Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no mobile or tablet for new 365

Options
  • 26-01-2021 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I do not have a mobile phone or tablet that is required for the new secure on 365. How can I access my account on 365?? I only use a PC for 365.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnlcvi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

johnlcvi wrote: »
    I do not have a mobile phone or tablet that is required for the new secure on 365. How can I access my account on 365?? I only use a PC for 365.
    Hi johnlcvi,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Due to new regulations we will require extra identification when you log on to 365 Online. To help confirm your identity we've added two-factor authentication to our security process. This means you will need a "security device" with you each time you log on to 365 Online or carry out certain transactions, such as making a payment.

We do recommend using a smartphone or tablet but if you don't have one you can order a Physical Security Key (PSK) instead. This is a small handheld device that we will post to you. These will be available to order on the 365 Online log in page in the coming months and you can continue to use the older version of the website until these are available.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

... you can continue to use the older version of the website until these are available.

Thanks
    Tara
    Is there a link for this? I would prefer to not be increasingly dependent on the single point of failure that is my phone, (and google account, but that's a different issue).
    If access to the older version of 365online for a little longer that would be great news.

/Kiffer

EDIT 15:06. I read through 5 pages of the New Site Thread, and found: https://original.365online.com
    I guess I can check my accounts today after all!
    Woo hoo!
    Looking forward to all the In Branch Business I do over the rest of the pandemic.

kiffer wrote: »
    Is there a link for this? I would prefer to no not increasingly dependent on a single point of failure that my phone, (and google account, but that's a different issue)
    If access to the older version of 365online for a little longer that would be great news.

/Kiffer

EDIT 15:06. I read through 5 pages of the New Site Thread, and found:  https://original.365online.com
    I guess I can check my accounts today after all!
    Woo hoo!
    Looking forward to all the In Branch Business I do over the rest of the pandemic.
    Hi kiffer,

Thanks for your comments. When logging on to the desktop site there is an option 'I don't have the app' which will direct you to the old site. 

If you have a tablet you can set this up as an additional security device along with your smartphone. I've set this up as a back up, in case I lose my mobile.

Thanks
    Tara 

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭vafankillar

johnlcvi wrote: »
    Hi johnlcvi,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Due to new regulations we will require extra identification when you log on to 365 Online. To help confirm your identity we've added two-factor authentication to our security process. This means you will need a "security device" with you each time you log on to 365 Online or carry out certain transactions, such as making a payment.

We do recommend using a smartphone or tablet but if you don't have one you can order a Physical Security Key (PSK) instead. This is a small handheld device that we will post to you. These will be available to order on the 365 Online log in page in the coming months and you can continue to use the older version of the website until these are available.

Thanks
    Tara
    who brought in these new regulations that you need two devices to use your bank account on desktop?

• Advertisement

who brought in these new regulations that you need two devices to use your bank account on desktop?
    Hi vafankillar,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

The European Commission told all European banks that they have to put an extra layer of security onto all electronic payments so that customers are extra protected when online. It’s a regulation that we all have to follow and is known as PSD2. You can find more information at: https://www.bankofireland.com/the-second-payment-services-directive/

Thanks, 
    Tara

Hi vafankillar,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

The European Commission told all European banks that they have to put an extra layer of security  so that customers are extra protected when online. It’s a regulation that we all have to follow and is known as PSD2. You can find more information at: www.bankofireland.com/PSD2 

Thanks, 
    Tara
    okay so the regulation actually states "extra layer" of security, not necessarily have to be multiple devices or while simply logging in, i.e "onto all electronic payments". bizarre reaction to the regulation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

okay so the regulation actually states "extra layer" of security, not necessarily have to be multiple devices or while simply logging in, i.e "onto all electronic payments". bizarre reaction to the regulation

Not whatsoever, you wouldn't be saying this if your account was hacked.

There's usually three ways it works, a mobile App, a text code to your phone or a physical key.

An email address is not secure. If a person has access to your online banking they more than likely have access to your email.

Great to see bank of Ireland implementing this.

Well done!

bunnyboxer wrote: »

Not whatsoever, you wouldn't be saying this if your account was hacked.

There's usually three ways it works, a mobile App, a text code to your phone or a physical key.

An email address is not secure. If a person has access to your online banking they more than likely have access to your email.

Great to see bank of Ireland implementing this.

Well done!
    actually my account was hacked 30 times the last few years due to not using numberous devices as a security measure

actually my account was hacked 30 times the last few years due to not using numberous devices as a security measure

I take that as sarcasm but it does happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

It's disgraceful that BoI is insisting people who use the web to access their online banking must have an internet-connected smartphone or tablet to log in.

You can access most of the online banking services using the app.
    You need the app to log in to the website.
    What is the point of having the web service?
    !!!

A more inclusive way of implementing this would have been to offer a webtext service to satisfy the extra layer of security, like my credit union does.
    I have been asked constantly when logging into the web service in recent months to ensure my mobile phone number is up to date. I presumed it was for this reason. But now it seems that was a pointless exercise!

redron74 wrote: »
    It's disgraceful that BoI is insisting people who use the web to access their online banking must have an internet-connected smartphone or tablet to log in.

!!!

A more inclusive way of implementing this would have been to offer a webtext service to satisfy the extra layer of security, like my credit union does.

You can get a free security key either which displays a unique code that you need to enter whenever you login. Can go on your key ring I presume.

Yea a txt service would be nice as well.

bunnyboxer wrote: »

!!!

You can get a free security key either which displays a unique code  that you need to enter whenever you login. Can go on your key ring I presume.

Yea a txt service would be nice as well.
    There is no mention of this security key device on the web page. The earlier post in this thread says it will become available "in the coming months".
    I can't find a link to the old login page from the website... it seems to have been updated today (or maybe yesterday).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

!!!

I have been asked constantly when logging into the web service in recent months to ensure my mobile phone number is up to date. I presumed it was for this reason. But now it seems that was a pointless exercise!

Text messages are pretty terrible for two factor security. The app is far safer, with a security key as the next safest alternative.

Text messages should be made illegal for security purposes in my opinion. They make things worse by giving a false sense of security.
    Right now SMS based systems are not quite yet the low hanging fruit, but in a year or so they will be.. so expect more CUs etc that don't use an app or a key to be targeted next.

km991148 wrote: »

!!!

Text messages are pretty terrible for two factor security. The app is far safer, with a security key as the next safest alternative.

Text messages should be made illegal for security purposes in my opinion. They make things worse by giving a false sense of security.
    Right now SMS based systems are not quite yet the low hanging fruit, but in a year or so they will be.. so expect more CUs etc that don't use an app or a key to be targeted next.
    I would be interested in knowing why SMS is so much less secure than the app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I assume because there is another layer (after the phone is unlocked, if it has a lock) of authentication before you get into the app. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

!!!

Hi Redron74,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today.

You can continue to use the old site here until you receive a security key. This can be ordered when you are logged in by selecting "service desk" > "ask a question". We hope this helps. We really appreciate your feedback on this and will certainly share this with our development team. 

Thanks,
    Richard

Extremely easy (trivial) to clone a sim card and get your security code delivered to another device. This is fine for now because most systems don't use any two factor auth. But pretty soon we will all be used to it, so the easiest thing to hack will be grabbing SMS codes. It already happens quite a lot, but expect more.

An app however, you are using a secure comms channel between the banks server and the banks app. End to end encrypted, no one can see it or intercept it (or at least much, much harder to do so).

The analogy would be: two factor delivered by SMS is like putting personal details on a postcard and sending it, Vs a sealed special delivery signed for envelope.

Except in the postcard scenario, the postcard could also be re routed to someone else (or a copy of it). The special delivery scenario would be the bank owning the envelope, the courier, the lot.

Edit: so yes, you are right, it is much more accessible, but like most things there is a compromise, it comes with weakened security. That's why they bank prefers the app. Now you can also get a hardware key (also secure) but probably more expensive to give everyone a hardware key, plus a lot less convenient for most people.

beauf wrote: »
    I assume because there is another layer (after the phone is unlocked, if it has a lock) of authentication before you get into the app. 

That as well, but mainly because of the inherent weakness in SMS technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

There is no mention of this security key device on the web page. The earlier post in this thread says it will become available "in the coming months".
    I can't find a link to the old login page from the website... it seems to have been updated today (or maybe yesterday).
    Exactly on both comments, they actually had a link to the "I dont have a smartphone and still want to use the old banking 365 option until the PSK arrives" but then blatantly said that will be in months (which boi stated in the last few days),
    Then they removed the old365 link without warning and no hardware PSK device available, no option to request and no link to order one.

bloody joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

1874 wrote: »
    Exactly on both comments, they actually had a link to the "I dont have a smartphone and still want to use the old banking 365 option until the PSK arrives" but then blatantly said that will be in months (which boi stated in the last few days),
    Then they removed the old365 link without warning and no hardware PSK device available, no option to request and no link to order one.

bloody joke
    Hi there, thanks for your post here on Boards.ie. 

Please be assured that you can still log in to the old Banking 365 website. I have provided a link below to where you can log in this way, I hope it helps. 

https://bit.ly/36k0lXk 

You can now pre-order a PSK if you log in to Banking 365 and select 'Service Desk' > 'Ask a Question' or by calling our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 and one of my colleagues would be happy to help. 

We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us here, we'll be sure to pass it along to relevant department. 

Thanks, Eve 

Please be assured that you can still log in to the old Banking 365 website. I have provided a link below to where you can log in this way, I hope it helps.

You can now pre-order a PSK if you log in to Banking 365 and select 'Service Desk' > 'Ask a Question' or by calling our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 and one of my colleagues would be happy to help.

We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us here, we'll be sure to pass it along to relevant department.

Thanks, Eve

So, these PSK devices either can or cannot be ordered??
    Aside from the fact you directions for such an order, do NOT lead to specific PSK order section, just checked, the reply I got t my request, below.

"Good Morning,
    Thank you for contacting the Online Service Desk. The PSK is not yet available to order. When it is there will be an option and instruction about how to place order on B365 desktop.
    I wish to acknowledge and to apologise for the difficulty you have experienced with our upgraded App.

Bank of Ireland appreciates your feedback on this matter and I have referred it to our customer experience team for future consideration."

You should probably get your story straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Thanks, Eve

Aside from  the fact you directions for such an order, do NOT lead to specific PSK  order section, just checked, the reply I got t my request, below.

"Good Morning,
    Thank you for contacting the Online Service Desk. The PSK is not yet available to order. When it is there will be an option and instruction about how to place order on B365 desktop.
    I wish to acknowledge and to apologise for the difficulty you have experienced with our upgraded App.  

Bank  of Ireland appreciates your feedback on this matter and I have referred  it to our customer experience team for future consideration."

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you kindly send us a private message with your secure message reference number and we will be happy to help further.

Many thanks,
    Megan

Thanks, Eve

Aside from  the fact you directions for such an order, do NOT lead to specific PSK  order section, just checked, the reply I got t my request, below.

"Good Morning,

Bank  of Ireland appreciates your feedback on this matter and I have referred  it to our customer experience team for future consideration."

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you kindly send us a private message with your secure message reference number and we will be happy to help further.

Many thanks,
    Megan
    What? are you talking about? I got a reply within banking 365, why would I contact you? I already made the enquiry and the reply stated the devices aren't available, I highighted it in bold, despite it mentioned in the thread it is possible to order them, the message I copied and pasted from my banking 365.
    So whats with the cryptic response?? are you trying to state the devices are available now, or what?
    Couldnt you just answer here and say what you want to say, instead of requiring someone to contact you back further still?
    It is not like its something specific to my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Thanks for getting back to us here on boards.ie.

We would just need the reference number from the Secure Message you sent to the Team. We will then be happy to raise this with them to be looked into further for you. As this would be a public forum, we would not advise you to send this here, but in a private message.

Thanks, Aisling

Advertisement