Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

majcos wrote: »
    There is no scientific evidence that the vaccine affects fertility. To use the word sterilization is dramatic.

Sorry, what I meant was that there does not seem to be sufficient clarity on whether the vaccine 'sterilises' the virus so as to make it non-transferable. Poor choice of words maybe.

Otherwise I think your post, set in those terms, would do a good job of arguing the case for mass uptake, supposing that some of the finer points regarding the efficacy or risk factor (if any) of the vaccine were addressed by the government with a bit more resourcefulness. After all, at the end of the day you are asking people to be injected with a foreign substance for which there are no long term studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

El Sueño wrote: »
    The safety data is there, hence no excuse for not taking it. Simple as that.

Just my opinion though obviously

Germany not recommending AstraZeneca for people over 65 . Broad statements like this are just nor true

Is the AstraZeneca vaccine not a bit sh*t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

1254 cases & 48 deaths today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭jackboy

wadacrack wrote: »
    Germany not recommending AstraZeneca for people over 65 . Broad statements like this are just nor true

That’s due to concerns over efficacy rather than safety. Those concerns are largely based on lack of date rather than strong evidence that it is not efficacious for that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What do you expect when you tell people to stay at home!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This statistic feels sort of meaningless I think.

Falls in hospitals, nursing homes and residential institutions much more impactful.

Leitrim is effectively covid free they are <5 every day.

1254 cases & 48 deaths today

437 in Dublin, 146 in Cork, 76 in Meath, 69 in Wexford, 62 in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

that reads to me like people are getting it in workplaces and bringing it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭poppers

9 in school???? how they have been closed for over a month at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Do today's numbers include testing of close contacts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Do today's numbers include testing of close contacts ?

No. Testing of close contacts only resumed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ruth123456

What happens to fines collected by guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

ruth123456 wrote: »

Incinerated

Paying for FF and FG PR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

2022 Christmas party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

They use it to buy dance shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It'll be offered to Astrazeneca to see if we can get this vaccine party restarted. Essentially the people breaking rules are patriots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Sorry, what I meant was that there does not seem to be sufficient clarity on whether the vaccine 'sterilises' the virus so as to make it non-transferable. Poor choice of words maybe.

Otherwise I think your post, set in those terms, would do a good job of arguing the case for mass uptake, supposing that some of the finer points regarding the efficacy or risk factor (if any) of the vaccine were addressed by the government with a bit more resourcefulness. After all, at the end of the day you are asking people to be injected with a foreign substance for which there are no long term studies.
    Yes. I see now what your intent was with the use of the word sterlisation. I have heard so many discuss the issue of fertility as a reason not to take the vaccine that I misunderstood your meaning.

You are correct that the vaccine has not eliminated infection or sterilised the nasal passages to completely stop those vaccinated from carrying the virus. It has however reduced symptoms and there is some data to suggest that although those who are asymptomatic can still infect others that they do so at a lower rate. At a very simple level, if coughing less that might be helpful in reducing spread. Those who have more serious infections may have a higher viral load so those who are vaccinated may transmit less.

Of course, it could be the case that those vaccinated don’t have symptoms so they don’t know they have the disease so they are less likely to isolate so transmission is increased. It will become clearer as time passes but in the meantime, maintaining social distance and mask wearing as much as possible should still be done.

Maybe wishful thinking, but I remain hopeful based on the early results from initial studies and from Israel that vaccines will reduce transmission even if they don’t eliminate it entirely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Paid into the exchequer via the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Big rise in Wexford following 200 at a funeral last week no masks or social distance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The German recommendation has nothing to do with safety

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is the AstraZeneca vaccine not a bit sh*t?

Nobody that took it in the trials ended up in hospital, it's an excellent option despite the sensationalist twitter/tabloid waffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Big rise in Wexford following 200 at a funeral last week no masks or social distance

No punishment and no enforcement as well. And Tony will wag his finger again and say all of us are responsible; Meehoe and Leo will prolong the shutdown for longer, and the country continues plunging into new depths of turds while the happy clappers say all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Tony being somewhat positive on RTE *shocked*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

El Sueño wrote: »
    Nobody that took it in the trials ended up in hospital, it's an excellent option despite the sensationalist twitter/tabloid waffle
    The trials weren't on older people (i.e., those most susceptible to the disease) though, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭appledrop

Storm 10 wrote: »

Irish independent also have an article with consultant from Wexford General hospitial noting that some Covid positive patients in the hospitual were refusing to stay in their designated areas/ rooms in hospitial and wandering all around hospitial.

Guards also had to be called on one occasion.

Mad stuff altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement