Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to test pH of Garden Soil?

Options
  • 26-01-2021 12:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'm told that I need a value of 6.5 or less for a certain type of maple.

I was thinking I'd filter some distilled water through a soil sample and test the pH with litmus paper. But if I were to buy the litmus strips online then they won't give me the exact value, as you're judging shades of colour.

I think that generally if the pH of the soil is a certain value, then you can assume it's that value within the greater area. So if a local farmer were able to tell me that he has a particular value then I can assume mine is the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Most garden centres have little test kits. I've even seen them in Lidl. What type of maple are you growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't bother buying litmus paper, just buy a soil test kit instead. Don't assume you have the same Ph as surrounding farmland, as they are constantly adding products to achieve certain Phs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

Most garden centres have little test kits. I've even seen them in Lidl. What type of maple are you growing?
    I forget the exact name of it. It's the type that has green leaves throughout the year, and then the leaves turn bright red in autumn. But I'm told you only get that bright colour if the soil is less than pH 6.5. Otherwise the leaves will be more yellow in autumn.

It's not a red maple. The red maple is the one that's darker than the colour of red wine so I wouldn't even consider that to be red in my mind.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Don't bother buying litmus paper, just buy a soil test kit instead. Don't assume you have the same Ph as surrounding farmland, as they are constantly adding products to achieve certain Phs.
    The last one I priced was €18.50! But with that it also offers tests for nitrates, phosphates, potassium as well which I'm not looking for.

Maples aren't a fussy as most people think . Anywhere between 5ish and 7 ph (even 7.5) and they should be happy enough. As far as autum leaf colour is concerned, the weather has a bigger impact i find. Buy a test kit if you find your ground isn't perfect you can easily add supplements to help the tree out.

• Advertisement

Maples aren't a fussy as most people think . Anywhere between 5ish and 7 ph (even 7.5) and they should be happy enough. As far as autum leaf colour is concerned, the weather has a bigger impact i find. Buy a test kit if you find your ground isn't perfect you can easily add supplements to help the tree out.
    Do you know the type of maple I'm talking about? Have you planted one and seen the leaves turn bright red in autumn?

There are many that start green and then change.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/97935/Acer-palmatum-Dissectum-Viride-Group/Details

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_palmatum

Did you have it last year as a pic would help to identify it. ?

I've about 30 mapels. The leaf colour varies a bit from year to year.
    I've about 20 in pots and they can change even more. I've experimented with moving them to different parts of the garden to see how they do. The one thing they don't like is to much wind.

There are many that start green and then change.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/97935/Acer-palmatum-Dissectum-Viride-Group/Details

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_palmatum

Did you have it last year as a pic would help to identify it. ?

I've about 30 mapels. The leaf colour varies a bit from year to year.
    I've about 20 in pots and they can change even more. I've experimented with moving them to different parts of the garden to see how they do. The one thing they don't like is to much wind.
    I didn't plant (or collect) it yet, but it's paid for. It's an Acer rubrum

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lidl usually offer a Ph meter in the spring when they put on their gardening offers. Not expensive.

Lidl usually offer a Ph meter in the spring when they put on their gardening offers. Not expensive.
    I planted it since. The farmer told us the pH is definitely less than 6.5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement