Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Yes - and this is why the European Union needs to break up.

Their sheer incompetence over vaccines should hopefully prove the final nail in the coffin for this political malignancy; a monster that eats red tape for breakfast - and we've seen the toxic effects of that diet over the past several weeks.

European countries have shown that they can manage their own affairs better - individually - rather than collectively, with an unelected European Commission trying to foist non-existent solutions to every member state.

Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I don't think anyone actually listens to Stephen Donnelly anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Their sheer incompetence over vaccines should hopefully prove the final nail in the coffin for this political malignancy; a monster that eats red tape for breakfast - and we've seen the toxic effects of that diet over the past several weeks.

European countries have shown that they can manage their own affairs better - individually - rather than collectively, with an unelected European Commission trying to foist non-existent solutions to every member state.

My spidey sense is tingling. Not a fan of the EU perhaps

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Name me a politician who isn't?

Simon Coveney, seems fairly balanced and decent with his brief

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Public meeting on now about zero covid - I wonder will there be a move towards this? Otherwise, sounds very grim in terms of further lockdowns for the rest of the year, regardless of a vaccine.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Name me a politician who isn't?

The Normal Foal?

timeToLive wrote: »
    I don't think anyone actually listens to Stephen Donnelly anyway

He seems to be an imposter

However I doubt he suffers from imposter syndrome

leahyl wrote: »
    Public meeting on now about zero covid - I wonder will there be a move towards this? Otherwise, sounds very grim in terms of further lockdowns for the rest of the year, regardless of a vaccine.:(

That would be a monumental mistake.

Can you explain your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Would zero covid not require similar if not more severe levels of lockdowns?

• Advertisement

Its not grim at all

Aside from the current lockdown the news is all good re vaccines and new variants

You mean the commission that has secured deals with all major manufacturers and has 3 supplies now providing vaccines for its citizens with more than enough committed to get everyone done by Autumn with hundreds of millions of extra doses coming on board in Q2? We would have been better off with a free for all where vaccines went to whomever bid the most

New Zealand don't seem to think so.

But for a shorter length of time, cos it's closing off international travel completely and would have to have a joint strategy with the North. I think there would be other measures as well but would ultimately (hopefully) ensure that there is no community transmission and if there were any cases, they could be isolated easily. I must admit I heard this crowd talking about this a few months ago and thought they were mad, but if they are saying that this will stop constant rolling lockdowns for months on end and being able to live a relatively normal life in our own country until the right amount of people have been vaccinated...surely that 's better? I dunno, just listening in, I'm not an expert or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nope, Phillip Nolan has described it as a false promise.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nope, Phillip Nolan has described it as a false promise.

And? He's one person, doesn't mean he knows everything.

A comment from someone on this meeting I'm listening into : "It should be noted that Prof Nolan has no expertise nor qualifications in Math Modelling. He has been disengenuous in misrepresenting the science behind Zero Covid." - from someone called Brian Harvey who, if it's the same person I found when I googled his name, is a professor in RCSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

He seems very incompetent at his job. The thumbs up thing is incredibly cringe.

And? He's one person, doesn't mean he knows everything.
    He advises NPHET on data modelling and they don't agree with it either. Nor do the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Eod100 wrote: »

This is the number I've been waiting for. More people have now received the vaccine than have contracted the disease (on record). Good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Yes it would. Perth has locked down yesterday (2 million people) because of one case.

He advises NPHET on data modelling and they don't agree with it either. Nor do the government.

A comment from someone on this meeting I'm listening into : "It should be noted that Prof Nolan has no expertise nor qualifications in Math Modelling. He has been disengenuous in misrepresenting the science behind Zero Covid." - from someone called Brian Harvey who, if it's the same person I found when I googled his name, is a professor in RCSI.

OwenM wrote: »
    Yes it would. Perth has locked down yesterday (2 million people) because of one case.

Not for months though....for 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not for months though....for 5 days

So, they are opening up in 5 days regardless?

I think what that article sums up is that Irish journalists are much more confortable talking about people and their relationships than numbers or science. Donnelly is a bit of a tool, but I would hope that far more than text exchanges weight into the decisions taken by government

He leads the team of modellers, just like the CMO leads NPHET. I believe he has done epidemiological modelling, which is what this is.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So, they are opening up in 5 days regardless?

it seems so....the case was traced to a security gaurd working at a quarantine hotel

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/covid-19-perth-in-lockdown-as-hotel-quarantine-security-guard-tests-positive-1.4472316%3fmode=amp

He leads the team of modellers, just like the CMO leads NPHET.

Yes I know what he does, what's your response to the comment made about his experience with modelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Is that you Nigel? Nonsense ranting.

• Advertisement

Yes I know what he does, what's your response to the comment made about his experience with modelling?
    Mathematical modelling is not the same thing. They have the data, probably a whole lot more than the person who made that claim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement