Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

seamus wrote: »
    Sunday: 1,153 positives on 17,649; 6.53%
    Today: 831 positives on 15,047; 5.52%

Oddly the csv data from geohive differs for Sunday

I make it 1,187 positive from 17649 tests. 6.7% pos rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Seems to be that Prof Philip Nolan attends both Press Conferences now

https://twitter.com/juneshannon/status/1356262592617074688?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

I see there's a webinar on today called "We Can Be Zero", attended by the zero covid supporters.

Has anyone heard any of them explain how we can get to zero covid with an open border with the North or are they asking for the border to be closed? I haven't heard any of them explain it.

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    I see there's a webinar on today called "We Can Be Zero", attended by the zero covid supporters.

Has anyone heard any of them explain how we can get to zero covid with an open border with the North or are they asking for the border to be closed? I haven't heard any of them explain it.

Expect it to be splashed all over the front page of the Indo tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1356259308107915270

Nice to see our closest neighbours getting back to complete normalcy already, taste of things to come for us eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

All this reveals is journalism looking create news that is not there, trying to make tensions between both groups when it isn't really any.
    I suppose if they can't create more fear they may as well make up some tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Oddly the csv data from geohive differs for Sunday

I make it 1,187 positive from 17649 tests. 6.7% pos rate.

I don't think so - I'm seeing 1153 in the raw data on geohub for Sunday.

It's looking increasingly likely that we're headed for some severe weather soon.

While some snow might be good for getting the numbers down, it could wreak havoc for our testing and vaccination programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why do you think this will be slow?
    Based on our past experience.

There is a floor to the positivity rate. We don't know what that is, but like a plane coming into land, it can be a long slow decline to that point.

We've locked down slightly harder than October, but not nearly as hard as April/May.

So we should be prepared for positivity rates to do a lot of bumping along the bottom as we approach the realistic minimum. The realistic minimum right now is probably in the region of 2-3%. Due to the fact that it's still winter for another month and there is a relatively large amount of economic activity taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

MattS1 wrote: »
    Does this mean only 831 cases today (excluding backlog)?

Anyone?

• Advertisement

I don't think so - I'm seeing 1153 in the raw data on geohub for Sunday.

My bad. Well, actually their bad.

I copied and pasted in the latest data into an existing spreadsheet. Turns out they have also updated the figures for the previous day.

Their bad, but still, sorry for wasting your time.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Anyone?

excluding backlog, it should be less than 831 cases

usually about 10% lower

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The current obsession with adding a thumbs up to Donnellys tweets is simply online bullying.

Same morons will be tweeting #bekind within a year

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

My bad. Well, actually their bad.

I copied and pasted in the latest data into an existing spreadsheet. Turns out they have also updated the figures for the previous day.

Their bad, but still, sorry for wasting your time.

I don't know how new this is, but they've been updating the previous day data since I've been keeping track of it. Usually it's just a few positive/total swabs, but sometimes it's more substantial (Saturday saw +711 total swabs but only +7 positive ones).
    In January the data was slightly revised for 22 days out of 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Galwayhurl wrote: »

If they don't have a catchy song to the tune of "We can be Heros", it's a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

A backlog of about 600 cases has built up since 27th January, so don't be surprised with higher than 1000 today

That's a nice backlog alright

Didn't realize it was that big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Yawn.

If Holohan put even a quarter of the effort into making the government crack down on travel in May/ June as he did in making them crack down on pubs, we would currently have between zero and 20 daily cases and we would have been drinking, albeit socially distanced, in pubs since the day wet pubs were meant to return last July.

No ifs no buts. No waaah but the cross continent truckers, no but we need the North to play ball. We would not have reached NZ/ Australia levels but neither would we have spent, it is looking like, circa 7- 8 months in almost full lockdown by the end of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

bb1234567 wrote: »

Nice to see our closest neighbours getting back to complete normalcy already, taste of things to come for us eventually

Have they scrapped masks and distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Malcomex wrote: »

Everything is stood down no restrictions

UK numbers heading in the right direction too. I am genuinely starting to see some light. Still far off, but we should have a much better collective prognosis across these islands at the end of this month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Everything is stood down no restrictions

Wow

How have they done it?

Zero covid and test trace isolate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Malcomex wrote: »

Yes they have but worth noting the following:

-borders are essentially fully closed even to mainland UK and Ireland
    - any essential entrants have a 21 day quarantine period or can pay for testing on day 1, 7 and 13
    - the isle of man has had a grand total of circa 450 cases since March
    - the Isle of Man essentially operates nearly completely independently of the UK save for foreign policy which obviously means nothing in context of COVID. They have taken a vastly different approach to the bumbling incompetence in Northern Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland. This also allowed them to nearly completely shut off any non essential travel.
    -Isle of Man previously went from mid May to the start of September without a single case.

If only we lived on an island and could have shut our borders completely save for absolutely essential entrants. Oh wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

global cases continue to fall quite dramatically. what exactly is going on?

541737.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

froog wrote: »

541737.JPG

Vaccination one would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

541737.JPG

Most of Europe and North America are in quite severe lockdowns.

Also, a lot of the world rather predictability saw catastrophic increases due to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

john4321 wrote: »
    img

The next two weeks are crucial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

bb1234567 wrote: »

Hate to break it to you......Hardly comparable now is it?
    • The island's border has been closed to almost all non-residents since 23 March.
    • Residents returning to the Isle of Man will be asked to pay for a Covid-19 test on arrival to "shore up our defences" against a new strain of the virus, the chief minister has said.
    • Those who refuse to be tested will be required to self-isolate for 21 days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-55410547

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Vaccination one would assume.

if that's the main driver even at early vaccination levels it's very very good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭sporina

It's an emoji of a thumbs up. Now maybe if he put his thumb up Holohan's backside it would be newsworthy.

Nothing story.

i see a meme in the making :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

541737.JPG

Dare we say it.....herd immunity :eek:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210129/herd-immunity-in-sight-for-indias-capital

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement