Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Camcorder Tapes to PC

Options
  • 26-01-2021 10:37am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a problem thats PC related, and hopefully some knowledgeable
    input will set me right.

Question.
    I have some mini camcorder tapes that I want to transfer to my Dell Precision TS5500 pc
    I used to save them directly to my old laptop that had the smal square plug in , 4 pin firewire I think is the name.
    Buy my newer laptop has no plug socket this size to plug into. I bought a new lead with a 4 pin plug one end, and a usb the other end. But I have since discovered that a usb and 4 pin plug operate at a different voltage, so it does not work.

I am looking for a solution to be able to plug my mini camcorder into my existing Dell PC, maybe fitting an appropriate card into my PC.

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great, Thanks

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What's the make/model of the camcorder? Has it any other outputs besides firewire?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Maybe this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What's the make/model of the camcorder? Has it any other outputs besides firewire?

Its a Samsung Mini DV that uses small tapes. And the only out put is 4 pin firewire

Its a 4 pin firewire not a 6 pin,

Problem sorted. Dug out an old Thinkpad laptop that I thought was binned in my shed.
    managed to get it going and the mini camcorder connected, and it works ok.

Thanks,
    K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Glad you got sorted OP. I'm in the same boat. I was just about to open a similar thread. Hope someone can help. .

The camera I have is a JVC GR-D720EK. I've two cables for it but nothing to plug them into. The last compatible laptop I had died 7 years ago.

Is there an easier way to Cam > Firewire > USB > SSD > editing?

Philipx wrote: »
    Maybe this?

Have you tried it yourself? If I thought it was good I'd get two.

sligojoek wrote: »

My plug was the smallest firewire connection a 4 wire.
    That plug is for a 6 pin firewire.

I also read during my googles that a firewire to usb plug lead is not a success because one works on %v and the other is a different voltage.

I bought a usb/4pin firewire cable before I discovered this.
    It obviously did not work.

I saw many laptops on done deal with the correct firewire for small money. Thats what I intended to do, but found the old laptop.

If you have a pc, you could get a firewire card for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

sligojoek wrote: »

I haven't & it does seem that they can be problematic..

That's what I get for posting without research :eek::P:P

kadman wrote: »
    My plug was the smallest firewire connection a 4 wire.
    That plug is for a 6 pin firewire.

I also read during my googles that a firewire to usb plug lead is not a success because one works on %v and the other is a different voltage.

I bought a usb/4pin firewire cable before I discovered this.
    It obviously did not work.

I saw many laptops on done deal with the correct firewire for small money. Thats what I intended to do, but found the old laptop.

If you have a pc, you could get a firewire card for that.

Thanks Kadman.

Just rooted out the cables now. One is 4 pin, both ends identical. and the other is the 6 pin one.

I've another Sony camera fron the mid 2000s somewhere and I think there was a USB option on that. I'd prefer to use the JVC as it has very little work done.

The only other thing I have is a Philips Icon windows PC from 2004 with a firewire 6 pin input. I'd imagine it'd be to slow to be of any use anyway, and I cant remember the password.

• Advertisement

I'll have a look for a laptop over the weekend.

Advertisement