Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting dog nails

• 25-01-2021 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Looking for some guidance on cutting my dogs nails. Usually done like clock work with our groomer, and auto re booked app, but obviously not possible at the moment.
    I've been looking for a clippers on amazon, just wondering if there's one in particular that's better than others?
    Also, he has quite long quicks. His nails never look short no matter how much the groomer can take off because of this. So I assume slow, very very narrow slivers off is the best way to go?
    Any help/tips appreciated. I'm aware that the vets will do it too but he isn't Comfortable with visiting the vets at the best of times and certainly wouldn't be now that I can't go in with him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I bought these from Amazon about 12months ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Grade-Clippers-Thunderpaws-Protective-Safety/dp/B012KVI4YU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=P4FCQQL84K3R&dchild=1&keywords=dog+nails+clippers&qid=1611605407&sprefix=dog+nails%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-6

Was very scared at first of doing it but now it takes me a few mins, just make sure to use the safety shield, that is a little guard you pull under the cutting hole so nail cant go any further in.

it really is simple after a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

scudzilla wrote: »
    I bought these from Amazon about 12months ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Grade-Clippers-Thunderpaws-Protective-Safety/dp/B012KVI4YU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=P4FCQQL84K3R&dchild=1&keywords=dog+nails+clippers&qid=1611605407&sprefix=dog+nails%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-6

Was very scared at first of doing it but now it takes me a few mins, just make sure to use the safety shield, that is a little guard you pull under the cutting hole so nail cant go any further in.

it really is simple after a few times

Great, thanks for the link!
    Yes I'm very scared too, he's 8 and for the first year we brought him to one particular woman to cut them. Despite being walked in urban concrete areas most days and opportunities to dig etc, his nails always grew like lightning. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 she managed to clip one or more of the quicks each time!! When we got his furry sister the following year we switched to having her groomer doing it and she has been fantastic with him he happily heads out to have them done with her and we've had no bleeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bells21 wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the link!
    Yes I'm very scared too, he's 8 and for the first year we brought him to one particular woman to cut them. Despite being walked in urban concrete areas most days and opportunities to dig etc, his nails always grew like lightning. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 she managed to clip one or more of the quicks each time!! When we got his furry sister the following year we switched to having her groomer doing it and she has been fantastic with him he happily heads out to have them done with her and we've had no bleeding.

first time i did it i got brodi's quick (we have 2 boxers), these things happen, i've not done it since.

Great thing about being confident and doing it yourself is the simplicity, was sitting in Gaff on Saturday afternoon and noticed Brodi's nails were long, went and got the cutters, told he to sit and she gave me her paw, done in a minute.

Then my 4yr old painted her nails :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement