Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulating on top of the cavity closing block in roof?

• 26-01-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

I probably will not explain this very well. I am putting more rockwool insulation into the attic floor. There is already 150mm in between the joists but it only runs out to the edge of the inner block wall.

At the eaves I see the block that closes the cavity and running on top of that block is a long wooden beam (is this the wall plate?) which I guess is the platform for the rafters.

Should I insulate above the 'wall plate' and to the other side of the 'closing block' so that I am essentially covering the outer block wall too? This would mean the insulation is almost touching the soffit. Or is it dangerous to cover the timber? Obviously I will ensure the soffit vents are uncovered. The question is how far out into the eaves should my insulation go?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I probably will not explain this very well. I am putting more rockwool insulation into the attic floor. There is already 150mm in between the joists but it only runs out to the edge of the inner block wall.

At the eaves I see the block that closes the cavity and running on top of that block is a long wooden beam (is this the wall plate?) which I guess is the platform for the rafters.

Should I insulate above the 'wall plate' and to the other side of the 'closing block' so that I am essentially covering the outer block wall too? This would mean the insulation is almost touching the soffit. Or is it dangerous to cover the timber? Obviously I will ensure the soffit vents are uncovered. The question is how far out into the eaves should my insulation go?

Does this help?
    https://www.xtratherm.ie/app/uploads/2020/09/XT-XWP-1.09-1.10-Eaves-Rev-4.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ginger83 wrote: »

Yes it does. That cavity doesn't seem to have a closing block though.
    I never realised you could have the insulation touching the eaves.
    It looks as though I should cover the outer leaf and stuff the insulation right up to the rafters in the eaves. Thanks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

That looks very tight to eaves in the diagram. I thought you had to leave a decent gap and pull back from the edge so the ventilation is unimpeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Biker1

That looks very tight to eaves in the diagram. I thought you had to leave a decent gap and pull back from the edge so the ventilation is unimpeded.

That diagram shows counter battens and a ventilation tray. Under these conditions the insulation can go out further than normally would be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Nothwithstanding the ventilation question, unless you are also going to externally insulate the wall there is no point doing this. This cavity closing block as described is ultimately a thermal bridge and therefore putting insulation on top only is as useful as an astray on a motorbike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement