Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If our government wanted to get rid of Covid it would have.

Covid is with us because it allows for control. Covid will be banished when the government decides it has run its course and we have been broken enough.

Covid would have been wiped out by July if Mehole and Leo were put on 350 per week until the job was done.

Ah here. Would ya stop and feck off to the conspiracy forums with that craic. This thread is for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭redarmy

15 additional deaths confirmed.

1,247 new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

“Extremely concerned “

It’s one phrase I never want to again when this is over

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tom1ie wrote: »
    We won’t have a complete picture of variants outside of Israel in 3-6 months.
    We're not looking for one, that's down to us anyway. What we would like to see is what happens with a full vaccination programme. People seem to be going overboard on the whole variant thing, vaccines can be tweaked very quickly. B117 is not a problem and the other one B1351 is covered, albeit at lower levels of efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ah here. Would ya stop and feck off to the conspiracy forums with that craic. This thread is for adults.

No thanks, we have enough loopers in there as it is!

• Advertisement

redarmy wrote: »

1,247 new cases.
    Hopefully, we will see it dipping under 1,000 very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

redarmy wrote: »

1,247 new cases.

The Sunday death dip, nice little drop in numbers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

is_that_so wrote: »
    We're not looking for one, that's down to us anyway. What we would like to see is what happens with a full vaccination programme. People seem to be going overboard on the whole variant thing, vaccines can be tweaked very quickly. B117 is not a problem and the other one B1351 is covered, albeit at lower levels of efficacy.

You're getting ahead of yourself

Its you who has the wires crossed anyhow

We'll know how the 1st gen Vaccination goes in Israel soon but that's it

Unknown Variants and Boosters are into the future

Israel's vaccination program is only chapter 1 or 2 if you call the lockdowns and SD and masks chapter 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I've no ****ing idea what you're talking about.

I'll tell you what, given that you're extremely obstinate, lets never speak again

You jumped into a conversation thinking you could have a row and then it turned out that that conversation wasn't what you thought it was. You could have just backed out. I'm more than happy to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Covid is with us because it allows for control. Covid will be banished when the government decides it has run its course and we have been broken enough.

Covid would have been wiped out by July if Mehole and Leo were put on 350 per week until the job was done.

Just when you think you have seem the most absurd post, this comes along.

Farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Nonsense.

Our government could have all but killed this off by closing airports at, by the very latest, last August.

They allowed the airports to stay open to bring in people over Christmas from one of the most infested regions in the world. Their line of defence was to ask people politely not to come.

They failed to act on either account. Ask yourself why.

Remember, not a single member of the cabinet is a penny poorer because of Covid, and never will be, save for the odd one who may be having more difficulty renting one of their properties out.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The Sunday death dip, nice little drop in numbers though.

Would the close contacts getting tested be in todays numbers?

Yep that is true.
    My point is though, and I think you agree-correct me if I’m wrong, that there is a **** load of countries in the 3rd world who won’t be getting vaccines and who will become a breeding ground for new strains a la Brazil/UK/south Africa.
    A new strain could come along that is “immune” to current vaccines and would require more than a tweak to the inner workings of the vaccine.
    If we don’t have a fairly solid quarantine control in place it WILL find its way here.
    Again sorry if I have presumed you are in agreement with me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Renjit wrote: »
    It's pretty simple though. Keep the cases under 100 or so. Any measures taken revolve around the numbers.

Well eventually case numbers won't matter so much as hospitalisations/deaths - won't matter if thousands of us have covid if it's just a sniffle and doesn't cause issues. Hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Our government could have all but killed this off by closing airports at, by the very latest, last August.

They allowed the airports to stay open to bring in people over Christmas from one of the most infested regions in the world. Their line of defence was to ask people politely not to come.

Remember, not a single member of the cabinet is a penny poorer because of Covid, and never will be, save for the odd one who may be having more difficulty renting one of their properties out.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Even if you don’t agree with anything else this poster has said you can’t deny that. Really makes you think.

Yep that is true.
    My point is though, and I think you agree-correct me if I’m wrong, that there is a **** load of countries in the 3rd world who won’t be getting vaccines and who will become a breeding ground for new strains a la Brazil/UK/south Africa.
    A new strain could come along that is “immune” to current vaccines and would require more than a tweak to the inner workings of the vaccine.
    If we don’t have a fairly solid quarantine control in place it WILL find its way here.

Not just that but the west will need to provide all the boosters and yearly jabs to much of the 3rd world going forward

Its obviously in our interests to do so

I think it’s more about the government being completely inept rather than them controlling us to be fair.

Malcomex wrote: »
    Not just that but the west will need to provide all the boosters and yearly jabs to much of the 3rd world going forward

Its obviously in our interests to do so

Agreed, the sooner we start giving a percentage to them the better but this conversation isn’t even on the agenda at the moment! Surprised the WHO haven’t made a bigger deal about it, I know they’ve said one or two things but they’re not as loud as they should be IMO.

The airports are a sh1t show right now

The government have literally not decided what to do so are doing nothing

In time there will be europe and UK wide restrictions on certain countries

For now the virus and it's mutations are free to enter the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Well eventually case numbers won't matter so much as hospitalisations/deaths - won't matter if thousands of us have covid if it's just a sniffle and doesn't cause issues. Hopefully anyway.

Deaths numbers are of little relevance due to the qualifying criteria. A breakdown of how many of these people were seriously ill at the time of death will never be provided.

I counted on RIP.ie last week on a particular day 150 deaths. The same date last year had 120 deaths. While that may seem a 25% jump, it will be of interest to see if, once this surge has passed, whether deaths in March, April, May and June are significantly down on the same months in 2019.

What can I say. I believe absolutely nothing from a government that is still claiming that 2% of cases are related to travel. You can conspiracy theory yak all you want, when our government gives us misleading and disingenuous statements like that it is no wonder nobody under age 60 trusts them any more, bar a few leftie cranks who are delighted to be on the dole.

• Advertisement

Parachutes wrote: »
    The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Even if you don’t agree with anything else this poster has said you can’t deny that. Really makes you think.

Think what? That the government are trying to control us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Today numbers include close contacts being tested? Still decreasing but the rate has slowed which is probably expected

Yep that is true.
    Well, Biontech and Moderna seem very confident they can tweak quickly. AZ too, are looking at new versions for the known variants. It's what they do with flu' vaccines every year. The only issue now is how quickly they might spread in an unvaccinated public. With vaccinations complete that should be far less of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

aziz wrote: »
    “Extremely concerned “

It’s one phrase I never want to again when this is over

What are they extremely concerned about now?

I tell you what I'm concerned about, a combination of sh1te weather and restrictions has my head melted with not being able to do anything enjoyable or fun anymore. Serious cabin fever going on.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Today numbers include close contacts being tested? Still decreasing but the rate has slowed which is probably expected
    Probably does, they started on Friday.

Well, Biontech and Moderna seem very confident they can tweak quickly. AZ, too are looking at new versions for the known variants. It's what they do with flu' vaccines every year. The only issue now is how quickly they might spread in an unvaccinated public. With vaccinations complete that should be far less of a problem.

Again 100% agreed however when the virus goes out of control in the 3rd world there’s more of a chance of more new strains that have a potential to become immune to the vaccine.

Again 100% agreed however when the virus goes out of control in the 3rd world there’s more of a chance of more new strains that have a potential to become immune to the vaccine.
    A year on , it hasn't really done that. There have been lots of strains of this anyway, most of them haven't been of much concern and we've only had 1-2 which are a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

If you believe the government have an ulterior motive, being it to Conspiracy Theories forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Any further insinuating "something" is going on & you will be threadbanned.

A year on , it hasn't really done that. There have been lots of strains of this anyway, most of them haven't been of much concern and we've only had 1-2 which are a worry.

Yeah the worry is that one comes along that the vaccine only provides 10-20% effectiveness against which isn’t out of the question.
    A good quarantine border control system takes that problem off the table. Like a safety net I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sun 31 - 1247
    Sat 30 - 1414
    Fri 29 - 1247
    Thr 28 - 1463
    Wed 27 - 1331
    Tue 26 - 926
    Mon 25 - 1396

7 day average 1289

Sun 24 -1370
    Sat 23 - 1905