Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three.ie is handing over your Covid movements.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Irrespective of the possible good-intention motive, I still think it is a bad move, and probably illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Kivaro wrote: »
    Irrespective of the possible good-intention motive, I still think it is a bad move, and probably illegal.

This is completely anonymous data. Nothing illegal about it. Vodafone did the same years ago with TomTom for instance.

There are thousands of users per cell, the mistress we ok stay the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What’s the problem?

grogi wrote: »
    This is completely anonymous data. Nothing illegal about it. Vodafone did the same years ago with TomTom for instance.

Can we be certain that it is completely anonymous?

Jim Root wrote: »
    What’s the problem?

Paranoia

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Paranoia

Privacy laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good.

I heard they can't track you if you wrap the phone in tin foil.

Privacy laws.

That's ops data, it is not sensitive information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭davetherave

The CSO, in issuing its latest data release, said the data is based on 'anonymised, aggregated, mobile phone activity records.'

"Data from Three Ireland is collated from anonymised data sets at a macro scale, aggregated at Electoral Division and provided to the Department of Health," it said.

It's hardly just "my" Covid Movements now is it? It's the anonymised movements of "Naas Urban" or "Naas Rural" or Maynooth or "Rathmines West D" or Howth.

• Advertisement

It's hardly just "my" Covid Movements now is it? It's the anonymised movements of "Naas Urban" or "Naas Rural" or Maynooth or "Rathmines West D" or Howth.

Ssssh, get out of here with your "facts". OP wants to feel outraged, allow him the pleasure of being misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭bmc58

Not illegal.No names mentioned in any movement of persons.,just general movement of people.So says Jess Kelly of Newstalk "fame".

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re aggregating and anonymising the information, that’s doesn’t actually amount to handing over anyone’s movements if it’s not traceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Great, catch those who are breaking the rules and fine them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

just because it done in the name of covid and it is individual sims damn right it illegal have removed sim will use whatapps and voip now

agoodpunt wrote: »
    just because it done in the name of covid and it is individual sims damn right it illegal have removed sim will use whatapps and voip now

What even is grammar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

In years gone by the "anonymising" process for this kind of thing has been flawed by certain operators

Two lads around the laptop in the DoH;

"Jaysus Matt, would ya ever look at this yoke? He's 12kms from home now and no sign of him stopping. It's the likes of him has us where we are for sure. Dirty fecker."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

What I love about the defenders of this sort of act is that they will steadfastly state (without any reluctance) that "yes, this is true, they can and are tracking you, but they don't have your name or know who you are."

That's just nonsense! Rest assured if needs be they absolutely would be willing to do this.

Don't get confused into thinking that this is somehow a dismissal of this being of value. I personally don't support it, but if you do then that's fair enough. The dismissal of any concerns about privacy laws or people not wanting their every movement to be tracked in some database is ridiculous though, and I'm certainly not going to rely on the word of some techie journo with a moderate profile, nor am I going to go on the word of a large commercial enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kivaro wrote:

Nah. It's no different to what the likes of Facebook do each day. Actually Facebook is worse in that it sells the data.

This same data from three, Vodafone etc is used on Google maps and Tom Tom. When you see solid red roads on maps, this data comes from all the phones sitting in rush hour traffic. The amount of phones on a stretch of road and how long it takes to get from one part of the road to another is all collected and shared in real time with map companies.

Perfectly legal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's fairytale nonsense. You need to wear a foil hat to stop them tracking you

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Like something you would see in Russia. They are getting money for it too, it's not a civic duty the company is doing...
    Three Mobile would not be drawn on the value of the contract nor the timeframe it covers, describing that information as “commercially sensitive”. However, it’s understood that the CSO will continue to provide the data each Monday for at least the next number of weeks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214021.html

Like something you would see in Russia. They are getting money for it too, it's not a civic duty the company is doing...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214021.html

It's almost the exact opposite of what you would see in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's fairytale nonsense. You need to wear a foil hat to stop them tracking you

Foil onesie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the irony of op posting his link wrapped in google tracking stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I heard it can't be tracked if you leave it at home. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Big Government is Good Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just wait until you hear what google can do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I don't have a three phone. I'm outraged at not being tracked

Advertisement