Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah **** off tubridy it's a Friday evening. Straight away it's doom.

You really need to renegotiate with the missus about the TV arrangements for Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I know I know. I'm quiet angry.

Errr...... I think not. You appear to be quite angry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Errr...... I think not. You appear to be quite angry though.

No I'm quiet angry. Angry but quiet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Whomever in the EU thought triggering article 16 should be given the EU version of a P45. A stupid and dangerous thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

We live in hope anyway although a good few will probably still try to flaunt the rules.

Will be going for a nice stroll myself outside the 5km tomorrow weather permitting. Looking forward to it.
    Was lovely in the snow last weekend.

No I'm quiet angry. Angry but quiet about it.

Could be worse you might have to pay for that crap.....oh wait.

spookwoman wrote: »
    So did the other countries who ordered PPE equipment and it was ok to stop those. Where was all this defense of it's citizens when italian citizens were left with dead relatives in their homes for days on end.
    We don't know the full details of the contract, if it is best effort then best effort is is. Until today is was not even know if they would even use it.
    Are the EU going to go after phizer in the US or other counties outside the EU to make up their shortfall.

Medical teams arriving from Russia and Cuba to help the Italians forced EU solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Medical teams arriving from Russia and Cuba to help the Italians forced EU solidarity.

Shamed them into doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Whomever in the EU thought triggering article 16 should be given the EU version of a P45. A stupid and dangerous thing.

What this mistake really shows is how much of a squeeze the EU are under regarding vaccine supply. As great a news as Novavax is, it's a US and UK vaccine and the distribution will reflect that. While J&J/Janssen are nowhere near as America first as Moderna, they seem in far more of a rush the go to the FDA and have no schedule so far for EMA approvals. Regarding the two EU babies; Sanofi failed and Curevac is months off with a best case scenario of 300 million doses, globally, at the back end of 2021.

While everything I've seen suggests Spunik V is an efficacious vaccine, particularly their willingness to proceed with EMA approval, it is quite the geopolitical climb down for the EU to go running to Russia for a vaccine. This panic suggests that the EU may be the last in the developed world who have not achieved zero covid to get out of this.

I think the vaccine situation is mostly bad luck for the EU but at the same time the Covid response from our block has been a ****ing omnishambles that has been very conveniently overshadowed by the US and UK. If the UK and US vaccinate their way out of their messes while we still face months of lockdowns very hard questions will be asked that will go beyond vaccine procurement strategy.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Will be going for a nice stroll myself outside the 5km tomorrow weather permitting. Looking forward to it.
    Was lovely in the snow last weekend.

I hope you have deep pockets. You may need them.

snotboogie wrote: »
    What this mistake really shows is how much of a squeeze the EU are under regarding vaccine supply. As great a news as Novavax is, it's a US and UK vaccine and the distribution will reflect that. While J&J/Janssen are nowhere near as America first as Moderna, they seem in far more of a rush the go to the FDA and have no schedule so far for EMA approvals. Regarding the two EU babies; Sanofi failed and Curevac is months off with a best case scenario of 300 million doses, globally, at the back end of 2021.

While everything I've seen suggests Spunik V is an efficacious vaccine, particularly their willingness to proceed with EMA approval, it is quite the geopolitical climb down for the EU to go running to Russia for a vaccine. This panic suggests that the EU may be the last in the developed world who have not achieved a zero covid to get out of this.

I think the vaccine situation is mostly bad luck for the EU but at the same time the Covid response from our block has been a ****ing omnishambles that has been very conveniently overshadowed by the US and UK. If the UK and US vaccinate their way out of their messes while we still face months of lockdowns very hard questions will be asked that will go beyond vaccine procurement strategy.

Any gap will ultimately be weeks at most not months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Hospital report is out

1489 in hospital (down from 1548)
    210 in ICU (down from 213 but very sad to see 9 deaths)

Hospital numbers will probably be fairly static over the weekend, with lower discharges at weekends.

I honestly don't think so. Once the US get their act together, and they will, they'll be vaccinating 1% to 2% of their population per day. They haven't had any supply issues, its all been on the distribution side. The US could achieve 1% per day on their current supply, this is a fantasy for the EU and will remain so until at least April. The UK is already months ahead of us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This is based on what?

This summer is a goner too then, we won't have enough people vaccinated. Britain will be enjoying a long hot summer and we will be in semi lockdown.

Who in the EU is responsible for this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Did the Russians actually send medical teams or just pretend to do so?

Cubans prob. did they have form.

Ficheall wrote: »
    This is based on what?

Supply ramping through the next few months, with J&J in Q2 and the BioNtech agreements with Sanofi and Novartis to follow. Q1 has supply issues, by Q2 vaccines will be coming off production lines faster than we can use them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

snotboogie wrote: »

While everything I've seen suggests Spunik V is an efficacious vaccine, particularly their willingness to proceed with EMA approval, it is quite the geopolitical climb down for the EU to go running to Russia for a vaccine. This panic suggests that the EU may be the last in the developed world who have not achieved zero covid to get out of this.

Delicious news. :D

Supply ramping through the next few months, with J&J in Q2 and the BioNtech agreements with Sanofi and Novartis to follow. Q1 has supply issues, by Q2 vaccines will be coming off production lines faster than we can use them

In the UK 12% of people have had a shot, in the US it is 7% in the EU it is less than 2%. The US are ramping up now, we plan to ramp up in 3 months time. Again I think it is mostly bad luck but we will be months behind

• Advertisement

But every other country in the world will be looking for those, have they contracts signed already i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

This summer is a goner too then, we won't have enough people vaccinated. Britain will be enjoying a long hot summer and we will be in semi lockdown.

Who in the EU is responsible for this mess?

Maybe the Brits can enjoy their long hot summer in Britland.

https://www.thejournal.ie/uk-beaches-major-incident-thousands-flock-to-beaches-5132991-Jun2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭political analyst

Hospital report is out

Hospital numbers will probably be fairly static over the weekend, with lower discharges at weekends.

I wonder will the number of Covid cases in ICU fall far enough by the end of this February to permit the lowering of restrictions to at least Level 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I wonder will the number of Covid cases in ICU fall far enough by the end of this February to permit the lowering of restrictions to at least Level 4.

Level 3 plus maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hospital report is out

We still have another day of high discharges, hopefully well over 100.
    But admissions are still kinda plateauing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It took just over a month to drop to 1/3 in the first wave. That's still ~70 in ICU.
    Hospital numbers appear to be dropping faster than the first wave (despite the ****e waffled that this variant is more dangerous) we can only hope ICU follows this trend. But going by the fact there's so many on wards on advanced oxygen treatment (~400 last I heard), maybe they will be moved into ICU units when space becomes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I hope you have deep pockets. You may need them.

Very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Are we really saying September or later until everyone that wants a vaccine will have one? 8 feckin months away?

Did the Russians actually send medical teams or just pretend to do so?

Cubans prob. did they have form.

The Russians did, great PR opportunity. Plus it won favour with lots of Italians.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Very unlikely.

Famous last words and all that............;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement