Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Because I consider 40 to be the birth of becoming old, but 30 to be young.

35 seems to be a realistic compromise benchmark when we talk about "the young". Many people who died aged 37-48 etc. are being considered in the same category as 18-34 i.e. "young" and "under 65" - and I think that's a misleading way of representing "the young".

What nonsense is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

35 seems to be a realistic compromise benchmark when we talk about "the young". Many people who died aged 37-48 etc. are being considered in the same category as 18-34 i.e. "young" and "under 65" - and I think that's a misleading way of representing "the young".

Sweet Jesus on a bike!

I despair for this country at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

aziz wrote: »

It’s like the recession all over again

“We all partied “

As a society, we did.
    Obviously individually, many (including me, and my family) didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

If our government wanted to get rid of Covid it would have.

Covid is with us because it allows for control. Covid will be banished when the government decides it has run its course and we have been broken enough.

Covid would have been wiped out by July if Mehole and Leo were put on 350 per week until the job was done.

Occam's razor works here instead of some larger conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Reading some of the comments it's fair to say the reaction to that photo was "mixed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Do we not want someone like Big Phil running things; someone who is not scared of the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I consider you to be an idiot. But I wouldn't let it get in the way of you getting a vaccine.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Genuine question : Why do you want to know and why the 35 cutoff point?

Fan of Logan’s run i’d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

That's mad, not a mask to be seen either. Whatever their decisions, seems so foolish to post that on his twitter!

It was on his bucket list, remember his saying it while back and back in December when that picture was taken cases where ranging between 0 and 5 for a long time.
    Maybe he thought it was worth it and maybe his family has been self isolating before he arrived. We don't know how he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So they carted him over to Barbados of all places passing through airports/public transport hubs etc and god knows how many ppl in contact with him before they arrived. And whatever the venue itself is like.

Seems heartless that the family had so little regard for his health :/

It was on his bucket list to do before he would die.
    Seem heartless you blame the family, they were just carrying out his orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

Am I naive to think thats an old photo and they and hoping to see times like that again, look at the hashtag.

Edit, just seen zx7r post. Yeah, maybe his wish but thats a crazy decision by his family, we're all in this together my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

So they carted him over to Barbados of all places passing through airports/public transport hubs etc and god knows how many ppl in contact with him before they arrived. And whatever the venue itself is like.

Seems heartless that the family had so little regard for his health :/

Hes over 100 years old and was on his bucket list apparently. I hope my family act as heartless if I get to that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There seems to be growing coverage of the California variant which appears to have emerged in Los Angelas and is now reportedly showing up in 50% of cases in Southern California.

It seems to only be hitting news on this side of the Atlantic in the last day or so:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-new-variant-blamed-for-surge-in-coronavirus-deaths-in-los-angeles-12204020

But has been getting a lot of coverage in the US for a few days:

https://www.businessinsider.com/los-angeles-coronavirus-surge-california-variant-2021-1?r=US&IR=T

The UK variant is also popping up in various parts of the US: https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2021/01/california-covid-19-variant-detected-in-multiple-oregon-counties-uk-variant-pops-up-in-bend.html and that's despite extremely tight travel restrictions from the UK, Ireland and Europe to the US.

It looks like we're going to see a lot more variants as this progresses, particularly in places with high numbers of active cases. It's also inevitable that there are lots of other variants already out there undetected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hes over 100 years old and was on his bucket list apparently. I hope my family act as heartless if I get to that age.

No, you’d expect the family to look out for YOUR best interests.

ZX7R wrote: »
    It was on his bucket list to do before he would die.
    Seem heartless you blame the family, they were just carrying out his orders.

You’d expect them to step back and work out what his best interests were. Once vaccinated bring him to Barbados and have a ball...too late now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

prunudo wrote: »
    Am I naive to think thats an old photo and they and hoping to see times like that again, look at the hashtag.

Edit, just seen zx7r post. Yeah, maybe his wish but thats a crazy decision by his family, we're all in this together my arse.

Afraid you are. He's wearing his latest medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do we not want someone like Big Phil running things; someone who is not scared of the virus?
    I wouldn't trust that tosser to run a bath, the arrogant eejit that he is.

If captain Tom was going on about wanting to go to Barbados for his bucket list the family should step back, reason it out, and compromise by saying yes captain Tom, we will go, ONCE you’ve had the vaccine. And we will have a ball with you over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

There seems to be growing coverage of the California variant which appears to have emerged in Los Angelas and is now reportedly showing up in 50% of cases in Southern California.

It seems to only be hitting news on this side of the Atlantic in the last day or so:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-new-variant-blamed-for-surge-in-coronavirus-deaths-in-los-angeles-12204020

But has been getting a lot of coverage in the US for a few days:

https://www.businessinsider.com/los-angeles-coronavirus-surge-california-variant-2021-1?r=US&IR=T

The UK variant is also popping up in various parts of the US: https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2021/01/california-covid-19-variant-detected-in-multiple-oregon-counties-uk-variant-pops-up-in-bend.html and that's despite extremely tight travel restrictions from the UK, Ireland and Europe to the US.

It looks like we're going to see a lot more variants as this progresses, particularly in places with high numbers of active cases. It's also inevitable that there are lots of other variants already out there undetected.

Hopefully the variants will start to develop weaker mutations.

Have they said what the characteristics of the LA strain are (rapid spread, more lethal)?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Afraid you are. He's wearing his latest medal.

I need to work on my cynicism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(film)

Iaot.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The 7 day average worldwide has been dropping for the past two weeks, it was 541k yesterday, the lowest since the start of November.

Anybody know what's driving this? It appears to be the first time there has been a sustained decline in cases globally since it all started.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hopefully the variants will start to develop weaker mutations.
    I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess these things like this can go one of two ways, and a worse outcome cannot be discounted. Of course those that are worse will be the ones that grab the headlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

mcburns07 wrote: »
    The 7 day average worldwide has been dropping for the past two weeks, it was 541k yesterday, the lowest since the start of November.

Anybody know what's driving this? It appears to be the first time there has been a sustained decline in cases globally since it all started.

It's because Joe Biden is President of America ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You’d expect them to step back and work out what his best interests were. Once vaccinated bring him to Barbados and have a ball...too late now

How do you know if the family didn't carry out what was in his best interests .
    for all we know he may an underlying medical condition that could prevent him from travelling next year or even receiving the vaccine.

prunudo wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe his wish but thats a crazy decision by his family,

Yes, it's bonkers. They might have cruelly killed this 100-year-old in the prime of his life with all those years stretching ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

County cases per day average over the last two weeks. In brackets is what it was two weeks ago.

Dublin 584 (1695)
    Cork 165 (614)
    Galway 79 (202)
    Kildare 72 (191)
    Meath 70 (171)
    Limerick 69 (265)
    Wexford 68 (193)
    Louth 68 (204)
    Waterford 57 (171)
    Donegal 55 (158)
    Mayo 53 (156)
    Monaghan 47 (117)
    Tipperary 44 (109)
    Wicklow 35 (81)
    Carlow 30 (68)
    Offaly 28 (55)
    Cavan 27 (78)
    Clare 26 (124)
    Kerry 25 (110)
    Laois 23 (58)
    Westmeath 20 (45)
    Sligo 17 (39)
    Kilkenny 17 (81)
    Longford 11 (21)
    Roscommon 10 (43)
    Leitrim 5 (13)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

If captain Tom was going on about wanting to go to Barbados for his bucket list the family should step back, reason it out, and compromise by saying yes captain Tom, we will go, ONCE you’ve had the vaccine. And we will have a ball with you over there.

I think you'll find that having lived for 100 years he is quite capable of making that decision himself. Far too many people seem to think they have the right to make decisions for older relatives during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

polesheep wrote: »
    I think you'll find that having lived for 100 years he is quite capable of making that decision himself. Far too many people seem to think they have the right to make decisions for older relatives during the pandemic.

Exactly. Why blame the family. I am sure he has a brain and can make decisions for himself.

• Advertisement

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Yes, it's bonkers. They might have cruelly killed this 100-year-old in the prime of his life with all those years stretching ahead of him.

Doesn't matter whether he was in the prime of his life or not, we're not supposed to flying around the world on holiday.
    I don't care how much money he raised, we all have to abide by the rules and do the right things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement