Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old account inquiry

Options
  • 25-01-2021 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,
    My name is Katherine Masterson. I’m Irish and currently live in San Francisco but am moving back to Ireland this year. I had a bank account with BOI from the 1980s and used it right up to around 2000. I never officially closed it. I’d like to find out if it’s still open. And if not, how I can reactivate it.
    Thank you, Katherine

My details:
    <removed>

Unfortunately, I don’t have the account number.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Katherine, I have removed your personal details from the post as this is a public forum accessible to anyone on the internet. If the reps need your information, they will ask you to send it to them via a private message. Thanks :) 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi there,
    My name is Katherine Masterson. I’m Irish and currently live in San Francisco but am moving back to Ireland this year. I had a bank account with BOI from the 1980s and used it right up to around 2000. I never officially closed it. I’d like to find out if it’s still open. And if not, how I can reactivate it.
    Thank you, Katherine

My details:
    <removed>

Unfortunately, I don’t have the account number.
    Hi Katherine,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

It's likely that the account has become dormant, this happens when an account has no customer initiated transactions for fifteen years. To confirm if this is the case you would need to post a letter to the branch you held the account with and include a certified copy of your passport and a proof of your current address (utility bill, statement from another bank) along with your contact phone number. The branch will contact you to advise if the account is still on our system. 

If the old account has been closed you can certainly apply for a new account before you move back to Ireland. We have a dedicated Coming to Ireland Team who can help you with this and you can request a call from the team using the Contact Us button on the link here.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement