospitals. It is not typical to test everyone for suspected influenza in the community apart from testing that is done through the sentinel GP network to facilitate public health monitoring. This network consists of participating GP practices spread throughout the country which report on the number of patients presenting to their practices with influenza like illnesses. Those GP practices send swabs for influenza as well which gives an idea of the circulating rates of influenza in the community each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Some good news Novovax results are in. Albeit a small caveat with SA variety but this can be tweaked in further trials

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1354900708697530369?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nice of the community in Ballymun to hold a superspreader event in honour of the late Josh Dunne.

He will have some company soon enough thanks to them.

Count yourself lucky, you ain't his parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Some good news Novovax results are in. Albeit a small caveat with SA variety but this can be tweaked in further trials

I love the Twitter account name :)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

That all makes sense. Two questions though.
    • Why did we stop flights from UK then?
    • Why does the UK not have a constitution? It only seems fair we prevent them from participating in amending ou
    rs they should have one that we are prevented from participating in amending?

If only it were an opinion poll unfortunately. :pac:

The CTA doesn't stop Ireland or the UK from implementing measures or travel restrictions for security or health reasons. For example, it's been done during the Troubles. It was also done during various agricultural disease outbreaks. There are quite broad powers in both countries when it comes to protecting public health.

As for your second point, it's really for the Legal Affairs forum. The UK has a constitution but it's not codified. It's just a collection of laws, judicial precedents customs and traditions. It's not written down in one document and there's no formal process for amending it. It just sort of evolves as laws change and judges write judgements interpreting things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Cork2021 wrote: »

The EU's is close enough to signing a 200 million dose order.

Quite a bit of detail on the updates:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-vaccines/update-1-exclusive-eu-seeks-more-moderna-covid-19-vaccines-eyes-deals-with-valneva-novavax-idUSL1N2JM1U2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Including an expanded Moderna order and a very large expansion of Pfizer/BioNTech.

The EU's is close enough to signing a 200 million dose order.

Quite a bit of detail on the updates:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-vaccines/update-1-exclusive-eu-seeks-more-moderna-covid-19-vaccines-eyes-deals-with-valneva-novavax-idUSL1N2JM1U2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Including an expanded Moderna order and a very large expansion of Pfizer/BioNTech.

Meanwhile the behaviour by AZ will have lasting implications - European governments are big pharma customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Just watching the BBC news now. Fergus Walsh, the BBC medical correspondent talking about the UK's vaccine programme as if it was a World Cup final against the EU. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Hospital data is out

1548 in hospital down from 1598 last night
    213 in ICU up from 211 last night (sadly 4 deaths)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the discussion of the tragic death of a 16yo a couple of days ago. This is the subject of an ongoing investigation by AGS and is completely off topic here (and the incident is not to be discussed elsewhere on the site)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

UK doing a wonderful job getting the vaccine out. Have to hand it to them they are leaving us in the dust.

Andrew Bridgen MP talking a lot of sense on The Tonight Show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement