Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry this might be a stupid question but what's the difference between Covid19 and Covid Pneumonia and can you get both?

To the best of my knowledge Covid Pneumonia is a description for someone with severe covid 19 expressing as pneumonia.

Ie covid pneumonia is a subset of people with covid 19.

Where did I say that? I'd say put in mandatory hotel quarantine and get on with living.

Lockdowns are a load of sh!te and caused by p1ss poor planning.
    • "It can't mutate"
    • "You can't get reinfected"
    • "EU vaccine rollout will be equitable"
    • "schools won't close"
    • "It's a casedemic"

I can't control what some have chosen to believe. I'd say choose life....choose a washing machine. etc.

Fundamentally disagree. I’m not prepared to live in Ireland with closed borders until 2022/23 or beyond. I would permanently leave the county. I have no issue with restricting visitors to citizens and residents, and putting in place strategic short term bans from certain regions every now and then, and requiring testing, but we need to be careful what we collectively wish for here. Leo is right when he says that putting in place the kind of controls you are talking about means that they are very hard to unwind (as NZ will find out). The justification is to keep out variants, and therefore will have to be in place until the world is vaccinated in 2023 (if goes to plan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fundamentally disagree. I’m not prepared to live in Ireland with closed borders until 2022/23 or beyond. I would permanently leave the county. I have no issue with restricting visitors to citizens and residents, and putting in place strategic short term bans from certain regions every now and then, and requiring testing, but we need to be careful what we collectively wish for here. Leo is right when he says that putting in place the kind of controls you are talking about means that they are very hard to unwind (as NZ will find out). The justification is to keep out variants, and therefore will have to be in place until the world is vaccinated in 2023 (if goes to plan)

For the 5th time today. Where did I say that? I don't want to live in Ireland beyond 2022/ 2023 with closed borders. Australia and NZ are resuming their travel corridor.

As more countries get virus down travel can resume. It's a major misrepresentation that if you want mandatory hotel quarantine you want lockdown and restriction of movements. It's the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It hasn't been explained by a single poster even once over the course of the thread why it wont work so go ahead have a shot.

It has, many many times. Maybe not in this specific thread but across the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Gael23 wrote: »
    How do we stop new strains?

Same way as we do with new flu strains.

We cant stop them we will have to endure them.

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »

except it's quite a bit more deadly than the latest flu strains.......
    • 2.9× more fatal at age 30
    • 5.0× at 40
    • 8.6× at 50
    • 13.6× at 60
    • 14.4× at 70
    https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1311764842160644096?s=20

Meanwhile as we wait for salvation...

'We've had enough': In France, Spain and Denmark, anti-lockdown protests continue...
    https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/31/we-ve-had-enough-in-france-spain-and-denmark-anti-lockdown-protests-continue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

well thats a pretty defeatist attitude tbh!
    if a strain rears its ugly head that is immune to the current vaccines?
    if a strain rears its head that completely changes the way it presents itself to the immune system and in fact hides from the immune system then what?
    we are giving the virus plenty of chance to mutate and leaving international borders open with no quarantine only helps the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

• 5.0× at 40
    • 8.6× at 50
    • 13.6× at 60
    • 14.4× at 70

True, for people of a certain age group or people with underlying conditions.

The flu mutates ever year and there’s a new flu jab that comes out and unfortunately a lot of vulnerable people die, but we don’t vaccinate every Tom, Dick and Harry (Atleast we didn’t) for the flu season every year.

• 5.0× at 40
    • 8.6× at 50
    • 13.6× at 60
    • 14.4× at 70

I am not arguing that. I am simply saying that after decades of trying to fight influenza with questionable results some people here expect we will weed out sars virus in what? Year? Two? Ten?
    This only point to pointlessness to even talk about zero covid policy whatever that means.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Over 300+ vaccine deaths and 10,000 "adverse reactions" its not news to RTE though

Mod:

Please provide the evidence for this claim or take it to the Conspiracy Theory Forum

tom1ie wrote: »
    well thats a pretty defeatist attitude tbh!
    if a strain rears its ugly head that is immune to the current vaccines?
    if a strain rears its head that completely changes the way it presents itself to the immune system and in fact hides from the immune system then what?
    we are giving the virus plenty of chance to mutate and leaving international borders open with no quarantine only helps the virus.

It is called reality.
    I do not even know what you mean with "if a strain rears its ugly head that is immune to the current vaccines?" because current vaccines are not making you immune to any strain. If you will be exposed and even though you are vaccinated you will still become infected with a chance of passing it on others.

We can not close the borders. It is that simple.
    Even at the height of cold war with east/west borders manned with countless personnel with machine guns and dotted with minefields there still a lot of people found a way to cross them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The tennis back on in Australia looks great. I know we can't do something similar because it's risky or something. 1000 people dead and 100,000 cases in January was obviously deemed less risky.

https://twitter.com/RichardBurgon/status/1355652898416373762?s=20

Takes a certain level of stupid to be this dense

I am not arguing that. I am simply saying that after decades of trying to fight influenza with questionable results some people here expect we will weed out sars virus in what? Year? Two? Ten?
    This only point to pointlessness to even talk about zero covid policy whatever that means.

Ok, it's just let's be clear what we are talking about. You mentioned we will have to endure it like we do with the flu.

That implies an equivalence or comparison which doesn't hold true in terms Infection fatality ratio as shown above.

8.6 times more deadly than flu for 50 -60. I'm all for taking my chances but people should be informed.

Also on a positive note there hasn't the amount of investment and advances in vaccines for covid isn't comparable to investment in a flu vaccine.

I'd say if we wanted to we could eliminate flu. Vaccines for flu have not really changed for a long time and aren't that effective some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Ok, it's just let's be clear what we are talking about. You mentioned we will have to endure it like we do with the flu.

That implies an equivalence or comparison which doesn't hold true in terms Infection fatality ratio as shown above.

8.6 times more deadly than flu for 50 -60. I'm all for taking my chances but people should be informed.

Also on a positive note there hasn't the amount of investment and advances in vaccines for covid isn't comparable to investment in a flu vaccine.

I'd say if we wanted to we could eliminate flu. Vaccines for flu have not really changed for a long time and aren't that effective some years.

We will never eliminate the flu, especially type A that crosses from animal to human, there's too much of a reservoir for the disease in the animal kingdom, mainly bats.

We will never eliminate the flu, especially type A that crosses from animal to human, there's too much of a reservoir for the disease in the animal kingdom, mainly bats.

And here comes novel sars virus with same reservoir for the disease in the animal kingdom yet some people think we are going to win this time.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Just filled up with fuel and had to use the pin pad as tap wasn't working. Was driving and noticed a smell of perfume from my hand that I used on the pin pad.

Still stinks after washing it. Hopefully no Covid with the perfume residue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

We could. We’d just need to never let anyone outside the door for the next 50 years. Some people would probably be in favour of that now at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Over 300+ vaccine deaths and 10,000 "adverse reactions" its not news to RTE though

90 minutes since you posted that

anything to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Coybig_ wrote: »
    .012 percent of those people have died. An inarguable fact. From 86.7 percent of all cases.

At some point we need to accept that people may end up in hospital, just like they do for other reasons. With a death rate of .001 percent for this.

At what point do the terrible effects of Lockdown come under consideration?

What your saying would be the biggest catastrophe in the history of the state is complete horse manure.

What's the survival rate for people who can't access a hospital bed or a nurse because there isn't one available in your scenario?

• Advertisement

It is called reality.
    I do not even know what you mean with "if a strain rears its ugly head that is immune to the current vaccines?" because current vaccines are not making you immune to any strain. If you will be exposed and even though you are vaccinated you will still become infected with a chance of passing it on others.

We can not close the borders. It is that simple.
    Even at the height of cold war with east/west borders manned with countless personnel with machine guns and dotted with minefields there still a lot of people found a way to cross them.

You are correct in saying that if you are vaccinated you can still catch covid and pass it on but you know very well what I mean.
    If a strain appears that infects and then harms you as if you hadn’t had a vaccine.
    What is your solution if a strain like this appears pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus christ the negativity in this thread would give you a brain tumour.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Jesus christ the negativity in this thread would give you a brain tumour.

So don’t read it? It’s called reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You are correct in saying that if you are vaccinated you can still catch covid and pass it on but you know very well what I mean.
    If a strain appears that infects and then harms you as if you hadn’t had a vaccine.
    What is your solution if a strain like this appears pray tell?

What is the point of such hypotheticals though?

lawred2 wrote: »

We already have new strains that have reduced the effectiveness of the existing vaccines.
    It’s not hypothetical.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/two-new-covid-vaccines-work-worse-against-south-african-strain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

We already have new strains that have reduced the effectiveness of the existing vaccines.
    It’s not hypothetical.

Huge difference between a strain that slightly reduces effectiveness and one that completely evades a vaccine.

El Sueño wrote: »
    Huge difference between a strain that slightly reduces effectiveness and one that completely evades a vaccine.

Indeed there is. Is it possible? Of course. Should we put a plan in place, and process to counter this? Some people would call that common sense.

lawred2 wrote: »

After a year of being bombarded daily with scary hypothetical predictions and end of the world scenario stories some people gave up hope.
    Covid become almost religion regardless that there are more scarier things out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It’s not hypothetical.
    It's certain that there will be a new pandemic flu at some time in our future, but we aren't going to shut down the country for fear of some future hypothetical. Same with Covid.

The best advice we have from the virologists is to take the first vaccine you can get so that this virus and its variants are not completely new to your immune system, and the current vaccines we have are good enough to prevent serious disease from all known strains - if we need to have a booster shot in a year or two so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Polar101 wrote: »
    "Forced" quarantine seems to work pretty well in Finland - if they discover a "super-spreader" event, anyone who is a close contact or has been at the premises at the time, is ordered to self-isolate for 14 days. So far they've managed to keep schools and pubs open (most of the time), and have had only 45k cases to date, and currently just 120 cases in hospitals. There are restrictions, but they're decided locally based on a 3-tier system. Their testing and tracing capability is similar to Ireland, so maybe something similar could have worked here too.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/one_evening_one_bar_80_infections_1000_quarantined/11760826

I think the term Zero Covid has become too politically charged. But Finland is something we can and should aspire to, in order to get meaningful suppression.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement