Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three.ie is handing over your Covid movements.

Options
13»

Comments

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the state wants to track and trace you it can easily do it, there are several ways that they can do it legally and many more illegal ways. So why would they bother adding your data to thousands of others to then pull out later when they can easily track an individual?

Because some people will always want to feel like they are being personally affected even when it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

paw patrol wrote: »
    how anonymous? they haven't said.

I do a lot of work with data as part of my work in IT - anonymous data can be used to build a picture and suddenly you aren't so anonymous .

Understandable, I get your point on this
    Is that known as k-anonymity or something I think?

Convoluted example, but like in the example of the 5k thing, if there were only two people living in a rural area and they are both anonymous then the k-anonymity value is 2 because they are anonymous but we know it's one of those 2 people

I'd imagine they have some way of making sure this doesn't happen but I'm not sure what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have barely coverage with them as it is

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Couldn't give a ****e really. It's not like they'll actually learn anything from my movements (or lack thereof).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Faugheen wrote: »
    Couldn't give a ****e really. It's not like they'll actually learn anything from my movements (or lack thereof).
    They could learn what you had for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Kivaro wrote: »
    They could learn what you had for dinner.

Spaghetti bolognaise and very poorly baked garlic bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Faugheen wrote: »
    But you'll presumably appreciate that others may have a a different view of their movements being shared without there consent?

Your 'lack of movement' is exactly what they're hoping to learn from it, btw.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Anonymous data?

Are you sure you know what is happening here?

Are you sure you know the challenges and dangers of anonymising data?

But you'll presumably appreciate that others may have a a different view of their movements being shared without there consent?

Your 'lack of movement' is exactly what they're hoping to learn from it, btw.

Are you sure you know the challenges and dangers of anonymising data?
    Like??? Im genuinely interested

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rusty cole wrote: »
    Like??? Im genuinely interested

Like the example given earlier in the thread;

Advertisement