Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"It is understood that no prior consultation took place with the Irish government prior to the EU’s earlier decision."

Really shows EU for what it is, regardless of the Irish desire to be good Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

This summer is a goner too then, we won't have enough people vaccinated. Britain will be enjoying a long hot summer and we will be in semi lockdown.

Who in the EU is responsible for this mess?

You are predicting the summer weather now? Weather forum is that away>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

"It is understood that no prior consultation took place with the Irish government prior to the EU’s earlier decision."

Really shows EU for what it is, regardless of the Irish desire to be good Europeans.

I don't really think anyone knows who triggered it. Certainly needs to be looked at. I'd have though the head of all Eu nations would be involved, not just the commission or the head of a country with an issue.
    They are making themselves look like idiots for sure and I'm not one to piss on the EU without knowing the facts, but even with the facts, there's no excuse.
    Unless triggering article 16 is a big red button on a desk and someone sat on it by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Are we really saying September or later until everyone that wants a vaccine will have one? 8 feckin months away?

Leo trying to cancel Christmas already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I just noticed in the news that China are using anal swabs for covid testing now.
    I'll wear the mask and social distance but if this is where "the science" is going then this is where I part ways with it.:pac: Seriously though.

• Advertisement

I just noticed in the news that China are using anal swabs for covid testing now.
    I'll wear the mask and social distance but if this is where "the science" is going then this is where I part ways with it.:pac: Seriously though.

I've heard a common side effect for the second dose of Pfizer is diarrhea. Some irony there! Should have followed up with a shot of Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Buttplugs will be mandatory in shops come Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,885 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's looking like for some reason this summer is going to be more restricted than last, how in the jaysus can that be, we have vaccines we can use them to wipe it out in the vulnerable. Why do we need restrictions once this has been done, you are getting down to levels of risk prevention that driving a car on the road is more than, wtf like?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Buttplugs will be mandatory in shops come Spring.

DopeyAnchoredAlpinegoat-max-1mb.gif

It's looking like for some reason this summer is going to be more restricted than last, how in the jaysus can that be, we have vaccines we can use them to wipe it out in the vulnerable. Why do we need restrictions once this has been done, you are getting down to levels of risk prevention that driving a car on the road is more than, wtf like?

Last summer, more people died in road accidents (3/week) than Covid (0/week). But somehow by the end of the year road deaths stayed level and covid deaths increased to 50 a day. Just because we have 3 vaccines approved, doesn't mean we're all vaccinated overnight. Vaccines ain't administered into our water supply so we all get vaccinated overnight.
    Government playing it safe after the Christmas spike. We cannot afford another one as soon as announce groups X are vaccinated etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,885 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Government playing it safe after the Christmas spike. We cannot afford another one as soon as announce groups X are vaccinated etc...

Which means the vaccine doesn't at all work going on the figures they have given us on who will be vaccinated in this country at that stage if Christmas 2021 is the same as 2020. Should we all instead have a shot of Jameson every morning while facing Newgrange?

Which means the vaccine doesn't at all work going on the figures they have given us on who will be vaccinated in this country at that stage if Christmas 2021 is the same as 2020. Should we all instead have a shot of Jameson every morning while facing Newgrange?

If you want the government to give you a definite date when **** will get back to normal, sit in the queue. Even covid zero countries can't even tell when their borders will be open.

With vaccine supplies up and down like a ****ing yoyo you want them to look into a crystal ball and tell you when we will have X number vaccinated?
    Ask them for the lotto numbers, you'll have a better chance.

Do people not realise after a year of Covid that just approving a vaccine doesn;t make Covid disappear. And vaccination's take time and the outcome is still not certain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I've heard a common side effect for the second dose of Pfizer is diarrhea. Some irony there! Should have followed up with a shot of Guinness!

Nope Bisto, browns and thickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If you want the government to give you a definite date when **** will get back to normal, sit in the queue. Even covid zero countries can't even tell when their borders will be open.

With vaccine supplies up and down like a ****ing yoyo you want them to look into a crystal ball and tell you when we will have X number vaccinated?
    Ask them for the lotto numbers, you'll have a better chance.

Do people not realise after a year of Covid that just approving a vaccine doesn;t make Covid disappear. And vaccination's take time and the outcome is still not certain!

Makes you wonder how previous generations survived pandemics.

Makes you wonder how previous generations survived pandemics.

I'm thinking those of that mind frame didn't survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭firemansam4

IMO I really can't see anything returning to full normality in 2021, I think anyone who thinks we will may be disappointed.

In all honesty it's probably going to be 2022 before everyone is vaccinated, and then we may be looking at having to roll out boosters or further vaccines to combat new variants which could take us into 2023.
    I think having very tight international travel control and restriction may be key to reducing the risk of any new variants taking hold here.

Having said that I still think we can have a pretty decent summer if we get numbers low enough again, and with any luck by the time Christmas comes round again we would have a significant enough proportion of the population vaccinated to make a big difference compared to the one we just had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

This summer is a goner too then, we won't have enough people vaccinated. Britain will be enjoying a long hot summer and we will be in semi lockdown.

Summer is definitely a goner im afraid if people want to travel. The Brits are leaving Europe in their dust when it comes to vaccinations :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You'd have been deluded to have ever thought this summer would be in any way normal, with or without vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

IMO I really can't see anything returning to full normality in 2021, I think anyone who thinks we will may be disappointed.

In all honesty it's probably going to be 2022 before everyone is vaccinated, and then we may be looking at having to roll out boosters or further vaccines to combat new variants which could take us into 2023.
    I think having very tight international travel control and restriction may be key to reducing the risk of any new variants taking hold here.

Having said that I still think we can have a pretty decent summer if we get numbers low enough again, and with any luck by the time Christmas comes round again we would have a significant enough proportion of the population vaccinated to make a big difference compared to the one we just had.

I think the best way to look at it, its going to get slowly better as each week progresses in all likelihood. Might be slower than people hope but it is the best way to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Summer is definitely a goner im afraid if people want to travel. The Brits are leaving Europe in their dust when it comes to vaccinations :(
    It's not a competition. We'll all have some form of restrictions for a good while, including Britain. What summer is going to be like is guesswork and very variable. Some day's it'll be normal, others the same as now, it's like dangling hope and warnings in front of us in equal measures.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think the best way to look at it, its going to get slowly better as each week progresses in all likelihood. Might be slower than people hope but it is the best way to look at it.
    Indeed, but it takes quite a bit of processing for people to get there. It still needs to be framed as not that great, for at least 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You'd have been deluded to have ever thought this summer would be in any way normal, with or without vaccines.

It may not be ‘Normal’ but the economies of Italy, France, Spain, Portugal etc. will be in dire need of a summer of tourism. My own view is that we are seeing these lockdowns now with the long game of ‘summer’ in mind. I’m sure there will be testing, certain restrictions and maybe the odd country who do things differently but in general, I believe there will be a tourism season this summer in Europe. They simply cannot afford the economic devastation without one. A lot can happen in 5 months in terms of vaccine supplies!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,377 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought we were trying to get to 70% of the population to get herd immunity, 100% of the population is the end game but sure herd immunity is the goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Golfman64 wrote: »
    It may not be ‘Normal’ but the economies of Italy, France, Spain, Portugal etc. will be in dire need of a summer of tourism. My own view is that we are seeing these lockdowns now with the long game of ‘summer’ in mind. I’m sure there will be testing, certain restrictions and maybe the odd country who do things differently but in general, I believe there will be a tourism season this summer in Europe. They simply cannot afford the economic devastation without one. A lot can happen in 5 months in terms of vaccine supplies!

You are right. We will be locked down for the next few months but when case numbers come down (and they will continue to do so) and when vaccinations get rolled out (slower but will pick up speed) life will start to return to a bit more normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »
    Indeed, but it takes quite a bit of processing for people to get there. It still needs to be framed as not that great, for at least 2 months.

I agree. I do think some are making a mistake in framing it as 12 months and already ruling out the summer. Better to think in bite sized chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Vicxas wrote: »
    I thought we were trying to get to 70% of the population to get herd immunity, 100% of the population is the end game but sure herd immunity is the goal

Herd immunity is important if the vaccine reduces transmission (this is as yet unproven but there is some promising data re the Pfizer vaccine).

I see hospitalisations are down below 1,500 , at 1,489 - 211 in ICU.

EDIT : Paul Reid update

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1355442903942918144

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

We had a chance of a relatively normal summer if we got the vulnerable and over 60s vaccinated. There would still be some restrictions but not anything like we are likely to face now.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Looks like Italy are reducing some of their lockdown measures. If they are going to reduce some now I’d imagine they will for summer as they really need the summer season. Be interesting to see what happens

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/italy-eases-covid-19-restrictions-for-rome-and-milan.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does the number in hospital include those in ICU or is it 1500 on general wards and another 210 in ICU?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement