Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three.ie is handing over your Covid movements.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz747

There are many avenues for income for companies such as Three. One thing is for sure, if they are passing on movement data etc... They would be expecting something in return.

I would assume governments would go to the likes of google for that information instead of a unreliable source such as Three

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I heard it can't be tracked if you leave it at home. ;)

the only way to be really certain is to smash the phone with a hammer. a hammer mind, smashing it with something else doesn't stop it transmitting your information. Don't ask me to explain how that works.

the only way to be really certain is to smash the phone with a hammer. a hammer mind, smashing it with something else doesn't stop it transmitting your information. Don't ask me to explain how that works.

A hammer mind.....points finger like michael caine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The internet conspiracy 5g nutjobs will hit the roof :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From the article https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214021.html
    Mobile phone carrier Three is providing the aggregated movement data of its 2.4m Irish customers to the Department of Health and the CSO in order to monitor compliance with Covid-19 public health and movement restrictions.

The deal between the Department and Three sees the movement data from all handsets on the carrier’s network anonymised and grouped in order to show what proportion of people have been straying more than 10km from home.

It seems to me 3 are doing all the work and simply handing over anonymous reports of all its customers. Whether that is ok or not is up for debate but its aggregated data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Is this GPS data or mast hits? If GPS, you can just turn it off right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

In years gone by the "anonymising" process for this kind of thing has been flawed by certain operators
    The AOL search engine dataset is quite legendary for all the wrong reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_search_data_leak

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

the irony of op posting his link wrapped in google tracking stuff....

No issue with it personally, it's aggregated data plus I'm with Gomo!

Btw could you fix the link I was unable to post it properly, thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No issue with it personally, it's aggregated data plus I'm with Gomo!

Btw could you fix the link I was unable to post it properly, thanks?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214021.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's fairytale nonsense. You need to wear a foil hat to stop them tracking you

e7774efd6151220a4bf524d8bf9dd94c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭circadian

Kivaro wrote: »
    Can we be certain that it is completely anonymous?

No.

Dangerous saying it has been anonymised instead of stating that the data has undergone an anonymisation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

What's the benefit to government in having this information? It's nearly a year now and based on how things have been handled so far I'd have no confidence in them putting it to any meaningful use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They won't learn much from my movements at the moment anyway. At home, still at home, had a look outside, back in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

What's the benefit to government in having this information? It's nearly a year now and based on how things have been handled so far I'd have no confidence in them putting it to any meaningful use.

I think for instance if they tell people to stay within 5km of their homes and they don't see the drop in cases they expect, then it would be worth knowing if the numbers didn't drop because 5km isn't enough or the numbers didn't drop because people are ignoring the restriction

I'm ok with them sharing my data in this case anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm guessing data won't be much use given 3"s coverage generally s**** :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Is this GPS data or mast hits? If GPS, you can just turn it off right?

No, I believe its cellular data not GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I'm ok with them sharing my data in this case anyway

you may be but I'm not.
    I'm not owned by that state to track and trace.

Sure it's for covid - a noble cause but with all things can't see the cso stopping post covid this cos that data is useful.
    3 won't stop cos it's a cash bump for them.

It's a slippery slope and anybody who cant see that isn't the full shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,996 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

paw patrol wrote: »
    you may be but I'm not.

Sure it's for covid - a noble cause but with all things can't see the cso stopping post covid this cos that data is useful.

Anonymous data?

Are you sure you know what is happening here?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Anonymous data?

how anonymous? they haven't said.

I do a lot of work with data as part of my work in IT - anonymous data can be used to build a picture and suddenly you aren't so anonymous .

anyway we as citizens shouldnt be tracked - the point stands.
    ELM327 wrote: »

and no , I'm not sure.
    But I don't like what i do know.

I do a lot of work with data as part of my work in IT - anonymous data can be used to build a picture and suddenly you aren't so anonymous .

anyway we as citizens should be tracked - the point stands.

it is aggregated mast data. the only info that was related to you was the imei number of your phone. that would be removed in the aggregation. if you dont want to be tracked then get rid of your mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the data contained no specific identification data I can’t see an issue and if not then it certainly wouldn’t be illegal

The DPC very quite on this which is curious. If your a 3 customer, you'll know how quick they are to throw GDPR nonsense at you when making the simplest of enquiries, indeed most companies very fond of GDPR when it comes to avoiding any contact with their customers.

Curious then why 3 didn't offer a choice to its customers on any data being shared no matter what it's intended use is.

I've spoken to a friend working in a 3 store and the phone is hoping with complaints and concerns (could be lockdown boredom however)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They can use this data to determine what areas are hotspots for the movement of people, and then redeploy Gardai based on this data.

Outside of the pandemic it can also be very useful as mobility data. For example, if they know that half of all journeys within a particular area are less than 5km, then they can prioritise investment in paths and cycling facilities.

If they know that 10% of all journeys in a particular town are people travelling to another town, then they can prioritise upgrading the road between the two.

And so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

anyway we as citizens shouldnt be tracked - the point stands.

and no , I'm not sure.
    But I don't like what i do know.

It could be worse, the State is proposing to hand over personal information on all arrivals at Dublin Airport to a foreign government.

it is aggregated mast data. the only info that was related to you was the imei number of your phone. that would be removed in the aggregation. if you dont want to be tracked then get rid of your mobile phone.

I'm afraid I can't get rid of it just like that - it's a beautiful system that created that to function and run my business I need this device but have to pay the cost of loss of privacy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The DPC very quite on this which is curious. If your a 3 customer, you'll know how quick they are to throw GDPR nonsense at you when making the simplest of enquiries, indeed most companies very fond of GDPR when it comes to avoiding any contact with their customers.

Curious then why 3 didn't offer a choice to its customers on any data being shared no matter what it's intended use is.

I've spoken to a friend working in a 3 store and the phone is hoping with complaints and concerns (could be lockdown boredom however)

nothing curious about it. they are not sharing personally identifiable data.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

this is what happens when people read an article on gdpr and think they are suddenly data protection experts

the only thing worse than a fool, is a fool that thinks hes smart

nothing curious about it. they are not sharing personally identifiable data.

According to who exactly? O yes 3.

I further wonder what led to the info on who's been supplying this data, Government could have easily said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

you may be but I'm not.

If the state wants to track and trace you it can easily do it, there are several ways that they can do it legally and many more illegal ways. So why would they bother adding your data to thousands of others to then pull out later when they can easily track an individual?

• Advertisement

this is what happens when people read an article on gdpr and think they are suddenly data protection experts

the only thing worse than a fool, is a fool that thinks hes smart

By default and through governments own admission 3 customers (Only) movements are being tracked and without their permission. I get the GDPR parameters but 3 customers movements are being tracked. If all networks were sharing data maybe a different argument could be argued.

Advertisement