Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wife wants to book trip away for May. Am i being irrational about the risk

• 26-01-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So long story short.
    2 of my wifes close friends, all have the same family set up as us.

They are looking to book a trip to the popular camp holiday spot in Longford in May.

I've obviously got concerns surrounding covid, the numbers, will it be able to go ahead etc. And i've stressed these points with my wife but have also tipped into the realm of 'WTF ARE YE THINKING'
    I know this is part irrational due to all this lock down stuff, especially with the gov extending it to March now.
    Part of me wants the break and something to look forward to but i also just see it as dead hope.

then is there a chance that the place is open in May and we start looking at the daily numbers and start questioning going. Or potentially losing the money.

We all need hope and soemthing to look forward to but is this just me being irrational. We have the money , book it and see how it lies in May.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They might not even be open in May, June, July or further on. Who knows where the country will be at by then. We are in Level 5 until at least March and best case scenario they will start opening construction, gardening stores and maybe outdoor kiosks. I would imagine large water parks filled with families from all over the country packed into car parks, swimming pools and shared accomodation will be very low on the priority list.

I understand you need a break but maybe see what local amenities are open closer to the time and plan for a few days trips to the likes of Cliffs of Moher, garden areas or outdoor spots like Mizen Head etc. Thats likely the best you will get for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

A quick look at their website says they have a no quibble cancellation/dates moving in place until April 2022. So why not book and just move it forward if May rolls around and hospitality has not re opened?
    Regarding safety it looks like they have all of the right protocols in place vis-a-vis social distancing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Going to a place like that would be a no from me. Whether restrictions are in or out at that time. We will still be physical distancing and wearing face coverings etc. Also, do you really want to be in a pool with that many other people and just being in a close space with that many people.

We are just hoping to have a long weekend away in an air bnb or something. Wouldnt stay in a hotel this year personally and wouldn't feel comfortable at all in a place like that in longford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It is a bonkers idea. WTF is she thinking.

Sure the place might, on paper, look like they have all the right social distance and hygiene measures....on paper. But will the guests and staff actually stick to them in reality? I doubt it. Must remember that a lot of the staff are just seasonal staff who are only there for a few quid and, despite "being aware of procedures and plans" probably havent bothered to give it any more than a passing thought and just carry on whatever way they like.

Mental idea tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

This is one of those things where there is absolutely no point in arguing with your partner about it now as there is no right answer. No one knows what May will look like.

If it’s refundable, I don’t see any harm in booking it now and seeing what way the situation is by May. If nothing else, it may improve you and your partners mental health to have something to look forward to. And then ye can make a decision closer to the time when it’s clearer what way the numbers are going.

FWIW, I’ve been to the park (pre-Covid) and it’s very well set up for social distancing. It’s not a hotel, it’s all individual cabins and lodges which have their own entrances, gardens, private spaces etc. Fair enough the pool was crowded but I think I read that they were limiting numbers last year when they reopened and they’ve always operated a very good booking in advance system anyway, for everything; restaurants, spa, activities etc. so it would be easy enough to manage numbers.

As far as booking a holiday, it’s probably one of the safer options, especially with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

At the moment I wouldn’t do it. Not worth the risk. I understand the need to have something to look forward to and I’m guilty of looking at holiday sites and contemplating booking something but it’s far too soon imo. She’s mad if she thinks this is actually going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Pros: a nice holiday with the kids and some friends.

Cons: Possible Death.... or Covid... or Long Covid......

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CivilCybil

Having had a booking for the same place for early 2020 and having rearranged it numerous times, I'd say go ahead with the booking but realistically ye won't be going.

When they were open, the pool had to be booked and could only be booked for a limited time. For example for a five day stay a family could make two bookings and each booking was only for a couple of hours.

They give the option to postpone or cancel when their services aren't all available.
    The restaurants and bars were all closed too but their take out and delivery services were open.

We decided to postpone from may to September and then again until December. And now we've pushed it out to 2022.

There's been zero problems doing this. When I changed it from off peak to peak time the price went up (naturally).
    But I did also have the option of a refund.

I'd say let your wife book it. It's unlikely that the pool etc will be open and if they are, it'll be seriously limited numbers in it.
    If the pool is closed and park is open then there'll be no problems socially distancing because everything else is closed. It will literally be the cabin and the woodlands that are available. From memory before lockdown was announced in December they did a half price stay because nothing was open. It's literally just a change of scenery.
    Although personally I'd prefer to wait and have the full experience even if that means waiting until 2022 or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Booking a holiday away now give your wife something to look forward to!
    Sure we could all do with something to look forward to.

as long as they have a full refund /rebook guarantee then there is no harm at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not a mad idea we all need something to look forward to we have a house by the sea booked for end of june, free cancellation and our deposit back, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Pros: Better than no holiday

Cons: It's centre parcs, its Longford, expensive, wife's friends will be there.

I'd be looking at Portugal, Spain or Italy myself if I were in your shoes.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just check the fine print. That holiday spot offers lots of activities and I seem to remember when they did open, a lot of those were off limits due to restrictions. So check that you can move your booking even if they are only partially open. No point in paying a stiff amount of cash then going to sit in a chalet in the pissing rain with nothing to do when you could do that at home for free.

FWIW, we had a July 2020 holiday to Europe moved to July 2021. I'm going to hold off until around April or May when we see more vaccines happening to gauge whether or not I need to put it off until next year.

But right now in the cold wet weather we are having, focusing on that trip is all that keeps me going some days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

As some others have said even if they are open in May it is unlikely that the activities will all be open, restaurants will be closed, and the pool will be limited. I loved it there, we went Jan 2020 so everything was open. We spent most of the time in the pool or on the woodland walks. The restaurants were really good the take away was good too. Didn't do any of the activities but unless we could use the pool every day/ go to the restaurants I wouldn't be bother going.

If half the place is going to be closed and you can barely use the pool I wouldn't want to be there for more than the 3 nights as you'll just be sitting in the cabin (as nice as they are) or walking around the woods. Also just thinking if the pool/restaurants are limited (which they more than likely will be) and ye are in diff cabins ye would be classed as separate house holds and may not get pool times together and probably wouldn't be allowed to eat together if and that's a massive if the restaurants are open. Which if social distancing is still in place would be correct anyway as your family will have to stay away from her friends families.

I wanted to go to there again this year but I don't think I'll bother if it'll be so restricted. But when everything is lifted I will def be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We had our holiday there postponed to this july, and I'm assuming that we will postpone again as without the activities, it's a bungalow in Longford. (sorry longford!)

We worked out the price vs pool time (which is the only bit our children want!) and with their restrictions it was coming out to about 20 quid per minute. We will keep postponing until we can get back into the pool!

But I absolutely see the mental release in booking SOMETHING and having something on the calendar to look forward to, after having everything cancelled last year.

On the COVID risk... from being in centerparcs, you really don't have to interact with people outside your own group / bubble if you just use them as standalone holiday chalets. It depends, and they certainly *could* be responsible if they choose. Bring your food/drinks, watch films and have chats in the house. go for walks outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

C19Stress wrote: »
    So long story short.
    2 of my wifes close friends, all have the same family set up as us.

They are looking to book a trip to the popular camp holiday spot in Longford in May.

I've obviously got concerns surrounding covid, the numbers, will it be able to go ahead etc. And i've stressed these points with my wife but have also tipped into the realm of 'WTF ARE YE THINKING'
    I know this is part irrational due to all this lock down stuff, especially with the gov extending it to March now.
    Part of me wants the break and something to look forward to but i also just see it as dead hope.

then is there a chance that the place is open in May and we start looking at the daily numbers and start questioning going. Or potentially losing the money.

We all need hope and soemthing to look forward to but is this just me being irrational. We have the money , book it and see how it lies in May.

TIA

At this stage we all need a break away. Doesn't matter where at this point, I would happily go to the nearest hotel for a weekend away just to say its a break away.
    Given that the lockdown has been extended to March, god only knows what will happen after that.
    Personally I've made the decision to not book anything this year as it just leaves you in limbo. Maybe come September if things have calmed down I might change my mind but we've made the choice to just look forward to a nice walk of an evening rather than worrying if booking a hotel or holiday is worth the stress.
    Don't get me wrong, I would kill for a sun hoiliday and sit by the pool and forget the past year but in saying that, I can't afford to take a risk on paying for a hotel or holiday to be told it can't go forward.
    Many people have booked their plans in advance for a clear hope and it does give people the satisfaction of a hopeful holiday and that deserved break away. If you can afford the risk and genuinely think that there's a chance you'll get away then go for it
    If you at all concerned about it, express this concern and if its met with "ah give over" then see if you can leave the plans until after lockdown and see how your mind feels then

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Rent a cottage in donegal wide open spaces enormous beaches and a fab place for a holiday dont be like a herd of wilderbeest all going together to get in danger . Get a great big house for your family near the beach go kayaking walking swimming a lot less risk. Some women cant do anything original always have to have another woman along & do the same things. Be original take control and let the wife know a safe holiday or no holiday thats your deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

the north west is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭uli84

Just book it, at least something to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I imagine the ‘to book or not’ is between adults. And I really wouldn’t be happy agreeing to that. If it is booked though, and things are still dodgy, it sounds like your wife will still want to go ahead - and then you’re seen as Dad stopping us going on a fun holiday by your kids.

I say nip it in the bud now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Friends of mine went in August. I think it would be as safe as anywhere and with no quibble cancellation why not book it.

I’ve recently booked a hotel for July. Gives us something to look forward to. If we cant go cancellation is free and no harm done.

If its where I think it is, I know a work colleague went not so long ago (October, maybe?) and was very disappointed that many of the facilities were limited or not open at all, and had to be booked in advance, with strict time limits and the number of spots was capped per family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

saw some reviews from people who went during last lockdown/restrictions

Lots not open basically. I believe it’s a great place to I’d check to see what’s open and available to use before I booked.

But if there is a no quibble refund policy then you’ve nothing to loose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You'll be fully refunded, so there is no potential monetary loss involved here.
    It's hardly a trip to a busy and over-run tourist location she wants to book...
    This is not meant as criticism but there is a fine line between being sensible and over-reacting, and you need to find that for yourself.

You'll most likely pick it up from people you are in close contact with, i.e. the friends you see regularly and will be seeing there as well. Chances of picking it up from other people who'll be prancing around the forest are really minimal in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

wouldnt cost me a thought taking a holiday , its no risk to the vast vast majority of people under fifty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    wouldnt cost me a thought taking a holiday , its no risk to the vast vast majority of people under fifty

That’s not true. I know two people under 50 who have been very very sick. One in ICU. Both healthy and fit. I certainly don’t want to take my chances with it.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    wouldn't cost me a thought taking a holiday , its no risk to the vast vast majority of people under fifty

on 15/2/21 there were total covid 146 deaths aged 0-24, and 497 aged 25-44.

that's nearly 650 funerals, you muppet! Thats not not counting the many people who got seriously ill and recovered.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Xterminator not sure where you're getting your figures 15/2/21 hasn't occurred yet and figures end of January put deaths in under 44 age group at a cumulative total of 26 deaths?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries22/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Folks, the OP is looking for advice on whether to book a holiday or not in these pandemic times. I get that you're trying to add perspective, but just br mindful of offering advice to the OP as per the Charter when replying. PI isnt the place for debate over numbers etc

Thanks

HS

• Advertisement

my bad - wrong thread

my bad - wrong thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

You’d just book this safe in the knowledge that it’s cancellable.

Then make a call nearer the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

We've book 3 'staycations', June, July & August.
    We just confirmed with each booking that all deposits are refundable if restrictions do not allow travel.
    It's important to have something to look forward to and keep hope alive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

Shelli2 wrote: »
    We've book 3 'staycations', June, July & August.
    We just confirmed with each booking that all deposits are refundable if restrictions do not allow travel.
    It's important to have something to look forward to and keep hope alive!

We booked a house in cork for July. Hoping by then there won’t be intercounty restrictions etc.

Advertisement