Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiagra 4700 Query

Options
  • 26-01-2021 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

So my shifter broke on the road bike. I have Tiagra 4700 10 speed. Reading about the different cable pulls and what not..

If I upgrade my shifter to 11 speed 105 and install a 11 speed cassette... will the rear tiagra 4700 mech work and shift to 11 speeds?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I believe the cable pull is different on the the 11 speed shifters to the 10, I doubt it would work and if it did, it would be patchy at best. I believe the spacing between gears on 11 speed is narrower than 10 speed too.

The 11 speed cassette may not fit on your rear wheel either, that depends on the wheel. Most 10 speed wheels will take 8/9 speed fine but not 11 but it really depends on the wheel

Cheapest solution is to replace the single shifter. Any 10speed shimano one will work fine, there's plenty of 10 speed 105/Ultegra for sale, so it wouldn't have to be Tiagra

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭randomstuff

That's the thing, reading online, cable pull ratio on 10 speed 4700 tiagra is suppose to be same as 11 speed. Just the shifter shifts 10 times instead of 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

That's the thing, reading online, cable pull ratio on 10 speed 4700 tiagra is suppose to be same as 11 speed. Just the shifter shifts 10 times instead of 11.

A quick bit of googling tells me the rear mech pull ratio is also different between 10-11. It would probably work but I think it would require fairly dialled in setup if it even would.

If you are looking at replacing the shifter and cassette anyway, I'd just buy a second hand 105 rear mech too and have things match up. The rear mechs can be gotten for 25/30 quid. Saves all the heartbreak.

I've an 11 speed setup on my DD turbo, and my better halfs bike is 10 speed, it works but its not smooth shifting. Its the best example I can give of 'just because it can be, doesn't mean it should be' :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So my shifter broke on the road bike. I have Tiagra 4700 10 speed. Reading about the different cable pulls and what not..

If I upgrade my shifter to 11 speed 105 and install a 11 speed cassette... will the rear tiagra 4700 mech work and shift to 11 speeds?

Thanks.

Yep, they have same pull ratio. Tiagra 4700 is unique as it has same pull as 11 speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

As far as im aware it does work, as ive heard of people doing this.
    In theory it should as it shares the same shift ratio, derailleur movement to cable movement as 11 speed.
    The only difference is the cable pull 11 speed will use slightly less as the cogs are spaced slightly more closer together and therefore the derailleur needs to move less per shift. So yes with 11 speed cable pull (shifter) a tiagra mech should index fine with an 11 speed cassette.
    Only issue might be is that the jockey wheels are designed for 10 speed rather than 11 speed.
    But as above id try buying second hand 11 speed derailleurs, theyre not consumables and have already depreciated. Ebay uk is great for that kind of stuff but not sure what its like buying from there post brexit
    Just make sure you have a 11 speed freehub

• Advertisement
Advertisement