Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

spakman wrote: »
    aziz wrote: »

As a society, we did.
    Obviously individually, many (including me, and my family) didn't.

I spent all of christmas by myself - camping on the side of a mountain in Mayo.
    Hashtag True Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

polesheep wrote: »
    I think you'll find that having lived for 100 years he is quite capable of making that decision himself. Far too many people seem to think they have the right to make decisions for older relatives during the pandemic.

Whoever made the decision he is now in hospital requiring medical aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If I make it to 100, fight nazis and raise over 30 million for charity, my family will do whatever the **** I tell them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

prunudo wrote: »
    Doesn't matter whether he was in the prime of his life or not, we're not supposed to flying around the world on holiday.
    I don't care how much money he raised, we all have to abide by the rules and do the right things.

Do some research before having a go.
    Photo in Barbados was 18th December. Bedfordshire was in Tier 2 till Sat 19th

"Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and all of Hertfordshire will move into England's highest tier of coronavirus restrictions.

The government has announced these areas, currently in tier two, will be tier three from 00:01 GMT on Saturday.
    "

Tier 2 allows You can travel abroad, but you should only travel with people in your household or support bubble

December 22 was when barbados etc started to restrict uk flights in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

spookwoman wrote: »
    Do some research before having a go.
    Photo in Barbados was 18th December. Bedfordshire was in Tier 2 till Sat 19th

"Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and all of Hertfordshire will move into England's highest tier of coronavirus restrictions.

The government has announced these areas, currently in tier two, will be tier three from 00:01 GMT on Saturday.
    "

Tier 2 allows You can travel abroad, but you should only travel with people in your household or support bubble

December 22 was when barbados etc started to restrict uk flights in

Okay, apologises, technically he was allowed leave the country, doesn't mean it is wise or right thing to do. We've been told for the last ten months not to travel needlessly.

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    What nonsense is this?

Let's not get distracted. The original question is left unanswered - whether anyone is privy to the knowledge of how many under-35s have been unfortunate enough to have died with the virus over the entire duration of the pandemic?

I think it would be illuminating to know the answer to this question, not least perhaps because many, if not most, posters here are probably under the age of 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Let's not get distracted. The original question is left unanswered - whether anyone is privy to the knowledge of how many under-35s have been unfortunate enough to have died with the virus?

I think it would be illuminating to know the answer to this question, not least perhaps because many, if not most, posters here are probably under the age of 35 years.

Even if you get the answer they could have had serious health issues, obesity etc, as for the most posters being under 35 I think you would be wrong there.

Even if you get the answer they could have had serious health issues, obesity etc, as for the most posters being under 35 I think you would be wrong there.

I'd say you're probably right there. I'd still like to know the figure.

One of the irritating things that NPHET is doing is not relaying these kinds of figures to the public. Most other European countries can easily access this data, whereas in Ireland it's shrouded behind a smokescreen of thousands of PDFs and government documents.

Nothing simple to access or find. There's always trouble locating this kind of accumulated data.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Because I consider 40 to be the birth of becoming old, but 30 to be young.

35 seems to be a realistic compromise benchmark when we talk about "the young". Many people who died aged 37-48 etc. are being considered in the same category as 18-34 i.e. "young" and "under 65" - and I think that's a misleading way of representing "the young".

I think if someone died aged 37-48 regardless of cause it would be considered young tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there a county breakdown today?

• Advertisement

Whoever made the decision he is now in hospital requiring medical aid.

He. Is. 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there a county breakdown today?

It was posted

Leitrim has hit zero covid again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Malcomex wrote: »
    It was posted

Leitrim has hit zero covid again

Maybe they should shut their borders. Open things up but hunt down any cases ala Perth with 5 day intense lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

prunudo wrote: »
    Doesn't matter whether he was in the prime of his life or not, we're not supposed to flying around the world on holiday.
    I don't care how much money he raised, we all have to abide by the rules and do the right things.

Is there any suggestion that he became infected while in Barbados? If that was before Christmas it would have been a month ago so surely he more than likely became infected after that.

If he developed Penumonia out there (which prevented him from being vaccinated) then that is a different matter...but sure he could have developed Pneumonia anywhere at anytime in a world with or without Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If captain Tom was going on about wanting to go to Barbados for his bucket list the family should step back, reason it out, and compromise by saying yes captain Tom, we will go, ONCE you’ve had the vaccine. And we will have a ball with you over there.

He's not a child ffs. He's an adult perfectly capable of making his own decisions in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I've a 96 year old grandmother living a good life in her own home in South Dublin.

If I found out that members of my family brought her to the airport and got on a long haul flight with her to Barbados, I'd ransack their homes while they were away.

Whether it was her idea or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've a 96 year old grandmother living a good life in her own home in South Dublin.

If I found out that members of my family brought her to the airport and got on a long haul flight with her to Barbados, I'd ransack their homes while they were away.

Jeasus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Jeasus

No shortage of control freaks.

Why?

Isn't it obvious?

Why expose an obviously vulnerable person to needless, avoidable high-risk situations?

And this takes on added gravity when the people who need to take care of the vulnerable most - namely, family - are the same people increasing exposure to the virus.

And that's without even considering that the vaccine is to be administered to this high-risk category over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Isn't it obvious?

Why expose an obviously vulnerable person to needless, avoidable high-risk situations?

And this takes on added gravity when the people who need to take care of the vulnerable most - namely, family - are the same people increasing exposure to the virus.

And that's without even considering that the vaccine is to be administered to this high-risk category over the coming weeks.

At what age do you suggest we stop allowing people to make their own decisions and just do what their relatives tell them to?

Why?

Why would I be angry at family members for risking the life of my grandmother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Thread on fire

100 year old man dies of covid in Barbados , no sign of masks

At what age do you suggest we stop allowing people to make their own decisions and just do what their relatives tell them to?

Well when they reach a point when they can't do it for themselves is a reasonable point at which to start pushing back on any mad ideas they might have. If indeed it really was his idea.

Not one person has suggested mind-controlling the elderly and what they can do (unless, of course, they cannot make decisions for themselves).

The elderly and most vulnerable can do as they wish.

What we are asking for is that responsible decision-making takes place. If a family is telling a high-risk relative to ignore guidance and "have a vacation anyway", that is freedom yes - but it is also the summit of irresponsibility.

Not one person has suggested mind-controlling the elderly and what they can do (unless, of course, they cannot make decisions for themselves).

The elderly and most vulnerable can do as they wish.

What we are asking for is that responsible decision-making takes place. If a family is telling a high-risk relative to ignore guidance and "have a vacation anyway", that is freedom yes - but it is also the summit of irresponsibility.

You are the one suggesting telling older people what they should do.

Well when they reach a point when they can't do it for themselves is a reasonable point at which to start pushing back on any mad ideas they might have. If indeed it really was his idea.

So you have carried out a medical evaluation of Tom and decided that he is not compos mentis?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

You would ransack their homes hahaha

How is that in anyway a rational response to anything?

do you have any idea how mental you sound?

Completely undermines any of your contributions on this forum. You're clearly hysterical and incapable of thinking about this rationally.

You are the one suggesting telling older people what they should do.

Wtf is the problem with that exactly?

Nobody should be going on holiday right now. It's ****ing mental.
    Captain Tom shouldn't. My nan shouldn't. I shouldn't. You shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Wtf is the problem with that exactly?

Nobody should be going on holiday right now. It's ****ing mental.
    Captain Tom shouldn't. My nan shouldn't. I shouldn't. You shouldn't.

I'd say you could probably break into captain Tom's house and ransack it while he's in hospital

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement