Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

UK doing a wonderful job getting the vaccine out. Have to hand it to them they are leaving us in the dust.

Well with the highest death rate in the world, they certainly didn’t bother too hard with prevention of spread. They chose the medication route. Good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Great example of thoughtfully disagreeing with someone or an idea. I do tend to thoughtfully disagree with him though.

Them main reason stated is that it will be risky and could be a false promise.

What was the alternative of living with the virus? or the reopening in December?
    Or the importation of variants? That's more like realised risk of schools and hospitals not functioning.

I really think it's beyond most people's comprehension as to what is required here. It is a crazy idea to restrict movements via quarantine but the alternative has been proven to be much worse to society in general? It's a case of cutting your loses. I said 6 months ago it would take another wave and a lot of financial loss for them to implement quarantine. I now think it may take another 6 months and perhaps another wave for it to be implemented. I say this based on the evolutionary course that the virus has taken. New variants emerging from areas with high infection /immunity from the 1st wave. As vaccination ramps up it puts more selection pressure on it. I thought it was weird / coincidence that the new variant in UK emerged and took hold in the UK where the roll out vaccination was by far the highest in Europe. The Spanish variant emerged in the summer and they had the highest infection during the first wave. Brazil the same.

Anyway sorry for thinking out load. Zerocovid is a ****e name. It should be simply called quarantine. That would allow test and trace to function and ultimately for cases to be negligible and life to resume. Actual life where people don't need to hide from each other.

Zero covid and strict quarantine are being unfairly and conveniently lumped together by some.

Nolan stated quite clearly he is in favour of as strict an inbound quarantine as possible. Nphet have stated the same in several letters to goverment, repeatedly asking for the use of hotel quarantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Solli wrote: »
    Well with the highest death rate in the world, they certainly didn’t bother too hard with prevention of spread. They chose the medication route. Good for business.

The world?

I heard some dj attacking them for having the highest death rate in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

UK doing a wonderful job getting the vaccine out. Have to hand it to them they are leaving us in the dust.

Andrew Bridgen MP talking a lot of sense on The Tonight Show

I didn’t see it, but I doubt that happened.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Kingston Mills talking so much sense on the tonight show but he's been doing that since March tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Andrew Bridgen MP talking a lot of sense on The Tonight Show

Well, the families of the 104,000 who have died certainly would not be as triumphalist as Bridgen. But then it's Bridgen.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Solli wrote: »

That would be Belgium. (Excluding San Marino and Gibraltar).

Though I'm sure it is higher in countries with low testing.

Well, the families of the 104,000 who have died certainly would not be as triumphalist as Bridgen. But then it's Bridgen.

How does the UK classification and reporting of covid deaths compared to the rest of the world

Wouldn't surprise me if BJ is getting a raw deal on that one

Worst in the world? I mean who realistically believes everyone else's numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Malcomex wrote: »
    The world?

I heard some dj attacking them for having the highest death rate in the EU

Figures compiled by University of Oxford-based research platform Our World in Data show that no other country matches the UK’s per capita rate of deaths.
    3 days ago courtesy of https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/uk-covid-death-rate-coronavirus-b1788817.html%3famp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

How does the UK classification and reporting of covid deaths compared to the rest of the world

Its actually 20% higher than 104,000, but they chose to stipulate that if Covid-19 was diagnosed more than 27 days earlier in the patient, it's not officially Covid-19. Massaging of the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE Operations report

1548 cases in hospital, down from 1598 last night

ICU - 213, increase of 2.
    135 on ventilators, down 1.

4 ICU deaths in last 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Just watching the BBC news now. Fergus Walsh, the BBC medical correspondent talking about the UK's vaccine programme as if it was a World Cup final against the EU. Pathetic.

Couple weeks back i was listening to some guy on BBC. The EU bashing was incredible. Over 40 years watching BBC, never heard anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We need to massively step up our surveillance game, so we can be ahead of the curve and snub out these blasted variants before they get a chance to take hold in communities and threaten progress. A huge investment in wastewater surveillance and genomic surveillance is needed both inmedium and long-term, after this pandemic is over. Even in the short-term we could expand our wastewater surveillance, which might mean building more wastewater treatment plants. The work that SBBS has been doing has been great but it needs a full rollout.Wim Meijer is worth a follow, he releases data which charts detection of virulence in the wastewater for Covid, giving an early warning of rising cases. They report to NPHET weekly.

In the future we should have technologies that can pinpoint disease incidence down to an eircode, but for now even a targeted regional breakdown would be of huge benefit.

This is all contingent on incidence rates not being out ofcontrol in the wider community, it's like a warning system that identifies missiles before they hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's an undercount if anything.

A lot of deaths outside of hospitals weren't counted in the initial period of the epidemic and the criteria they currently use to measure deaths - death within 28 days of a positive test - means those who fall outside the 28 days period aren't included in the figure. The true figure of UK deaths is undoubtedly higher.

I don't know if they are the absolute worst in the world, but they haven't done well at all, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Newstalk now are on about the virus uptake or rather the lack of uptake. Lot worse in deprived areas and by ethnic minorities. Social media and the accompanying dumbing down of the populace is a serious blight on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

UK has 3.7m confirmed cases, France has 3.1m confirmed cases. The UK has carried out almost 71m tests and France has carried out almost 43m tests. So France has carried out 60% of the tests the UK has yet has 83% the number of cases the UK has. That doesn't add up to me. I wouldnt be surprised if the French figures are a lot higher than they care to admit.

Actually the UK has tested far more people than any other country in Europe (not including Russia).

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Kingston Mills talking so much sense on the tonight show but he's been doing that since March tbh.

Can you or someone else give the gist of what he said tonight?

We need to massively step up our surveillance game, so we can be ahead of the curve and snub out these blasted variants before they get a chance to take hold in communities and threaten progress. A huge investment in wastewater surveillance and genomic surveillance is needed both inmedium and long-term, after this pandemic is over. Even in the short-term we could expand our wastewater surveillance, which might mean building more wastewater treatment plants. The work that SBBS has been doing has been great but it needs a full rollout.Wim Meijer is worth a follow, he releases data which charts detection of virulence in the wastewater for Covid, giving an early warning of rising cases. They report to NPHET weekly.

In the future we should have technologies that can pinpoint disease incidence down to an eircode, but for now even a targeted regional breakdown would be of huge benefit.

This is all contingent on incidence rates not being out ofcontrol in the wider community, it's like a warning system that identifies missiles before they hit.

Stop new variants coming in seems to be the top priority now

Governments all gearing up to quarantine arrivals from affected regions

Too late for the 3 variants that have spread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

The EU havent any deal for it.

Uk have 60 million on order. EU should get in for any excess ones.

BoJo is open to sharing vaccines with the EU, according to reports in the Times. Personally I think he should share the UK supply only with Ireland, with the justification of needing to protect the CTA (which they have continued to recognise through this whole thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Stop new variants coming in seems to be the top priority now

Governments all gearing up to quarantine arrivals from affected regions

Too late for the 3 variants that have spread

This is where a precise Test, Trace,Isolate strategy becomes paramount. You can only achieve it if you have substantial resources to do it in all areas I.E. personnel, tools and infrastructures.

BoJo is open to sharing vaccines with the EU, according to reports in the Times. Personally I think he should share the UK supply only with Ireland, with the justification of needing to protect the CTA (which they have continued to recognise through this whole thing)

I wouldnt trust the english atal......sucking upto them for vaccines.

Give them something to hang over you,and they'll use it well into the future and bojo is among the most scheming dangerous,self-serving politians to emerge in western europe in decades

I wouldnt trust the english atal......sucking upto them for vaccines.

Give them something to hang over you,and they'll use it well into the future and bojo is among the most scheming dangerous,self-serving politians to emerge in western europe in decades

Add to that useless

This is where a precise Test, Trace,Isolate strategy becomes paramount. You can only achieve it if you have substantial resources to do it in all areas I.E. personnel, tools and infrastructures.

I agree

Depending totally on lockdowns and vaccines is lazy government

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Between AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax and Janssen, the UK have ordered 247m vaccine doses, of which 30m are Janssen, which means they can vaccinate 138.5m people with their allocation

They will have surplus and as they are likely to be the first in Europe to complete they will likely need a home for those additional ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

marno21 wrote: »
    Between AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax and Janssen, the UK have ordered 247m vaccine doses, of which 30m are Janssen, which means they can vaccinate 138.5m people with their allocation

They will have surplus and as they are likely to be the first in Europe to complete they will likely need a home for those additional ones.

And it should be poorer parts of the world that are being left behind that they give them to, not Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Here is a question. Is it a doctor's duty to let people if there has been a breakout of covid in a small village that they live and work in?

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Here is a question. Is it a doctor's duty to let people if there has been a breakout of covid in a small village that they live and work in?

No

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement