Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

OwenM wrote: »
    Agreed, as soon as nursing homes and hospitals are fully vaccinated the death and serious illness rate will implode, and yes this is speculation too but coming from many quarters and once it manifests there will be little appetite for anything greater than level 3 restrictions.

In a way the Gardai handing out fines to people off on their holidays will increase pressure to lift restrictions then too, "If I can't ignore the restrictions I'll give out about them".

Once the over 60's and vulnerable vaccinations gain momentum heading into summer it's all over, masks gone, pubs open. I wonder what all the shroud wavers will complain about then.

I'm sorry but you are very wide of the mark with regard to the impact of vaccinations. No way will mask wearing be gone by summer and all pubs will certainly not be opened so quickly.
    I've said it before but vaccination is not the panacea many imagine it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

You are mistaken about mask wearing being over by the summer. That will be in place for the foreseeable future. Gastro pubs may reopen by late spring/early summer. Wet pubs will remain closed until the autumn at the earliest.

The masks is the big mystery

I'm thinking they will eventually be optional , anyone vulnerable can wear a surgical grade mask

Government will be in no hurry to drop them yet as there's little cost involved aside from the negative social aspect

UK gov extremely worried about SA variant. Mobilising door to door testing and holding press conference this evening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55889391

Lol

Article says different

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know some people have been concerned about hospital numbers going up over the last two days.

Discharges tend to decline over the weekends. The hospital admissions numbers today is the lowest since 4 January. That is great progress.
    +1

We saw 154 discharges last Monday, resulting in a drop of ~120 in the hospital figures. No reason we shouldn't see similar tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Malcomex wrote: »
    Lol

Article says different

I would imagine the action of spinning up immediate door to door testing speaks for itself, regardless of what it says in the article.

• Advertisement

I would imagine the action of spinning up immediate door to door testing speaks for itself, regardless of what it says in the article.

I'm not seeing it

UK Government seems content

Looks like BBC just threw in the word "urgent" to grab attention

There's so much of this going on now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

patnor1011 wrote: »
    One experience with test&trace I have is that a lot of people simply do not tell the truth. They opt to say they met with nobody as it is easier for them. Some of them genuinely do not remember others just lie.

Does anyone know what kind of questions contact tracers ask?

I live with someone who makes up his own rules. Had to get tested last summer and wouldn't tell anyone in the house because he saw it as nothing because he self diagnosed himself with a smoker's cough. It was only his workplace that didn't take his self diagnosis and told him to take time off and get tested.

He went out to get himself a girlfriend and ignores the household ban as well.

I'm worried that if he ever catches covid that he might not give my name as a contact as I stay in my room alot and limit my time with him.

Do contact tracers ask for all contacts including people they live with? If it was left up to him to figure out his close contacts, he will probably make up his own rules on that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You are mistaken about mask wearing being over by the summer. That will be in place for the foreseeable future. Gastro pubs may reopen by late spring/early summer. Wet pubs will remain closed until the autumn at the earliest.

All pubs will hopefully remain shut until people are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

All pubs will hopefully remain shut until people are vaccinated.

At least a good proportion of people. And outdoor beer gardens, outdoor food will be given an earlier reprieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to the Daily Telegraph, Britain will give Ireland priority in terms of the sharing of Covid vaccines. Under EU law, is our government allowed to accept such an offer?

• Advertisement

According to the Daily Telegraph, Britain will give Ireland priority in terms of the sharing of Covid vaccines. Under EU law, is our government allowed to accept such an offer?

They would have to be ,considering Germany was negotiating vaccine supplies independently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

At least a good proportion of people. And outdoor beer gardens, outdoor food will be given an earlier reprieve.

I suppose food outdoors without any drink should be considered when numbers are very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »

That will be the system going forward for new variants in conjunction with inward travel restrictions or quarantine

Nothing surprising

At least they've started on it unlike us

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are very wide of the mark with regard to the impact of vaccinations. No way will mask wearing be gone by summer and all pubs will certainly not be opened so quickly.
    I've said it before but vaccination is not the panacea many imagine it to be.

Deaths and hospitalisations down by a factor of 100? on what planet could you impose level 3 when this happens and that is what will happen by May or June.

What does a panacea look like to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I suppose food outdoors without any drink should be considered when numbers are very low.

Last summer when numbers were low we were able to drink inside and outside with a glass of wine. Since then you need to wear mask going to toilet, walking to your table etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-germany-sends-medical-team-and-gear-to-portugal/a-56397959

Portugal not in a good way at the moment, German military bringing in extra medical teams and equipment to the country, while ICU patients are being airlifted to Austria and Madeira to ease pressure. Nice to see these acts of European solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would think if it means more supply for rest of EU, EU wouldn't mind. Whether government would be willing to politically is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Once it's an approved vaccine and doesn't affect the supply of vaccines to the EU block I don't think there would be any objections.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would think if it means more supply for rest of EU, EU wouldn't mind. Whether government would be willing to politically is another issue.

We would be a special case because of the movement north and south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Stephen Donnelly now a figure of farce for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Name me a politician who isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why now?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why now?

Must be this thumbs up thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Fairly mental revelations in the Sunday Indo yesterday. They obtained all these emails and texts via the Freedom of Information act

Revealed: Dr Tony Holohan's warning to Health Minister on ‘weak’ border controls as emails and texts reveal tensions in the war on Covid-19

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-dr-tony-holohans-warning-to-health-minister-on-weak-border-controls-as-emails-and-texts-reveal-tensions-in-the-war-on-covid-19-40031632.html?__twitter_impression=true

Holohan told the Health Minister that those figures would be made public that evening, that his team would be looking at the numbers in more detail over the day and that he was available to discuss should he wish.
    Donnelly did not text back. Seven hours later Holohan texted again: "Minister, grateful if we could have a word. Finalising statement re cases. Thanks Tony."

<snip>

Malcomex wrote: »
    Must be this thumbs up thing
    Some people will be cheered up by that. TBH there's really no harm in them accentuating the positive. That utterly grim Tuesday briefing is still very fresh in many minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

25% of D2 now complete.

Your post is to long to read

Why is Donnelly messaging holohan about hare coursing and the 3 minks farms and ignoring more important matters?

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.dw.com/en/covid-germany-sends-medical-team-and-gear-to-portugal/a-56397959

Portugal not in a good way at the moment, German military bringing in extra medical teams and equipment to the country, while ICU patients are being airlifted to Austria and Madeira to ease pressure. Nice to see these acts of European solidarity.

Yes - and this is why the European Union needs to break up.

Their sheer incompetence over vaccines should hopefully prove the final nail in the coffin for this political malignancy; a monster that eats red tape for breakfast - and we've seen the toxic effects of that diet over the past several weeks.

European countries have shown that they can manage their own affairs better - individually - rather than collectively, with an unelected European Commission trying to foist non-existent solutions to every member state.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement