Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

patnor1011 wrote: »
    One experience with test&trace I have is that a lot of people simply do not tell the truth. They opt to say they met with nobody as it is easier for them. Some of them genuinely do not remember others just lie.

Part of the reason we're having crude lockdowns
    instead of more comprehensive restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Malcomex wrote: »
    Part of the reason we're having crude lockdowns
    instead of more comprehensive restrictions

Yes.
    Question however is how long can we afford to keep them going? We were pretty much bankrupt barely servicing interest way before covid came.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus on a bike!

I despair for this country at times.

Why?

Under-35 is certifiably young, whereas 40 or so is heading into the realm of middle-aged - when diseases often start to pop up. 36 is on the border of young, but we need to draw the line somewhere - the same as what we do with "over-65s" etc.

Knowing how many under-35s in Ireland have died from the virus is a noteworthy figure.
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I think you're wrong on every count there. Age out of context tells you nothing. Age is immaterial as it's a life lost regardless. Your definition of elderly is obviously in cloud cuckoo land. And the under 35s are hardly the predominant age group here.

Are those over 35 not also unfortunate to have died?

They are unfortunate, but I and most others here would like to know how many people in Ireland died from the virus under 35-years.

Does anyone know?

I can't find the data.
    patnor1011 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way that restrictions will be lifted this year or even next year and life will return to what it was say 2019.

There is speculation, and then there is hyperbole.

Your post is a toxic synthesis of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Happy Imbolc!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hadn't seen this posted here. First transfer of an ICU paitent with assistance of the Air Corp.

Well done to all involved, a massive step forward that this is now possible if needed.
    Great achievement. I imagine they did about 50 drills of this, but the first actual patient would have been nerve wracking.

Hospital numbers decent. Down 419 (22%) between last Monday and today. Another week like that and we'll be at ~ 1,200 next Monday. If the pace of discharges increases though (which it might), we could be below 1,000, which would be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Why?

Under-35 is certifiably young, whereas 40 or so is heading into the realm of middle-aged - when diseases often start to pop up. 36 is on the border of young, but we need to draw the line somewhere - the same as what we do with "over-65s" etc.

Knowing how many under-35s in Ireland have died from the virus is a noteworthy figure.

They are unfortunate, but I and most others here would like to know how many people in Ireland died from the virus under 35-years.

Does anyone know?

I can't find the data.

There is speculation, and then there is hyperbole.

Your post is a toxic synthesis of both.

Agreed, as soon as nursing homes and hospitals are fully vaccinated the death and serious illness rate will implode, and yes this is speculation too but coming from many quarters and once it manifests there will be little appetite for anything greater than level 3 restrictions.

In a way the Gardai handing out fines to people off on their holidays will increase pressure to lift restrictions then too, "If I can't ignore the restrictions I'll give out about them".

Once the over 60's and vulnerable vaccinations gain momentum heading into summer it's all over, masks gone, pubs open. I wonder what all the shroud wavers will complain about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Good article here on why some countries are doing really well during COVID and why some countries aren't. Rule breaking countries like the UK and Ireland tend to be coming out worse - https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/feb/01/loose-rule-breaking-culture-covid-deaths-societies-pandemic

Which is why there's not much point in comparing Ireland to Singapore or Taiwan, which some people have tried to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am a close contact of a close contact to a confirmed Positive case. The close contact is due to get tested tomorrow. Do I have to? I have no symptoms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

blackcard wrote: »
    I am a close contact of a close contact to a confirmed Positive case. The close contact is due to get tested tomorrow. Do I have to? I have no symptoms

You don't have to get tested unless your friend who is your close contact is positive afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

I see RTE have been called out, in some form, for all their gloom and doom on twitter by some people. And about time too imo. It was one of 3 articles that caught my eye when I opened my laptop this morning. Then in the same feed you have these next articles one after the other

https://extra.ie/2021/02/01/news/irish-news/back-to-school-hope
    https://extra.ie/2021/02/01/news/irish-news/covid-19-detected-in-irish-schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

You could isolate instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seamus wrote: »
    Great achievement. I imagine they did about 50 drills of this, but the first actual patient would have been nerve wracking.

Hospital numbers decent. Down 419 (22%) between last Monday and today. Another week like that and we'll be at ~ 1,200 next Monday. If the pace of discharges increases though (which it might), we could be below 1,000, which would be amazing.

Firstly, this is a real tangible result of the efforts of the population to adhere to the restrictions. We went from a position where things were pretty much out of control to now being in a position to suppress significantly by the end of this month.

Secondly, the efforts of our health services have been extraordinary. They are constantly criticised yet have stood up to be counted in what has been a real national emergency. Perhaps this should be remembered in 12 and 24 months time when the media and politicians criticise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I know some people have been concerned about hospital numbers going up over the last two days.

Discharges tend to decline over the weekends. The hospital admissions numbers today is the lowest since 4 January. That is great progress.

On this, you are a secondary contact so will not need to be tested until the primary contact tests positive.

May be no harm to restrict movements if you can, however, maybe you could look at the history of the contacts. When did the person who tested positive have symptoms, when did the close contact have contact with that person. When were you last in contact with the close contact.

If, for example, the person tested positive Friday, and were in close contact with the person Thursday, the contact is extremely unlikely to have been infectious before Sunday. So if your contact with them was before Sunday for example, the risks to you are pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Good article here on why some countries are doing really well during COVID and why some countries aren't. Rule breaking countries like the UK and Ireland tend to be coming out worse - https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/feb/01/loose-rule-breaking-culture-covid-deaths-societies-pandemic

Which is why there's not much point in comparing Ireland to Singapore or Taiwan, which some people have tried to do.

Really not sure how I feel about this article.

Firstly, while I get that it’s just an opinion and an interesting one, the undertone of pointing out the “weakness” of so-called “loose cultures” is a fairly dangerous one. This is all the more so as, once the pandemic subsides and the full long-lasting effects of the socioeconomic crisis become clear — there will be a risk globally of the rise of extremist politics. This is something to which I fear we are being dangerously blind.

Secondly, there’s an inherent problem in how the author poses the Covid virus as being akin to an existential threat to society. She talks about famines and the extinction of the Dodo as if Covid were on a similar plane — and uses these examples as some sort of demonstration / allegory of the West’s poor reactionary capability. But the author misses the crucial point — the reason people have not reacted to Covid as if it were an existential threat, is because it is not an existential threat. Its lethality is confined, in the main, to very old people. It does not pose a major threat to most of the young and economically active. So this evolutionary reaction to self-preserve which the author writes about does not apply — because people will not feel threatened by something which does not threaten them.

There is undoubtedly a good deal of sense in the author’s rationale, but the application of evolutionary theory seems a bit short-horned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

OwenM wrote: »
    Agreed, as soon as nursing homes and hospitals are fully vaccinated the death and serious illness rate will implode, and yes this is speculation too but coming from many quarters and once it manifests there will be little appetite for anything greater than level 3 restrictions.

In a way the Gardai handing out fines to people off on their holidays will increase pressure to lift restrictions then too, "If I can't ignore the restrictions I'll give out about them".

Once the over 60's and vulnerable vaccinations gain momentum heading into summer it's all over, masks gone, pubs open. I wonder what all the shroud wavers will complain about then.

This is wrong it’s hard to know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Really not sure how I feel about this article.

...But the author misses the crucial point — the reason people have not reacted to Covid as if it were an existential threat, is because it is not an existential threat.

But how does this explain why Asian countries have dealt better with the virus compared to Western 'looser' states?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sun 31 - 1247
    Sat 30 - 1414
    Fri 29 - 1247
    Thr 28 - 1463
    Wed 27 - 1331
    Tue 26 - 926
    Mon 25 - 1396

7 day average 1289

Sun 24 -1370
    Sat 23 - 1905
    Fri 22 - 2357
    Thr 21 - 2598
    Wed 20 - 2485
    Tue 19 - 1996
    Mon 18 - 2117

7 day average 2118

Should we expect the numbers of positives to get a bit inflated this week, with the resumption of testing contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Should we expect the numbers of positives to get a bit inflated this week, with the resumption of testing contacts?

Philip Nolan said they might go up by 10% or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

tom1ie wrote: »
    This is wrong it’s hard to know where to start.

There's a place in the thread for these type comedy posts and the conspiracy posts ,not to mention the armchair epidemiologists

All adds to the enjoyment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Posted in the vaccine thread, this isn't a new announcement, don't know why they're bringing it up again.

See below from 8th January.

"And I am particularly pleased that 75 million doses of this order will already be available as of quarter two onwards."

Looks like they've just recommitted to delvierying some of the new order in Q2, they aren't "additional doses" per say

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/statement_21_46

I wonder has the government already factored this supply into the plan?

Irish MEPs Billy Kelleher and Barry Andrews said that this would mean an extra 825,000 doses for Ireland, meaning that 412,500 more people will be vaccinated in the second quarter of the year (April, May and June).

That makes up for the 200,000 shortfall in AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Pdoghue wrote: »
    But how does this explain why Asian countries have dealt better with the virus compared to Western 'looser' states?

As I said, there is a level of sound rationale in what the author is writing — it’s possibly / probably a contributory factor but it’s the fact she specifically disregards other contributory factors and then descends into a clumsily applied and over-intellectualised evolutionary theory which I take issue with.

She puts Japan and Mexico together as comparators and bombastically claims that the reason behind the difference is nothing to do with wealth, health service quality, age profiles, climate, air quality or anything else. Furthermore, there seems to be no regard given to the fact that some Asian countries have developed mechanisms from previous experiences with SARS and other sinister respiratory viruses. There appears to be no room, from what she is writing, that the reason might be a combination of some or all of those factors as well as culture. No — instead she rests her hat on “its all about culture and here”s why”.

I then take issue with application of evolutionary theory because she is (in my opinion anyway) misapplying it. If a deadly virus was circulating the land indiscriminately striking down anyone it infected, the reaction of people (even in these apparently loose cultures) would be different because they would act out of self-preservation. If you have a virus like Covid which mainly poses its threat to a particular strand of society, those “not threatened” will not act to self-preserve when there is no threat.

It’s all well and good talking about “loose cultures”, but applying theory clumsily to it is dangerous because there has to be a concluding question — “what do we do about it?”. Do we all just learn our lesson and move on, or does the question go further as to ask whether we need laws to ‘tighten’ our society and give governments greater power to protect us ‘loose’ people from ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Pdoghue wrote: »

I think they kind of prove the article's point, those societies have shown solidarity while "loose" societies contain members who think it's fine to break the rules because it will mostly only kill old people and vulnerable people and sure who cares about their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Hadn't seen this posted here. First transfer of an ICU paitent with assistance of the Air Corp.

Well done to all involved, a massive step forward that this is now possible if needed.

The Air Corps doing what it does best... whatever it can, whenever it can, with its limited equipment and resources.

I note they also carried out an emergency neonatal transfer on Jan 28th, along with a UN personnel rotation flight to Western Sahara and 12 covid test sample delivery flights to Munich, during Jan 2021 alone.

Great work, done quietly and effectively.

https://twitter.com/IrishAirCorps

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I wonder has the government already factored this supply into the plan?

Irish MEPs Billy Kelleher and Barry Andrews said that this would mean an extra 825,000 doses for Ireland, meaning that 412,500 more people will be vaccinated in the second quarter of the year (April, May and June).

That makes up for the 200,000 shortfall in AZ

We are still getting the AZ doses, just not before the end of March. Q2 will see a massive vaccination campaign.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We are still getting the AZ doses, just not before the end of March. Q2 will see a massive vaccination campaign.

Q2 is shaping up to be a massive quarter. We’ll likely be swimming in vaccines by then with 4-5 different vaccines coming along with increased deliveries.

Hopefully swimming in pints soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

OwenM wrote: »

You are mistaken about mask wearing being over by the summer. That will be in place for the foreseeable future. Gastro pubs may reopen by late spring/early summer. Wet pubs will remain closed until the autumn at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

You are mistaken about mask wearing being over by the summer. That will be in place for the foreseeable future. Gastro pubs may reopen by late spring/early summer. Wet pubs will remain closed until the autumn at the earliest.

as much fun as it is to second guess what will happen nobody knows...

what we do know is the Israel and to a lesser extend UK will form the basis for our future restrictions as they will be a leading indicator of what works and what doesn't work given Israel is approx 3-4 months ahead of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

marno21 wrote: »
    Q2 is shaping up to be a massive quarter. We’ll likely be swimming in vaccines by then with 4-5 different vaccines coming along with increased deliveries.

Hopefully swimming in pints soon after.

Worrying news coming in that all of the vaccines inhibit the ability of drinkers to distinguish a good beer. Seemingly Budweiser is ramping up production to high levels as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

UK gov extremely worried about SA variant. Mobilising door to door testing and holding press conference this evening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55889391

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement