Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hospital admissions on the dashboard seems to be picking up over the past few days. Hopefully it's just a blip and not a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Polar101 wrote: »
    Maybe the new form of testing could be reserved for the people who thought the existing tests weren't accurate enough.

That would be a urine test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

That's the bottom line.

Brings a hole new level of discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sat 30 - 1414
    Fri 29 - 1247
    Thr 28 - 1463
    Wed 27 - 1331
    Tue 26 - 926
    Mon 25 - 1396
    Sun 24 - 1370
    7 day average 1302

Sat 23 - 1905
    Fri 22 - 2357
    Thr 21 - 2598
    Wed 20 - 2485
    Tue 19 - 1996
    Mon 18 - 2117
    Sun 17 - 2946
    7 day average 2343

That is perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Point of order. Many/most people who have been sick, or have died, did not do the 'wrong thing'! Your post is a little sanctimonious.

Not in the slightest, I have no concern for others at this stage. My life has been derailed long enough.

I realise my opinion is a result of the situation.. but it is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the death rate in the UK is still so high when they have been vaccinating the most vulnerable people since early December. It is over twice the death rate in France where comparatively very few vaccinations have been done and where the case rate is almost as high as the UK.
    Should there not have been a dramatic fall in deaths in the UK by now.?
    I don’t understand why this should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an explanation as to why the death rate in the UK is still so high when they have been vaccinating the most vulnerable people since early December. It is over twice the death rate in France where comparatively very few vaccinations have been done and where the case rate is almost as high as the UK.

Deaths trail ICU admittance which trails cases. Also the vaccine takes a while to become effective, 10-14 days I think?

As they continue vaccinations and the effectiveness rises we should hopefully see a good reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

A number of factors:
    - It takes at least a couple of weeks for the first dose of the vaccine to have any effect
    - Two doses of the vaccine are required to maximise efficacy
    - Anyone with a covid positive test is not vaccinated until 4 weeks after their test
    - There is a lag in reporting deaths
    - On average it takes 2 to 3 weeks for someone with Covid to die

So, nothing unexpected about the UK stats at the moment. You would expect to see improvement in February, but not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Deaths trail ICU admittance which trails cases. Also the vaccine takes a while to become effective, 10-14 days I think?

As they continue vaccinations and the effectiveness rises we should hopefully see a good reduction.

That doesn’t explain why there is such a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That doesn’t explain why there is such a big difference.

The UK was riddled with it, compared to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Are we stuck around 1500 a day until serious amounts of vaccinations?

7-day average is 1307 cases per day the 5 day average is 1279.

It was predicted on here last Saturday that the 7 day average today would be between 1500 to 1800 so we are very much on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

7-day average is 1307 cases per day the 5 day average is 1279.

It was predicted on here last Saturday that the 7 day average today would be between 1500 to 1800 so we are very much on track.

So far this week Sunday - Saturday 9147 cases
    Last Week Sunday - Saturday 16404 cases

44% decrease

I know it may not seem like it with high daily cases and we all want cases to go down faster but we are making progress

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not sure this is the right thread to post in but here goes. I know of a nursing home where family members of the owners got their first jab last week. Basically they arrived on the day of the vaccination and had no problems getting it. These members would never had set foot inside the nursing home previous to this. It included family members of the owners and their partners. Think what they are doing is putting these people down as volunteers at the home so this qualifies them to receive the vaccine. They would be healthy people in their 30s/40s. Disgusting behaviour if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Not sure this is the right thread to post in but here goes. I know of a nursing home where family members of the owners got their first jab last week. Basically they arrived on the day of the vaccination and had no problems getting it. These members would never had set foot inside the nursing home previous to this. It included family members of the owners and their partners. Think what they are doing is putting these people down as volunteers at the home so this qualifies them to receive the vaccine. They would be healthy people in their 30s/40s. Disgusting behaviour if you ask me
    Name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Source of your information?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The first vaccinations took place in mid December, but it wasn't ramped up until AZ started to be rolled out on 4th Jan, and even then numbers were low in the first week to check for reactions. So it was 11th Jan before vaccinations took off in a big way in the UK. That is still less than 3 weeks ago. The number of new cases in the UK appear to have fallen significantly, but that is probably virtually exclusively down to the lockdown, maybe the vaccine is starting to have a small impact. I'd say the number of over 80s being admitted to hospital due to Covid by mid/late Feb may be the first real indicator as to whether the roll out is going as hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭giveitholly

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Source of your information?

Brother of a resident in the home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Not sure I'd ever get over the embarrassment of an anal swab.
    pc7 wrote: »
    Aw seriously, as bad as the nasal swab is (I didn’t find it that bad), but 2021 can fook right off of I’m dropping my knickers in a test center for an anal swab!!

You would probably do it yourself, nasal or throat swab was done by a healthcare professional as it was important to go uncomfortably deep enough to collect enough sample.

Anal swab no problem as you can tell by the colour that you have got sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You would probably do it yourself, nasal or throat swab was done by a healthcare professional as it was important to go uncomfortably deep enough to collect enough sample.

Isn't it rather ironic that they have to bury a swab half way up to your brain to get a tiny sample, yet you can breathe the wrong way in a room and everyone present gets infected. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Danno wrote: »
    Isn't it rather ironic that they have to bury a swab half way up to your brain to get a tiny sample, yet you can breathe the wrong way in a room and everyone present gets infected. :rolleyes:

It might be similar to the way that dogs are always said to have an amazing sense of smell, yet they go nose to arse to smell other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Depends on the incubation timeline, you could have virus at time of testing but not yet shedding it.

Just a visual rep of the ICU beds available tonight in acute hospitals using latest HSE operations report numbers. Doesn't look good.

30-01-2021-map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

spookwoman wrote: »
    Just a visual rep of the ICU beds available tonight in acute hospitals using latest HSE operations report numbers. Doesn't look good.

It certainly doesn't look good, but hark back to the days when Mary Harney was minister for health, se was advised to ramp up ICU capacity to north of 500 beds.

That recommendation came during a time when there was no epidemic and when population numbers were lower.

You can bet your bottom dollar that she never acted.

April last year there was 420 opened and staffed ICU beds, now we're at 340 open and staffed. I would assume the 80 difference is down to lack of staff for obvious reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Id go to the media with it tbh. Think families of the relatives have a right to know and everyone else. Its not their vaccine to distribute to relatives, its the states to vaccinate vulnerable people and actual workers there.

It certainly doesn't look good, but hark back to the days when Mary Harney was minister for health, se was advised to ramp up ICU capacity to north of 500 beds.

That recommendation came during a time when there was no epidemic and when population numbers were lower.

You can bet your bottom dollar that she never acted.

Document back to Swine flu and it says they needed more capacity .
    Wolf359f wrote: »

April last year there was 420 opened and staffed ICU beds, now we're at 340 open and staffed. I would assume the 80 difference is down to lack of staff for obvious reasons?

We've heard of them moving ICU patients to other hospitals that are miles away due to bed issues.

On a local note, Waterford has no 24 hour cardiac care, after hours and weekends if you have a heart attack you are sent to CUH. Other emergency procedures are also sent CUH when it comes to weekend.
    Last time I was in hospital pre-covid relative overheard a conversation in A+E where a man came in with chest pains, and they were telling the wife to drive him to cork because he could not be treated there, They told he was probably having a heart attack. Same thing is probably happening with other hospitals and it has to be costing lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

On a local note, Waterford has no 24 hour cardiac care, after hours and weekends if you have a heart attack you are sent to CUH. Other emergency procedures are also sent CUH when it comes to weekend.
    Last time I was in hospital pre-covid relative overheard a conversation in A+E where a man came in with chest pains, and they were telling the wife to drive him to cork because he could not be treated there, They told he was probably having a heart attack. Same thing is probably happening with other hospitals and it has to be costing lives.

Are you having hidden agenda here now .Surely no hospital turned away a man with chest pains

cityboyjim wrote: »

Are you having hidden agenda here now .Surely no hospital turned away a man with chest pains

hidden agenda would ever feck off. Saying lack of icu beds on an already stretched system is putting more lives in danger. And yes they were telling him to go to another hospital with suspected heart attack because as I said we have no cardiac care after hours.

• Advertisement

Document back to Swine flu and it says they needed more capacity .

We've heard of them moving ICU patients to other hospitals that are miles away due to bed issues.

Moving patients around won't affect the total number of open and staffed beds. I was asking why last April we had an additional 80 open and staffed ICU beds.
    I'm guessing it's down to sick/exhausted/staff in self quarantine etc...

Shocking to hear A&E staff turn around a heart attack patient.
    Surely they should have examined him to determine if he was actually having a heart attack and not just say probably.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement