Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Golfman64 wrote: »
    It may not be ‘Normal’ but the economies of Italy, France, Spain, Portugal etc. will be in dire need of a summer of tourism. My own view is that we are seeing these lockdowns now with the long game of ‘summer’ in mind. I’m sure there will be testing, certain restrictions and maybe the odd country who do things differently but in general, I believe there will be a tourism season this summer in Europe. They simply cannot afford the economic devastation without one. A lot can happen in 5 months in terms of vaccine supplies!

I'd like to think you're right but nothing to date has suggested we will be in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We had a chance of a relatively normal summer if we got the vulnerable and over 60s vaccinated. There would still be some restrictions but not anything like we are likely to face now.

I didn't say it would be as now but normal holiday scenarios are unlikely this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'd like to think you're right but nothing to date has suggested we will be in that position.

I’d say other European countries will be more open then Ireland this summer very much like last year.

Countries like Italy, Spain and Greece need the tourist Season even more then we do.It’s amazing that Italy was hit hardest and is still easing restrictions earlier then everyone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gael23 wrote: »
    Does the number in hospital include those in ICU or is it 1500 on general wards and another 210 in ICU?

I think it's inclusive, but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭poppers

Does the number in hospital include those in ICU or is it 1500 on general wards and another 210 in ICU?

ASAIK iits 1500 in hospital with 210 of them in ICU so 1290 in general wards

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think it's inclusive, but open to correction.

Do you know if we have started to use the Private hospital capacity or are we still only using public hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wolf359f wrote: »
    If you want the government to give you a definite date when **** will get back to normal, sit in the queue. Even covid zero countries can't even tell when their borders will be open.

With vaccine supplies up and down like a ****ing yoyo you want them to look into a crystal ball and tell you when we will have X number vaccinated?
    Ask them for the lotto numbers, you'll have a better chance.

Do people not realise after a year of Covid that just approving a vaccine doesn;t make Covid disappear. And vaccination's take time and the outcome is still not certain!

You've completely missed his point, well done.

Its a pretty simple question really, last summer we had quite low levels of restrictions. How is anyone predicting more restrictions this summer (than last) when we'll again be coming off the back of a large lockdown and this time we should have decent numbers vaccinated?

Doesn't add up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

(I think) this is a very interesting article by Andrew Nikiforuk in an online magazine called The TYEE in Canada. He has written about pandemics and is an award winning journalist of many years. He supports Zero Covid. The vaccination programs cannot out run the mutations is the basic argument. But the whole thing is worth some consideration.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/01/28/Virus-Changed-Get-To-Zero-Face-Catastrophe/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I just noticed in the news that China are using anal swabs for covid testing now.
    I'll wear the mask and social distance but if this is where "the science" is going then this is where I part ways with it.:pac: Seriously though.

Yeah not great.

541436.png

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sJzEf_1611890384

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gruffalux wrote: »
    (I think) this is a very interesting article by Andrew Nikiforuk in an online magazine called The TYEE in Canada. He has written about pandemics and is an award winning journalist of many years. He supports Zero Covid. The vaccination programs cannot out run the mutations is the basic argument. But the whole thing is worth some consideration.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/01/28/Virus-Changed-Get-To-Zero-Face-Catastrophe/
    He seems to have a lot more issues with the response of his own country. We are now "listening to science" and Phillip Nolan calls zero COVID a false promise. If NPHET don't support it, the government definitely won't.

• Advertisement

Not been smart but how did we get out of the Spainish flu pandemic?. And I know it’s not the same as Covid but I’m just wondering no vaccines and no long term lockdowns and yet we don’t have the Spainish flu now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wonder has he heard of Nphets P. Nolan?
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/utterly-false-promise-turning-us-into-a-zero-covid-island-cannot-be-done-says-nphets-professor-philip-nolan-40025132.html

Not been smart but how did we get out of the Spainish flu pandemic?. And I know it’s not the same as Covid but I’m just wondering no vaccines and no long term lockdowns and yet we don’t have the Spainish flu now.
    Immune to the horror of large scale deaths, WW1 had just ended. Oh and no constant social media hysteria.

Immune to the horror of large scale deaths, WW1 had just ended. Oh and no constant social media hysteria.

I couldn’t agree more about the social media hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

video should be taken down for the music alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

If you could design an optimal global response to this pandemic, including vaccine rollout, would it look anything like what the world is doing right now?

I don't think so. In fact the current plan is about as bad a situation as you could dream up.
    Individual governments acting ostensibly in their own people's interest, but missing the bigger picture entirely, and thereby endangering their own people in the medium to long term.

Vaccines should be the solution to the pandemic. Instead they've become the most sought after commodity on the planet, and our greed for them risks their very worth.

If you could design an optimal global response to this pandemic, including vaccine rollout, would it look anything like what the world is doing right now?

I don't think so. In fact the current plan is about as bad a situation as you could dream up.
    Individual governments acting ostensibly in their own people's interest, but missing the bigger picture entirely, and thereby endangering their own people in the medium to long term.

Vaccines should be the solution to the pandemic. Instead they've become the most sought after commodity on the planet, and our greed for them risks their very worth.

What would it look like?

From the beginning of the vaccine I was thinking how can it possibly work if the most of the world, which is so vastly poorer than where we live like kings and queens, do not get quick rollout. It creates evolutionary pressure on the virus, but so does half vaccinating populations as even the rich world is doing. And by the time one rollout is finished there will be the second tweak shot and the third tweak shot and the fourth tweak shot already needed ages ago. People talk about how impossible zero covid is on a global basis but seem to imagine that timely and effective vaccine rollout IS possible on a global basis.

I see no logical reasoning not to absolutely stamp this fecker out. Quench it at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

is_that_so wrote: »
    He seems to have a lot more issues with the response of his own country. We are now "listening to science" and Phillip Nolan calls zero COVID a false promise. If NPHET don't support it, the government definitely won't.

The best we can do realistically is follow the UK moves

They have the scientists and we're stuck with movement between the two

That's a joke, isn't it? :)

• Advertisement

From the beginning of the vaccine I was thinking how can it possibly work if the most of the world, which is so vastly poorer than where we live like kings and queens, do not get quick rollout. It creates evolutionary pressure on the virus, but so does half vaccinating populations as even the rich world is doing. And by the time one rollout is finished there will be the second tweak shot and the third tweak shot and the fourth tweak shot already needed ages ago. People talk about how impossible zero covid is on a global basis but seem to imagine that timely and effective vaccine rollout IS possible on a global basis.

I see no logical reasoning not to absolutely stamp this fecker out. Quench it at all costs.

at all costs? no level of collateral damage is too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I know that the specific figures for Connolly only make sense when ICU is included in the overall figure. And not on top. So would have to be the same for the total number otherwise numbers would be all over the place.

So back to expecting the world's population to retreat into their homes ( for those that have a home) for several weeks, forgetting of course for alot of the world's population feeding oneself/ family is of far more importance than the threat of Covid .
    I heard someone describe Covid as a first world problem , they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I couldn’t agree more about the social media hysteria

I am only on Boards and I think its hysterical too :)

I can only imagine being on Twitter/FB/Instagram during this pandemic.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

lawred2 wrote: »

You can say that unironically after one year going at it arseways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Could be short sighted what's happening now ya, leaving the 3rd world lagging

Theres politics at play in Israel and the UK

The quick rollout could even work against them if they run into an unforeseen issue

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

This is actually incredibly accurate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

A level of herd immunity was gained but a dreadful cost. The virus towards the end of 1919 mutated in to a milder strain which is still with us today

lawred2 wrote: »

Is this not the same attitude that countries are having at the moment get as many of the vaccines at all cost. See people are effected differently someone who is working at home on full pay doesn’t have the same thoughts about lockdown as someone who has been made unemployed for the guts of a year. So if you are working and paid lockdown is good but opening is bad and vice versa.

What is obvious is that when the hits the fan it’s Every man / country for themselves lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

So back to expecting the world's population to retreat into their homes ( for those that have a home) for several weeks, forgetting of course for alot of the world's population feeding oneself/ family is of far more importance than the threat of Covid .
    I heard someone describe Covid as a first world problem , they were right.

They were entirely ****ing wrong.
    Whoever said it is a complete and utter idiot.

Tell the people of Manaus or Peru that what they're experiencing is a first world problem.
    I mean, ffs.

Any idea who said it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement